JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2 (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
madmax-furyroad-gifs-8-26576.gif

#FakeNews

100.gif

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the film. I gave this a 6, where as the first movie was a 8 or 9.

For me, this film lacked everything the first film had and didn't bring anything new to the table. In the first film, we discover John Wick and we learn why the underworld calls him The Boogeyman, a straight up bad ass. The movie did a great job with the asshole kid, that when he kills the dog and steals the car. You can't help but to feel for John Wick. You become somewhat emotionally tied to him. You root for him, you cheer for him and in the end, you want John Wick to get revenge. Every scene was fresh and intense. This movie was fun.

As for the second film, it still retains the good action scenes. However, it's the same scene over and over and over and over. Headshot, headshot, leg shot, headshot, scramble with guy, headshot 2 incoming guys, shoot guy you were scrambling with. Rinse and repeat with different environment. And this goes on for the entire movie. The hitman/woman scenes were great, but The Common and supermodel fight were a let down. I was expecting raid boss fight scenes like Mad Dog, Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat Man from The Raid series. Except all I got was a blue balls that left me saying, "WTF, that's it?". I wasn't emotionally tied with John Wick this time around. I already knew he was a badass, nothing was taking from him in this film that made me root for him. The villain didn't really do anything bad to him nor did I really feel he deserved to die as with the teenage douchebag in the first film. Without spoiling it, John Wick decides to go back into the game because there are rules to follow in the dark underworld. However, at the end he breaks them anyways, which leaves me like the Jackie Chan WTF.

Go see the movie if you like the first one. However, it's not as good. Rental imo.
XdRonKH_zpskwylwiky.gif

Why do you hate freedom?
Holy shit this movie is awesome. As an MMA fan and guy who trains it's amazing to see BJJ and judo used so much along with the gun fighting. Omoplata and I believe berimbolo were there, amongst triangle, kata guruma, ogoshi etc. Movie is fucking great
Oh yeah, as a judoka, JW2 was a treat.

I saw like 2 or 3 sode tsurikomi goshis, multiple seoi nages, a tomoe nage, a yoko otoshi...

Seen it last night, fantastic, it's up there with the first one. Just an all-around fun movie.

Film was nice with the visuals and action.

Had to dart out of the cinemas just as the lobby manager directed John towards the water fountain, so I'm not quite sure what happened once he got out the car.

Film was nice with the visuals and action.

Had to dart out of the cinemas just as the lobby manager directed John towards the water fountain, so I'm not quite sure what happened once he got out the car.

Winston told him he was Excommunicado and said the High Table had doubled the bounty on his head. He said he'd give him an hour head start before the new contract went global. Keanu says, "I'll kill them. I'll kill them all." Winston replies, "Of course you will." then the film ends with Keanu and his dog running through the park as everyone around him is getting text messages about the new bounty.

Winston told him he was Excommunicado and said the High Table had doubled the bounty on his head. He said he'd give him an hour head start before the new contract went global. Keanu says, "I'll kill them. I'll kill them all." Winston replies, "Of course you will." then the film ends with Keanu and his dog running through the park as everyone around him is getting text messages about the new bounty.

Nice!

I'll find a stream and scroll to near the end.

John's got this lol

I liked it, but only gave it a 7. It fell flat for me compared to the first and didn't deliver when I really wanted in to. Also, Raid 2 is better than either John Wick film despite me loving the first one(WIck).

just saw the film im a little deaf 75% of the budget went into bullets and blood.

Holy shit this movie is awesome. As an MMA fan and guy who trains it's amazing to see BJJ and judo used so much along with the gun fighting. Omoplata and I believe berimbolo were there, amongst triangle, kata guruma, ogoshi etc. Movie is fucking great
he shot a guy in the face while applying a triangle.

he pinned a guy to the floor with an empty shot gun loaded it and shot him point blank holy shit

Saw this yesterday. Hoolllyy shit. It's balls out insane and down right awesome. I highly reccomend it if you liked the first one.

I'm disappointed he went from using an HK P30 as his primary sidearm to a Glock. Glocks aren't sexy!

I feel like an asshole. Just an out-and-out cretin.

As a rule, I try to support the movies that support me. And by that I mean I try to make a point of getting to the theater for the movies that are to my taste. I want fill the studios' coffers when they make something worth making. But I failed to do that for Jonathan Wickery the Second, and I feel like a dick for it.

But alas, nothing to be done about that now. I watched it at home last night and HOLY SHIT was it good! I was not prepared to enjoy it as much as I did! It's the rare sequel that surpasses the original.

And I liked the original. I thought it was a solid 7.5 action film, and it felt like a breath of fresh air in the way that it felt different from pretty much every other action movie coming out today. And usually when a studio takes the "bigger and better" approach for a sequel, I think it falls flat. Bigger and better is NOT always the answer. But in this case it really was. I loved the action, I loved Rome as a setting, and I loved the design of the film. There are some really great looking scenes here. The mirror scene near the end really stands out and it was a great throwback to Enter the Dragon's hall of mirrors finale.

Also, I have to point out that while I'm starting to get a little tired of the whole "bad ass bitch" trope, but I thought this girl was pretty cool:

john-wick-2-ruby-rose-ares-600x400.jpg

Another scene that really stood out to me was the scene with the telephone operators, down in the room where the contracts are processed. I liked the weird anachronism of these bitches running a 1930s-style phone switch, with a dearth of electronics (the only computer that is seen in the room is some black-and-green shit that looks like it's from the 80s). I wish I had a screencap but I can't seem to find one.

Hmm, criticisms? Not much, though I do have to point out two observations: While it goes without saying that the action is over the top, it really did strain credulity that he's got this crazy body armor but he's the ONLY one, and he can consistently hit head shots on everyone else but like 10 guys can't seem to land one on him. It was also kind of funny how in almost every scene, when crazy shit starts happening, the crowd in the public spaces rarely act with much alarm.

But all in all, yeah, I thought this was a fantastic film. I'd probably agree with @Dragonlordxxxxx's score of 8/10, though I'm tempted to go 8.5. This is probably going to go down as the best action film of 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
#alternativefacts

Best not forget.

But I agree somewhat.

Dredd, John Wicks 1 and 2, and Fury Road are the best action movies of the 21st century.
Sounds like it would be a good poll for @shadow_priest_x to make but maybe limit it to the past decade. I would throw the Raid movies in the mix also

But all in all, yeah, I thought this was a fantastic film. I'd probably agree with @Dragonlordxxxxx's score of 8/10, though I'm tempted to go 8.5. This is probably going to go down as the best action film of 2017.
I'm hoping Kingsman 2 would top this as my best action movie of 2017.

Back