JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2 (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
The potential for the third film is off the charts. If it lives up to it even a little bit we're gonna have a fantastic movie on our hands.

I just wish this was coming out in 2018 instead of making us wait all the way to 2019.

The potential for the third film is off the charts. If it lives up to it even a little bit we're gonna have a fantastic movie on our hands.

I just wish this was coming out in 2018 instead of making us wait all the way to 2019.

Eh, if Chapter 3 manages to top the first two the wait will be worth it, IMO.

Sick,

As mentioned hopefully instead of relying heavily on guns, it be nice to see more killing via hand to hand combat.

Would love to see some really lengthy knife fighting scenes.

Would love to see some really lengthy knife fighting scenes.

yea less gun action this time.

i hope they don't overdue to it. hand to hand & weapons would be cool.

Yeah probably but I keep getting to the bit where he gets hit by a car going full speed and just shakes it off and starts fist fighting dudes with guns, ruins the illusion.

The first film (other than the stupid fist fight in the rain scene) at least felt feasible.

It's based on a comic, and in the second film you can definitely feel its comic roots more than in the first.

Your not really missing out. Second one is ok at best. I'm actually kind of surprised how highly Dragonlord rated this. It was a standard B level action flick in my opinion.

I'll tell you like I've told other people:

First film: More of an emotional core to the story, more grounded action.

Second film: Heightened (less realistic) action, superior visual style.

Both films have strengths. I'm still not sure which I prefer.

Though I do think that this bitch is probably the coolest of all the villain characters so far:

q8T0WKQ.gif

I'll tell you like I've told other people:

First film: More of an emotional core to the story, more grounded action.

Second film: Heightened (less realistic) action, superior visual style.

Both films have strengths. I'm still not sure which I prefer.

Though I do think that this bitch is probably the coolest of all the villain characters so far:

q8T0WKQ.gif

I think your description of both films is spot on. Which is why I didn't like the second one. I enjoyed the more realistic tone of the first.

It's based on a comic, and in the second film you can definitely feel its comic roots more than in the first.
Ah, didn't know that but makes sense. A lot of little things in the second one like the neon flourishes were really cool and fun. Felt like video game/comic elements in the movie. Was great.

Finally got around to watching. I gotta say, this one gave me blue balls. I was expecting so much more and it just didn't deliver like the first.

You tease this badass doge and it does literally nothing the entire movie? Please

Overall enjoyable as hell but can't put it past the first.

Watched this a couple of weeks ago. I loved the fight scenes and dug the mute chick. The one thing that bothered me was John refusing the marker until his house got blown up. John's the one who initially asked this guy, Santino, for a favor, so it made it hard for me to root for John when he declined to honor the marker. Seemed kind of weak and dishonorable. Call me crazy, but that part was a major buzzkill for me and detracted from my enjoying the film. Same with him breaking the major rule of the hotel.

Watched this a couple of weeks ago. I loved the fight scenes and dug the mute chick. The one thing that bothered me was John refusing the marker until his house got blown up. John's the one who initially asked this guy, Santino, for a favor, so it made it hard for me to root for John when he declined to honor the marker. Seemed kind of weak and dishonorable. Call me crazy, but that part was a major buzzkill for me and detracted from my enjoying the film. Same with him breaking the major rule of the hotel.

It didn't make sense to me that he refused the hit in the first place, Considering that is one of the three major rules of the organisation he works for. I guess you could say he didn't want to go back to that life, but his conversation with Winston on the rooftop made it seem like he genuinely didn't know he couldn't refuse. "You mean I have no choice?"

yea less gun action this time.

i hope they don't overdue to it. hand to hand & weapons would be cool.

Yeah the gunfighting whilst well done did get a little deadening at times with how much of it there was, hopefully they keep to smaller scale person to person action even with what I assume will be a larger budget again and don't go with just explositions/CGI.

One thing a higher budget would probably help with is casting, I'm guessing if they wanted to them could hire a big name/s to play antagonists, actors who would make a bigger impact than Santino did in the 2nd film.

It didn't make sense to me that he refused the hit in the first place, Considering that is one of the three major rules of the organisation he works for. I guess you could say he didn't want to go back to that life, but his conversation with Winston on the rooftop made it seem like he genuinely didn't know he couldn't refuse. "You mean I have no choice?"
Exactly. Made it hard for me to root for him. I think he knew he had to do it, he just thought he could weasel out of it. It would have been better if they had Santino force him to do it from the get go rather than have John decline and then do it unwillingly.

This is crucial.

There's a curse of 3rd movies in trilogies sucking, and the only exception I can think of is LOTR:ROTK.

The pressure is on to live up to the expections fans have to continue the best action movie ending in a very long while. It was almost The Dark Knight-esque.

Good to hear the studio is sticking with the same writer, who I bet is getting alot more in compensation since the first two movies have been hits.

RotJ?
Last Crusade?

RotJ?
Last Crusade?

ROTJ is underrated I'd agree although was viewed as a disappointment, the same could be said on Temple of DOom which held Indy back from being an consistently excellent trilogy in many peoples minds.

Honestly as much as I enjoyed them I don't see John Wick films being on that level but that does also I think make it easier for a sequel to live up to the first couple. Indeed I felt a lot of the second film was really setting up a third, building Fishburns "hoboking", setting up the "high table" and markers, etc.

Again I think who they cast for new roles is probably a big factor, maybe favour Sherdog and try and get Nick Cage in from the cold to play a "high table" antagonist? maybe Charlize Theron as a rival assassin given she worked well with a lot of the same team? ironically I felt John Wick 2 was actually a hell of a lot more "inclusive" than many Hollywood films that look to trade on PC credibility with clichéd "strong woman" characters in that it cast women in roles normally reserved for men, the crime overlord, the henchwomen, even having Reeves break the neck of that female assassin as strange as it sounds.

Finally saw this movie. I expected the same action scenes as the 1st movie but I was disappointed. Bad guys just kept running at him one by one. Instead of shooting him from far, they run towards him - killed the coolness factor from the first movie.

I liked the universe but there were too many assassins. It seemed like everyone was an assassin. Made them less intriguing.

Maybe I missed a scene but what's up with the civilians not caring that assassins were fighting on the subway and train?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back