John Wayne: Bad ass American icon or overrated can?

John Wayne was a typical big talk no action coward he harped on about the united states enemies and what should be done to them but didn't have the balls to enlist himself.
He reminds me of half the posters in the War room who always want to invade or bomb other countries but only if they can be safe at home watching on CNN/FOX

I don't give a fuck about John Wayne. John Wayne just happened to be the one dimensional meat puppet at the end of the strings controlled by this man:

John_Ford_Portrait_005-detail-main-detail-main.jpg

who was a legit badass.

All those great flicks like The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance and The Searchers were directed by John Ford.

And unlike Marion (John Wayne's real name), John Ford actually did go and serve in World War 2. Ford was at the Battle of Midway and D-Day.

Fun fact: whenever Marion had an issue or disagreement on the set with Ford, Ford would shut him up by reminding Marion that he had actually gone to war and that Marion was a fake tough guy who could be easily replaced by another fake tough guy.

quote-Orson-Welles-i-prefer-the-old-masters-by-which-167815.png

He seemed like a questionable human being who made middling to poor films. So no different than most of Hollywood today.

John Wayne was a typical big talk no action coward he harped on about the united states enemies and what should be done to them but didn't have the balls to enlist himself.
He reminds me of half the posters in the War room who always want to invade or bomb other countries but only if they can be safe at home watching on CNN/FOX
He wanted to enlist but the military told him he is of better use to make movies to support the cause.

Made Reagan president. Cannot be forgiven

Kidding,but never been a huge fan. He was ok, but not my cup of tea.

I've only enjoyed the John Wayne movies when he's a soldier. I was never a fan of those home on the range type westerns, and he did a bunch. Except for true grit.

He's definitely an American Icon. That's undeniable.

His movies though.....ehhhh...don't care for them.

He wanted to enlist but the military told him he is of better use to make movies to support the cause.

Bullshit.

The brass didn't stop Clark Cable, Jimmy Stewart or Henry Fonda from joining.

Clark Cable was the biggest Hollywood star at the time, and at the age of 40 he joined and served as a gunner in the Army Air Corps. Hell, Hitler even put a bounty on his head.

Marion was a nobody in 1941.

He played roles that were bad ass and iconic. But it's important not to conflate actors with the roles they played.

Overrated can. He talked all that shit about being a patriot and then when it came time to put up and join the war effort, he decided he could "best serve the country by acting" or some shit like that. He was either a coward, or just a piece of shit, or both.

Only thing I've ever seen him in was I Love Lucy.

I don't give a fuck about John Wayne. John Wayne just happened to be the one dimensional meat puppet at the end of the strings controlled by this man:

John_Ford_Portrait_005-detail-main-detail-main.jpg

who was a legit badass.

All those great flicks like The Man Who Shot Liberty Vance and The Searchers were directed by John Ford.

And unlike Marion (John Wayne's real name), John Ford actually did go and serve in World War 2. Ford was at the Battle of Midway and D-Day.

Fun fact: whenever Marion had an issue or disagreement on the set with Ford, Ford would shut him up by reminding Marion that he had actually gone to war and that Marion was a fake tough guy who could be easily replaced by another fake tough guy.

quote-Orson-Welles-i-prefer-the-old-masters-by-which-167815.png

In addition to credited roles, he appeared uncredited as a Klansman in D. W. Griffith's 1915The Birth of a Nation, as the man who lifts up one side of his hood so he can see clearly.

And the only thing he shot in the war was photographs and film. He was in some major battles, in the back taking video.

John Wayne:

America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age, although actor Henry Fonda born two years earlier volunteered and served three years, (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status, classified as 3-A (family deferment). He repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit, but consistently kept postponing it until after "he finished just one or two pictures".[4]:212 Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him. Herbert J. Yates, President of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[4]:220and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[4]:213

Wayne toured U.S. bases and hospitals in the South Pacific for three months in 1943 and 1944.[4]:253 with the USO.[30][31][32] By many accounts, his failure to serve in the military was the most painful part of his life.[4]:212 His widow later suggested that his patriotism in later decades sprang from guilt, writing: "He would become a 'superpatriot' for the rest of his life trying to atone for staying home."[33]

U.S. National Archives records indicate that Wayne had, in fact, made an application [34] to serve in the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), that day's equivalent of the CIA, and had been accepted within the U.S. Army's allotted billet to the OSS. William J. Donovan, OSS Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance into the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it. Donovan also issued an OSS Certificate of Service to Wayne.[35]

I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people,”
-John Wayne, 1971

Definitely an icon.

The way he used to kill Indians and stuff was legendary and inspiring.

Back