John Romero is about to make you his #*$%@, with Doom wads in 2018

jefferz

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero. It contains nine single-player and nine deathmatch levels. The free megawad will be released in mid- February 2019 and requires players own the original 1993 registered version of DOOM® in order to play. SIGIL™ is the spiritual successor to the fourth episode of DOOM®, and picks up where the original left off.
In addition to the free megawad, SIGIL also releases in two limited edition fan boxes created by Limited Run Games. The fan boxes feature music by metal guitar legend Buckethead, including a custom song written expressly for SIGIL, and cover art by Christopher Lovell whose iconic, detailed work has been featured on numerous metal albums.
https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

SIGIL_BothBox_MockUp_WIDE.png

sigil-floppy_3057e6fa-0d7f-43c6-8c2e-f0e473ec5b28_large.png

He should be making a daikatana sequel.

It’s on!

But if you have to have an original version for it to recognize, how is that going to work?

You are gonna have to build or fix and old ass machine and find your floppy and somehow get it over to your new machine??

About to read the article, maybe it will explain it there

DISK DRIVE like as in a cd/dvd read/write.

I want to pull old data off and store on an hdd.

I have an hdd dock and slap on hdd’s for mass storage, I don’t have any storage issues.

Just a f ton of old data stored on cd’s and floppy’s and don’t have a working pc with a dick drive anymore.

I’m not so much worried about the crap that’s on the floppy’s, I don’t think there is anything I need or want on those, but a lot of old photos mainly etc on cdrw’s I’d like to get off.

So my options are pick up a cheap cd/dvd drive usb style, for convenience or dig an old drive out of the pc graveyard in my attic and jerry rig one up temporarily on my pc, and hope one of them still works.

If the <20.00 ones I see for sale are reliable enough this would be much easier and more convenient

It’s like I could see the future asking about floppy and cd drives lol.

Nice. I know he released a level a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. Looking forward to this.

pre-ordered standard box set..

I'm confused what is this a game? Is it doom related?

I'm confused what is this a game? Is it doom related?

OG Doom content came in the form of .wad files bro. So it's basically a new map pack for the original Doom. John Romero was a key figure behind the Doom games, as well as games like Wolfenstein 3D and Quake

Last edited:
It’s on!

But if you have to have an original version for it to recognize, how is that going to work?

You are gonna have to build or fix and old ass machine and find your floppy and somehow get it over to your new machine??

About to read the article, maybe it will explain it there

It's a new level pack for doom.

Officially you're supposed to own a copy of the original game so you can play the pack, but in reality, you'll be able to find a copy of the ultimate doom or final doom on any number of abandonware sites.

It'll be interesting to see what it's like. The doom modding scene is still active to this day and they've discovered tons of extra trick they can do with the original tools. It'll be cool to see what extra stuff Romero includes that wasn't in the original.

It's a new level pack for doom.

Officially you're supposed to own a copy of the original game so you can play the pack, but in reality, you'll be able to find a copy of the ultimate doom or final doom on any number of abandonware sites.

It'll be interesting to see what it's like. The doom modding scene is still active to this day and they've discovered tons of extra trick they can do with the original tools. It'll be cool to see what extra stuff Romero includes that wasn't in the original.
They made it sound like you had to have the original registered game to run it.

No idea, I have a floppy SOMEWHERE, but it wouldn’t run on Windows 10, I’m not even sure if it would on DOS box.

Need to look into it more.

I have an emulated version that’s a mod i play on pc for doom 2 but not 1.

I was recently really considering building an old ass 32bit machine with like a core 2 duo or something to play it as originally intended

Standard was right at 40.00 after tax and shipping.

The big box set was 166, said f that.

Yeahhh not doing $166, although it is cool. I didn't realize the standard edition was so much cheaper.

Last edited:
They made it sound like you had to have the original registered game to run it.

No idea, I have a floppy SOMEWHERE, but it wouldn’t run on Windows 10, I’m not even sure if it would on DOS box.

Need to look into it more.

I have an emulated version that’s a mod i play on pc for doom 2 but not 1.

I was recently really considering building an old ass 32bit machine with like a core 2 duo or something to play it as originally intended

For functionality on a modern PC, you're probably best off with one of the source ports which people made after ID released the source code. Even the steam version of doom needs fiddling with as that runs on a really crappy dos emulator. Romero is just speaking carefully to avoid legal issues with his old company.

Doom still getting support 25 years later with free DLC. Nice.

Fuckin Doom WADS, I could never get the music files to work <DCrying>

The WAD I have( I think it has the psx music?) works with gzdoom , now I need to find out how to get it in retroarch which only has prboom and doesnt work with that WAD. I NEED those scanline filters
LOL.

Back