John Dodson wants a third fight with Mighty Mouse, talk about fighting Dillashaw and Garbrandt.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Apr 20, 2017 at 1:12 PM.

1. KazDibiase number 1 bullshit

KazDibiase
    Although they no longer share the same weight class, John Dodson believes his business with UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson is far from settled.

Dodson (18-8 MMA, 7-3 UFC), who has suffered two losses to Johnson in the past, moved up to bantamweight in April 2016 with hopes of a fresh start. He’s split results over his first two fights but hopes to get another win on his record Saturday when he takes on former title challenger Eddie Wineland (23-11-1 MMA, 5-5 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 108.

“The Magician” intends to make a championship run at 135 pounds, and at that point he believes the chances of a third showdown with Johnson (26-2-1 MMA, 14-1-1 UFC) would become realistic. Talk of “Mighty Mouse” moving up in weight has routinely come up in recent years, and if Dodson wants another chance to beat Johnson, he said there’s no better way than putting himself in the titleholder position.

“The fastest way for me to fight Demetrious Johnson isn’t going to be back at 125,” Dodson told MMAjunkie. “Look at Joseph Benavidez; he’s been dominating at the 125 division, but he’s been sitting there under the umbrella of Demetrious Johnson. He’s sitting there in his shadow and can’t cast his own because of the fact everyone wants to look at him, as he’s the No. 1 dude they want to highlight all the time. He’s not going to get that recognition. I don’t think anyone is going to want to see Demetrious Johnson vs. Joseph Benavidez 3.

“I want that chance to get to do it again, but no one wants to watch that. What could happen again is seeing the 125 champion fight the 135 champion, and it will be DJ vs. JD. He’s been setting records. He can set as many as possible, but will it be a different goal for him to beat the guy that has that 135 title? Can he possibly get that one too?”

Moreover, Dodson already owns a victory over former champ T.J. Dillashaw (14-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC), who is set to challenge current 135-pound titleholder Cody Garbrandt (11-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) in July’s UFC 213 co-headliner. Dodson defeated Dillashaw by TKO in less than two minutes in December 2011, and despite being several years removed from the contest, Dodson said he still knows where he stands among the top fighters and makes him believe he could contest for the belt at any point.

“Both of them are good fights (for me),” Dodson said. “Cody’s an awesome dude. I think he has real potential. But I think my speed will be too much for his power. T.J. is there, and everybody already knows I would love to get my hands on him. He’s a very accomplished fighter, and he’s done so much since we fought the first time. It would be good to see what he could do for the second time around. I think he’ll last maybe a minute longer, but the outcome is the same.”

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=243605

BisexualMMA likes this.
  2. zxyss25 Purple Belt

zxyss25
    [​IMG]

ManLet

jjwvic and Krev like this.
  3. Kwic Black Belt

Kwic
    Not interested in the third fight, no matter the weightclass. Dodson is one of the most boring guys out there.
    Circle circle circle, if you land a KO, great, it not, keep circling and pitter punching.

RTL likes this.
  4. Coolidge King Of BBWs - Feed These Bitches

Coolidge
    No thanks. Dodson's output is atrocious. He is so limited as a fighter.

5. Coolidge King Of BBWs - Feed These Bitches

Coolidge
    Idiots were actually begging for either Dodson or Ian McCall to replace Mighty Mouse, who's way more entertaining and finishes more often.

lolxor likes this.
  6. BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

BisexualMMA
    Sounds reasonable if he can actually win the 135 belt.

7. El Fernas Brown Belt

El Fernas
    Nowhere near a 3rd fight, he had nothing for DJ, if DJ moves up to 135 its probably for a title fight and Dodson isnt near the title for any time soon, if he wins he stays, if not, probably goes back down to 125

8. The guest Talkin that sass.

The guest
    Lost two of his last 3. One of those to MM. I don't think so.

9. MirRocksFedor Purple Belt

MirRocksFedor
    He did drop him twice in the 1st fight.

10. iNoScopedJFK Proud Manet

iNoScopedJFK
    We already know Dodson has nothing for DJ. I doubt he has anything for TJ either at this point. Dodson tends not to do anything in his fights except look for the quick counter punch KO. If he cant find it chances are hes gonna lose the fight as long as his opponent is just more active which isnt hard to be.

11. El Fernas Brown Belt

El Fernas
    True, but was far from being stopped, then got outclassed in the rematch, thats 2-0 anyway.

12. Danespina Red Belt

Danespina
    Dodson vs. 2013 DJ was competitive and fun.

Dodson vs. 2015 DJ was a lopsided shut out.

Dodson vs. 2017 DJ wouldn't be competitive and end quickly