John Danaher front headlock set filmed and on the way

wel

l thats Marcelo lol he can make lots of things work for him given his level he doesnt believe n head and arm chokes at all like darces arm triangles ect but we know they work its just his preference.

but for me i feel its easier to finish a head and arm given u dont have to chase there body around a good guys gonna fall to his back trying to scramble and not let you hook legs to his body to get pressure gotta have a good deep lock on the neck

Well that’s for you, and it’s ok, but has nothing to do with the level of opponents, Gary tonon almost always goes for high elbow, hell most guillotinas st high level are high elbows guillotines...

The regular guillotine is the final missing link for me.

I would have thought that the anaconda and guillotine would be best friends, as people often counter the anaconda by flaring out their elbow, leaving room for the guillotine, however this hasn't been the case for me.

How do you incorporate the guillotine into your front headlock game in general?
Specifically, I'm particularly concerned about people timing me and getting past my legs once I get the guillotine grip. Sometimes I'll get the guillotine grip and as I sit back into guard (typically the belly shin guard rather than closed guard), people will run past my legs and I'll end up on bottom side control with a weak side guillotine (their head and body on opposite sides of my body).

How's your high elbow one leg guillotine? Sneak in a butterfly, roll them over, finish from the top.

I don't enjoy watching him teach as I've said before but I'll be damned if I don't learn things. The high elbow has been my favorite sub for years and I still got 2 cool little details from this video.

I have seen so much worse teaching Jesus people are tribal

What do you guys think about this video?

What do you guys think about this video?

I think it comes down to personal preference. Giles is not wrong at all but if you like transitions and scrambles then you'll probably prefer the high elbow. That's always been my take. They have much more of an ability to move and you've got to be willing to chase them around to finish it, even if you get a good bit of their leg/hip/back. Doesn't matter. If you go to MGinaction and queue up a page of Marcelo hitting high elbow guillotines sometimes he moves through several positions and scrambles with the choke fully locked before he finishes.

I think the high elbow is more powerful as a finish than the arm-in but offers less control and the arm-in has easy switches to brabo and anaconda. I still love high elbows but I have found myself throwing more arm-ins into the mix because of the control.

At the end of the day I don't think it matters much. If you drill a lot of high elbows and use them a lot you'll get good at them either way. I will say I've noticed that good arm-in guillotiners are almost always good at high elbows too but good high elbow guillotiners aren't generally as good at arm-ins. I do advise learning the arm-in first even though it has a steeper learning curve.

I think it comes down to personal preference. Giles is not wrong at all but if you like transitions and scrambles then you'll probably prefer the high elbow. That's always been my take. They have much more of an ability to move and you've got to be willing to chase them around to finish it, even if you get a good bit of their leg/hip/back. Doesn't matter. If you go to MGinaction and queue up a page of Marcelo hitting high elbow guillotines sometimes he moves through several positions and scrambles with the choke fully locked before he finishes.

I think the high elbow is more powerful as a finish than the arm-in but offers less control and the arm-in has easy switches to brabo and anaconda. I still love high elbows but I have found myself throwing more arm-ins into the mix because of the control.

At the end of the day I don't think it matters much. If you drill a lot of high elbows and use them a lot you'll get good at them either way. I will say I've noticed that good arm-in guillotiners are almost always good at high elbows too but good high elbow guillotiners aren't generally as good at arm-ins. I do advise learning the arm-in first even though it has a steeper learning curve.

Make sense, thanks.

Did you consult any resources that informed your practice of the arm in guillotine? I'm specifically interested in the "deep kind", where you are elbow deep as opposed to the more shallow, Jeff Glover 10 finger guillotine style.

I've been doing the high elbow guillotine a little more lately but personally, I think I prefer the control and versatility of a head and arm choke. While I realize there's also a choke happening too, I also can't help but feel I am wrenching my opponents when I do the high elbow; the tap from a high elbow is always fast and I feel like I'm just hurting the people I do it to.

Did you consult any resources that informed your practice of the arm in guillotine? I'm specifically interested in the "deep kind", where you are elbow deep as opposed to the more shallow, Jeff Glover 10 finger guillotine style.

I've been doing the high elbow guillotine a little more lately but personally, I think I prefer the control and versatility of a head and arm choke. While I realize there's also a choke happening too, I also can't help but feel I am wrenching my opponents when I do the high elbow; the tap from a high elbow is always fast and I feel like I'm just hurting the people I do it to.
To touch on the end of your post first. That's just the way the game is. High elbows hurt like hell and if you do them it just comes with the territory. You are going to make people suffer with those. Guillotines across the board suck but high elbows are especially rough.

As for arm in guillotines I've never done many of the deep ones. I mostly do more of the Jeff Glover/Josh Hinger style where it's a super shallow guillotine but with an arm-in grip. Sometimes I even use the ridge of my thumb instead of my wrist. You can see the bottom of the back of their head too. So it almost feels like their head is about to hit the point where it would slide out and that's where they usually tap.

For deep arm-in guillotines the Danaher set may be a good resource for you. Gordon Ryan seems to be really good at deep arm-in guillotines and I assume that material would be covered. I can;t think of any good material on deep arm-in guillotines off the top of my head.

To touch on the end of your post first. That's just the way the game is. High elbows hurt like hell and if you do them it just comes with the territory. You are going to make people suffer with those. Guillotines across the board suck but high elbows are especially rough.

As for arm in guillotines I've never done many of the deep ones. I mostly do more of the Jeff Glover/Josh Hinger style where it's a super shallow guillotine but with an arm-in grip. Sometimes I even use the ridge of my thumb instead of my wrist. You can see the bottom of the back of their head too. So it almost feels like their head is about to hit the point where it would slide out and that's where they usually tap.

For deep arm-in guillotines the Danaher set may be a good resource for you. Gordon Ryan seems to be really good at deep arm-in guillotines and I assume that material would be covered. I can;t think of any good material on deep arm-in guillotines off the top of my head.

Interesting. I know the DDS dudes are known for their arm in guillotines and they all seem to do the deep variation. I thought the Jeff Glover style was antiquated but it's cool to see it's still alive and well.

Interesting. I know the DDS dudes are known for their arm in guillotines and they all seem to do the deep variation. I thought the Jeff Glover style was antiquated but it's cool to see it's still alive and well.
That's interesting because I have always thought that Glover's arm-in style was sort of the classic arm-in style. He learned it from Renzo Gracie who really developed and brought the technique to the forefront.

There are definitely some new arm-in guillotine variations and styles but if you watch Hinger, Pena, Giles, Danis, Geo, Darragh, or other guys currently on the scene doing arm-in guillotines I still see them doing them mostly the Renzo/Glover (traditional) way. And even the guillotine that Gordon did on Keenan seemed like a traditional arm-in finish to me. I may be missing something on it though.

Back