John Danaher Back Attacks instructional is out

Geo's style seems to be a lot more influenced by breakdancing rather the 10th planet.
I can see that. He also cross trained at Cobrinha's a little bit I think. The big 10th Planet thing he does is the truck. That's a big part of his game. Geo doesn't seem to play a ton of rubber guard or lockdown either. Reverse Delariva seems to be his go to bottom game and kimura trap rolls or forcing half guard to darce to Japanese necktie seems to be his go tos from the top.

MMA+Vale Tudo accomplishments are best validation of grappling ability. You aren't going to pay the bills with a jiu jitsu belt. UFC belts>BJJ belts
It's actually surprising now though how much more money there is in jiu-jitsu than there used to be and unless you're a big name in the UFC you're most likely better off in Bellator. There's still only a few people that make real money in jiu-jitsu without owning schools but the money is more than it was even 5 years ago and to not put your body through the punishment is probably worth it to some grapplers.

Watch Sakuraba vs Newton REAL grappling ability. I do not like these competition point scoring gyms that cost 200 dollars a month.

Last edited:
I just watched half of the entire set, and so far everything I've seen has already been heavily hammered in from mginaction.com. Not one thing I've seen has yet to not be found somewhere on Marcelo's site... I feel like John likely did watch mginaction.com to learn much of his material and twist it to his own style, like he probably studied Marcelo's 1LegX game and altered it to his ash gram leg lock style. But this back attack series is nearly identical

I just watched half of the entire set, and so far everything I've seen has already been heavily hammered in from mginaction.com. Not one thing I've seen has yet to not be found somewhere on Marcelo's site... I feel like John likely did watch mginaction.com to learn much of his material and twist it to his own style, like he probably studied Marcelo's 1LegX game and altered it to his ash gram leg lock style. But this back attack series is nearly identical

The straight jacket system is not identical, they both fall to the weak side and both of them look to tra the top arm.... is how thy do it what’s different

I'm curious, how long have you been training BJJ?

I'm curious, how long have you been training BJJ?

about 12 years now, not including when I only trained no-gi so I could fight in amateur MMA fights.

I've been watching mginaction nearly since he first released it when he was basically the only online training site around. From all his videos on the site since then, he has basically covered nearly all the content that Danaher has in his back attacks DVD. Some things have subtle differences, but not enough to make it conceptually a new system or approach in my eyes

about 12 years now, not including when I only trained no-gi so I could fight in amateur MMA fights.

I've been watching mginaction nearly since he first released it when he was basically the only online training site around. From all his videos on the site since then, he has basically covered nearly all the content that Danaher has in his back attacks DVD. Some things have subtle differences, but not enough to make it conceptually a new system or approach in my eyes

I was a member of MGinaction for years up until about 2 years ago. I haven't seen nearly as much detail as some of things covered in Danaher's set. An example is addressing the chin when going for RNCs. Marcelo really only covers using the "bottle opener" motion on the chin. Danaher has a whole detailed system for addressing it. While I really like marcelo's techniques, I haven't found his techniques to have much detail in his explanation. And i haven't found his instruction to key on concepts of the "why" either. Personally, I've found Marcelo's instruction to be the opposite of Danaher's.

Last edited:

marcelo doesnt teach as many details as jhon does, also the back attacks, both like to fall to the weak side and trap the arm, jhon systems goes into more detailes and his trapping hands from the straght jacket system is not something that has been shown by marcelo.

I was a member of MGinaction for years up until about 2 years ago. I haven't seen nearly as much detail as some of things covered in Danaher's set. An example is addressing the chin when going for RNCs. Marcelo really only covers using the "bottle opener" motion on the chin. Danaher has a whole detailed system for addressing it. While I really like marcelo's techniques, I haven't found his techniques to have much detail in his explanation. And i haven't found his instruction to key on concepts of the "why" either. Personally, I've found Marcelo's instruction to be the opposite of Danaher's.

I feel the same, the language barrier is also one thing to be considered.

Marcelo is super hard to learn stuff from. He shows the moves he uses but they always seem sort of okish and I always feel the way he sets them up and how he controls space (plus his ability to scramble out) is what makes him so good.

Marcelo is super hard to learn stuff from. He shows the moves he uses but they always seem sort of okish and I always feel the way he sets them up and how he controls space (plus his ability to scramble out) is what makes him so good.

sort of...

I think it is because Marcelo is a very intuitive grappler and a really good athlete. His stocky build with powerful legs gives him distinct physical advantages for his techniques and he hasn't really thought about the intricate details because they are so intuitive for him. Gifted scramblers are built just like Marcelo. I don't think it is coincidence that his top student that plays a game most similar to his is Satava who has a similar build. I do think Marcelo is an innovator, has great technique ,built a great culture at his school,likeable, and he is one of my favorite Grapplers ever,but his explanation of technique is inferior to Danaher,Mendes Bros,Caio Terra, or Braulio Estima.

Yep, this here.
BTW...this is no diss to Marcelo. He is one of the great innovators of BJJ and one of the greatest. He also put together one of the best BJJ academies in the World IMO.

I agree and disagree with this. Marcelo is the opposite of Danaher in terms of instruction. It's more like, "watch me do this, and then do this. This is why I do that. Now your turn." His explanations pale in comparison to Danaher but many of what Danaher has shown has also been shown or mentioned at least a few times on mginaction. However, it is completely random and spread out on many different videos and Marcelo does not really emphasize the details s much as John did. He seems to just casually mention them in passing whereas John has them in an organized system.

marcelo doesnt teach as many details as jhon does, also the back attacks, both like to fall to the weak side and trap the arm, jhon systems goes into more detailes and his trapping hands from the straght jacket system is not something that has been shown by marcelo.

Marcelo has shown the straight jacket before, but hasn't emphasized it nearly as much. He has taught it before as a way to combat hand fighting and does not spend prolonged time there nor did he have a name for it from what I remember. I'm sorry, I can't link it or anything as I'm currently not a member

Much of what is he does is very intuitive and I feel he is a great instructor for advanced students. He is hard to learn stuff from as in he won't hand it to you in an organized system and curriculum on a silver platter. The reason he is good for advanced students is he can show you something complex really quickly and you need to have an idea of it, then he will guide you through it more. His experience and timing with many of his techniques is so sharp and world class that sometime when he teaches, he will demonstrate the technique "technically wrong" (I just committed BJJ sacrilege saying that!) when compared to standard fundamentals but he gets away with it because again, his timing is so on point that he could knock someone over by pushing them with his finger. Example, his butterfly sweeps, he will fully kick and extend the butterfly hook and not post with his non-butterfly hook leg but instead it just lays there limp. This works because his timing so world class and intuitive for him

I think it is because Marcelo is a very intuitive grappler and a really good athlete. His stocky build with powerful legs gives him distinct physical advantages for his techniques and he hasn't really thought about the intricate details because they are so intuitive for him. Gifted scramblers are built just like Marcelo. I don't think it is coincidence that his top student that plays a game most similar to his is Satava who has a similar build. I do think Marcelo is an innovator, has great technique ,built a great culture at his school,likeable, and he is one of my favorite Grapplers ever,but his explanation of technique is inferior to Danaher,Mendes Bros,Caio Terra, or Braulio Estima.

I agree with much of this, his teaching is much less detailed than everyone you named. His teaching is more of watch this and this, now go try it out and I'll help you. On the other hand, having watched him compete and teach on mginaction and in person, I will say his insight is amazing. Even if you exclusively see his teaching on mginaction, some of what he addresses is such high level stuff. He goes over situations and solutions for many BJJ problems that not many people in the world can address. Yes, he mainly teaches his style, but he can give elite level insight into problem solving even if it does not involve using his style/system. This is one thing about him I was most impressed about

Having said this, I have trained at Marcelo's and John's, and even though John (the only reason I ended up there) was very accommodating to me, I enjoyed the atmosphere at Marcelo's much more by far.

just to close the subject on marcelo, I think he is a grappler demi god, hell I rate him as the goat, and it seems that hes about the nicest person on earth. I just like more the teaching style of jhon or even better ryan hall, ryan has had a way bigger impact on my game than marcelo or any grappler alive to be honest, eventhough I was a maginactiom member for like 2 years.

Watching the 3rd DVD.

Some interesting details on the Double Cross.
I'd seen the position before from Emily Kwok's DVD, but I hadn't seen it explicitly taught as progression (passoff -> single cross -> uke tries to peel -> double cross).

Liked the concept of breaking grips by pulling backwards/away.

They refer to the wrist as "the suicide zone" which I thought was pretty funny.

On trapping the arm, I have good leg dexterity so I didn't find that part too helpful, but I did like the cue of having your own heel slap your wrist.
Also liked the detail of moving the other hand out of the way, which I hadn't seen explicitly taught either.

He repeats some things a lot—he repeated the phrase "prior perception, and ability human has even in the dark" the first 4 times he showed an arm trap...

Details on getting under the jaw were decent. Some things I'd seen before from Marcelo (flattened fist, jamming the blade in there).
Liked the idea of opening the hand and finger walking up the chest, which maybe contrasted with Marcelo's ratcheting hand motion.

Really liked the idea of a rotation finish.
I've had problems with people bigger than me, grabbing on with both hands and pulling down, and I'd find it really difficult to finish.
I remember watching the Eddie Bravo video about the "squeeze", and thinking that I need to improve the squeeze.
Will have to test it out and see how well it works.

One thing that I didn't see addressed that I personally have had problems with is dealing with a strong 2 on 1 on your choking hand from the back.

I mainly try and deny it by controlling the bottom hand with the underhooking arm, but I get people who go to it directly from the seatbelt when my hands are still locked.
This is primarily against larger people (I weigh around ~68 kg).

Watching the 3rd DVD.

Some interesting details on the Double Cross.
I'd seen the position before from Emily Kwok's DVD, but I hadn't seen it explicitly taught as progression (passoff -> single cross -> uke tries to peel -> double cross).

Liked the concept of breaking grips by pulling backwards/away.

They refer to the wrist as "the suicide zone" which I thought was pretty funny.

On trapping the arm, I have good leg dexterity so I didn't find that part too helpful, but I did like the cue of having your own heel slap your wrist.
Also liked the detail of moving the other hand out of the way, which I hadn't seen explicitly taught either.

He repeats some things a lot—he repeated the phrase "prior perception, and ability human has even in the dark" the first 4 times he showed an arm trap...

Details on getting under the jaw were decent. Some things I'd seen before from Marcelo (flattened fist, jamming the blade in there).
Liked the idea of opening the hand and finger walking up the chest, which maybe contrasted with Marcelo's ratcheting hand motion.

Really liked the idea of a rotation finish.
I've had problems with people bigger than me, grabbing on with both hands and pulling down, and I'd find it really difficult to finish.
I remember watching the Eddie Bravo video about the "squeeze", and thinking that I need to improve the squeeze.
Will have to test it out and see how well it works.

The twisting motion helps to save energy, but you should not be having problems choking people even if they are defending with 2 arms... your squeeze is not optimal, probably too much back pulling not enough shutting the space... 68 is ok to choke most people out, specially if your forearm is under the chin... I would take a look first to Mickey triangles rnc tutorial, it’s on YouTube, then mix it with the twisting motion... it gets you a killer rnc

Back