John D Jackson on rumors of "LEAVING KOVALEV FOR WARD"

Ismael Salas is probably the most well known pro trainer from Cuba, Pedro Diaz seems to be making a name too

I agree that its all they know, especially when theyve had a long amateur career

Kovalev's style is best if paired with an American trainer and to this day its worked so far, GGG is a perfect example, youd never think he had a long ammie career

Is it because Ward is so fundamentaly sound they think bringing an ammie coach is going to help?

Salas was the first to come to my mind as well. At this point it's whatever trainer will put up with his bullshit. John's been training him for about 6 years now and wants to see it through despite the challenges from what he said. I think he has some real trust issues with American trainers. He said he felt that they think they're all experts essentially and called them zeroes in a Russian interview a while back. I think he's comparing the lack of men's gold medalists at the Olympics from Team USA (we haven't had one since Ward) in recent times to Russia's and gauging their respective trainers' knowledge that way, except that's not accurate in the pros. After having watched that interview again it sounds like Khromov won't be there and it'll just be John. Originally it sounded like he'd be there because John didn't say he'd have full control but at the end of the interview he said they're going back to "how it used to be" which is what I wanted to hear.

People can call it cultural as much as they want, but not even close to all Russians or Eastern Europeans think black people are subhuman.
apparently Serbia and Slovenia have the most positive attitudes towards black people (on average) of all the nations in Europe. Czech Republic ranked worst.

apparently Serbia and Slovenia have the most positive attitudes towards black people (on average) of all the nations in Europe. Czech Republic ranked worst.

Hmmm. The Czechs don't even like me and I'm Slovak. We have the same blood but they're considered the white collar folk and I come from the blue. I would've thought a Western European country would be the most positive towards folks of African descent.

Hmmm. The Czechs don't even like me and I'm Slovak. We have the same blood but they're considered the white collar folk and I come from the blue. I would've thought a Western European country would be the most positive towards folks of African descent.
couldn't explain it honestly, but I have to say I was a little surprised too

People can call it cultural as much as they want, but not even close to all Russians or Eastern Europeans think black people are subhuman.
I wouldn't know, my exp. with them is limited and I hear different things. you know, the jazz musicians of old used to love to go to france to escape the jim crow stuff in the US. All I can tell you is that some of the ones I've known, one was one of the main instructors in Taky Kimura's/Bruce Lee's school, he said black people should be climbing in trees, he was a brit. I knew a couple russian guys and heard stories from my black friends about how they are, of course the monkey theme is one that comes out often. americans are racist but it's a fucking peculiar racism, almost like how family fucks with each other and screws each other over, and it's usually justified by saying black folk are criminal or what have you, and it's usually ambiguous, racists will love and adore black celebrities and be kind to black children and so on. It's wierd but it's not the same at least on the surface. I think, having been close to several white people myself, that if you're around them long enough, they can say what they want, but they really didn't think I was human either. and I'm a pale half-breed indian. Anyway, complicated stuff and let's be honest, it goes both ways.

ya, as old as mankind really, my folks, the athabascans didn't/don't like eskimos but generally they just kept out of each others way, they didn't butcher 90 percent of the eskimos like the russians did.

LOL. The look on the interviewer's face when John David Jackson said that he may have went to Ward's camp if they met his offer.

lO3woM.gif

LOL. The look on the interviewer's face when John David Jackson said that he may have went to Ward's camp if they met his offer.

lO3woM.gif

That would be a good forum smiley

I think it's a bit strange that people hold Kovalev to a higher standard than guys like Hopkins, Pacquiao, and Mayweather who have all said some pretty offensive stuff (that list could be a mile long).

lO3woM.gif
Lol radio Raheem can't hide

I think it's a bit strange that people hold Kovalev to a higher standard than guys like Hopkins, Pacquiao, and Mayweather who have all said some pretty offensive stuff (that list could be a mile long).

Do they? Mayweather and Hopkins get called racist all the time and Pacquiao received massive amounts of shit for his comments about gays.

How dare you !! You might start a riot w your remarks
WeAreRioters_Carousel_3.jpg

Do they? Mayweather and Hopkins get called racist all the time and Pacquiao received massive amounts of shit for his comments about gays.

Yeah, they got criticized for the things they said. But I don't think any of those other guys are just flat out branded as racists by very many people. Kovalev seems to be branded as a hateful person.

Yeah, they got criticized for the things they said. But I don't think any of those other guys are just flat out branded as racists by very many people. Kovalev seems to be branded as a hateful person.

When you're a superstar like Pac or Floyd and you do seriously fucked up stuff people usually see it as a mistake or a lesson learned and are very quick to forgive. When you aren't a superstar you get branded as a racist or woman beater or criminal until the end of time.

I am trying to follow the @Seano school of enjoying fights without focusing on what these guys do outside of the ring. Yeah lots of these guys are shitty people but what can we expect when so many of them learned to fight in prison or on the streets and they literally shorten each others lives in the ring while we cheer them on?

Normal people tend to feel bad when they hurt each other for any reason. These guys have all made a career out of it. There are very few saints in this sport.

Hopkins gets branded a racist generally, at least I think so. Floyd and Manny both got passes from their base imo because they were unofficial adversaries for so long. It became political.

I am trying to follow the @Seano school of enjoying fights without focusing on what these guys do outside of the ring. Yeah lots of these guys are shitty people but what can we expect when so many of them learned to fight in prison or on the streets and they literally shorten each others lives in the ring while we cheer them on?

I think that's the way to go. It's a violent sport, and won't always attract the most savory individuals.

All the same imo. Kova just happens to be the recent one.

Hopkins is still regularly branded as a racist all around the internet. Is a lot of it overshadowed because of how much he has achieved in boxing? Probably, but it's not as if most people don't completely overlook it with Kovalev, as well (and, honestly, I don't see a problem with that as long as you don't try to bullshit and the fact that what he's said in the past or posted on social media is rather plainly suggesting blacks are inferior). It's not all that rare to see Mayweather get called racist for his comments about Pacquiao a number of years back. Pacquiao's comments cost him far more than any of the aforementioned fighters, although it's clear why that happened (he had a much different image that any of the other three and a major sponsorship deal with one of the biggest clothing/sports brands in the world).

At the end of the day, it doesn't make me want to see Kovalev fight any less, but if we're going to talk about what he said/posted, we should probably be honest about it.

Hopkins is still regularly branded as a racist all around the internet. Is a lot of it overshadowed because of how much he has achieved in boxing? Probably, but it's not as if most people don't completely overlook it with Kovalev, as well (and, honestly, I don't see a problem with that as long as you don't try to bullshit and the fact that what he's said in the past or posted on social media is rather plainly suggesting blacks are inferior). It's not all that rare to see Mayweather get called racist for his comments about Pacquiao a number of years back. Pacquiao's comments cost him far more than any of the aforementioned fighters, although it's clear why that happened (he had a much different image that any of the other three and a major sponsorship deal with one of the biggest clothing/sports brands in the world).

At the end of the day, it doesn't make me want to see Kovalev fight any less, but if we're going to talk about what he said/posted, we should probably be honest about it.

I agree that honesty should be the goal. As long as people are consistent, I don't care who anybody is a fan of (I don't care even if they aren't consistent). For example, a big fan of Hopkins would seem disingenuous condemning Kovalev for being racist.

I agree that honesty should be the goal. As long as people are consistent, I don't care who anybody is a fan of (I don't care even if they aren't consistent). For example, a big fan of Hopkins would seem disingenuous condemning Kovalev for being racist.

My "condemnations" of Kovalev have basically been saying that what he's said/posted is racist, and most of that is merely me replying to that one idiot who was trying to claim that referring to black people as monkeys isn't racist in Eastern Europe/Russia. That's plainly bullshit, especially to anyone even a little familiarity with the area. I'd also probably argue that there is a clear differentiation to be made between Hopkins saying "I'd never let a white boy beat me" and Kovalev implying black people are subhuman, but at the same time, I wouldn't say that Hopkins wasn't being racist because he was.

You won't hear me say I don't want to watch Kovalev fight, or even really cheer against him because of what he said, but if there is a discussion about what he said/posted, then I'm going to reply to people who are plainly full of shit.

Back