Joe Rogan talking about Boxing, MMA, Muay Thai

sittichai! even lerdsilla..that guy is a beast.
Joe actually did talk about Lerdsila recently. Granted it was because he knocked out an American guy in Lion Fight but still :D

even though his style is more karate/kickboxing, he does talk about andy hug a lot which makes me smile because i am a fan of andy

His background is TKD

Who Rogan? no way

Andy Hug is 100% Kyokushin indeed!

oh no no, i meant even that even though andy is kyokushin/kickboxer (contrary to our discussion on muay thai legends), he is another fighter that rogan mentions quite a fair bit. i worded that funny.

Yodsanklai is another obvious choice. Dieselnoi is too old school. Joe doesn't need to talk about fighters in the stadiums. I'd just prefer him to at least shine some light on some of the guys dominating the kb and international mt scene like yodwicha, sittichai, marat, petrosyan, superbon etc. These are all great fighters that deserve more attention. Guys like saenchai have enough attention as it is. Its just like when boxing fans get upset with people constantly bringing up Mayweather when there are fighters out there like Crawford and Lomachenko who need more attention.
He's talked about Petrosyan multiple times. He's also praising Lomanchenko all the time too.

Really tho, he's just going to talk about who he knows, which is more than the average American by a lot, but we can't hold him to Sherdog standards. The guy leads a busy life.

Really tho, he's just going to talk about who he knows, which is more than the average American by a lot, but we can't hold him to Sherdog standards. The guy leads a busy life.
A fight commentator knows more about combat sports than the average American?! By gum he must really do his homework!

A fight commentator knows more about combat sports than the average American?! By gum he must really do his homework!
Thanks for reiterating the obvious. I didn't think I was attempting to break ground with that statement...

I'd bet 100$ Joe has never seen an actual Saenchai fight or knows any of Saenchais opponents.
He fought Glory level elite kickboxer Matt Embree in a bare knuckle fight in the jungles of Thailand!

He's talked about Petrosyan multiple times. He's also praising Lomanchenko all the time too.

Yeah I mean, it's fun to joke about but i mean if you're actually annoyed that he doesn't know who Samart is then you need to get out more i think....

As a huge mma and muay thai fan, Joe Rogan has definitely done more good than harm. He often talks about how much clinching is in real muay thai during UFC casting, and seems to have a legit interest in muay thai given its clinch component. Obviously his stand up knowledge is lackluster and he says stupid shit every now and then, but its gotten a lot better after Goldberg left. Rogan doesn't need to take educated guesses on how the stand up is going anymore with DC/Stann/Cruz helping him out. I'm sure if there was a way to get Namsaknoi on the podcast, someone who has good english, an inspiring backstory, and was an elite thai fighter, it would be very illuminating for the US base. Fat chance though.

even buakaw would be better than constantly referencing saenchai. how about yodsanklai, namsaknoi, dieselnoi? or am i going to deep here?

He did name drop Yodsanklai during Valentina Shevchenko's UFC debut while talking about her clinch work. I was pretty shocked at that one and had to rewind to make sure I was hearing things right.

He did name drop Yodsanklai during Valentina Shevchenko's UFC debut while talking about her clinch work. I was pretty shocked at that one and had to rewind to make sure I was hearing things right.

Mike Goldberg was the real hardcore moo tai fan. Joe - "Edson Barboza might have the fastest switch kick in the world" Goldie "Aside from maybe a 120 pound guy from thailand". Repping those lower weight classes, real muay thai fan shit.

Yodsanklai is another obvious choice. Dieselnoi is too old school. Joe doesn't need to talk about fighters in the stadiums. I'd just prefer him to at least shine some light on some of the guys dominating the kb and international mt scene like yodwicha, sittichai, marat, petrosyan, superbon etc. These are all great fighters that deserve more attention. Guys like saenchai have enough attention as it is. Its just like when boxing fans get upset with people constantly bringing up Mayweather when there are fighters out there like Crawford and Lomachenko who need more attention.
I don't think he even knew who Yodsanklai was until JWP told him and look some what dumbfounded when Parr said Buakaw didn't take fights against other Thais because a loss would've hurt his image in Thailand.

Yeah I mean, it's fun to joke about but i mean if you're actually annoyed that he doesn't know who Samart is then you need to get out more i think....

I do agree with you, and we shouldn't get "annoyed" by it, but at the same time if you're that invested in martial arts that you're commenting MMA and also doing podcasts with fighters etc. it doesn't take much research to find out who the legends of Muay Thai are - even if you don't train Muay Thai yourself.

But I've nothing against Joe though, I really enjoy his podcasts and agree with a lot of the things he says (not all though).

it doesn't take much research to find out who the legends of Muay Thai are
That's kind of debatable as simple researches may net you bad information and you come away thinking Dekkers is the GOAT.

pretty sure he practiced kyokushin before moving on to anything else.

No. Rogan did Olympic style TaeKwonDo and took 3 Kickboxing fights, but the TKD Rogan did looked nothing like what it does today. People were gunning for each other in the 90s like in Kyokushin. In fact, I'd bet there were equal amounts of KOs in TaeKwondo.

Back