Joe Rogan on UFC 217: I’m hearing Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre is not selling well

“Bisping vs. GSP. Now, I’m hearing, that that’s not selling well, Madison Square Garden,” Rogan told Eddie Bravo and Brendan Schaub during this weekend’s Fight Companion podcast. “That’s unfortunate.”

“Here’s the thing, though. If you really stop and think about it, that was four years ago since (St-Pierre) last fought Jonny Hendricks. The people that are into the UFC now, they’re post-Ronda Rousey, post-Conor McGregor, the casual fans.”

“The hardcore fans like you and I, we’re gonna watch that fight, for sure,” Rogan continued. “Like, ‘OK, I want to see what Bisping looks like fighting a guy like Georges St-Pierre who’s smaller than him, taken four years off. Bisping’s got this opportunity to make a shitload of money. And then Georges, how’s he gonna look? We haven’t seen him in four years.”

“He’s a little soft,” Rogan said while looking at a recent photo of St-Pierre. “Kind of heavy around the middle, (like he was) eating a lot. There’s a big difference between that and Kevin Lee (who) was jacked. Like that picture of him on top of Tony, when he was dropping bombs on him. Jacked.”

“Georges does not look that good. You can be in great shape at 35 years old, but it really, completely helps if you were super active for a long time.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platfor...ng-georges-st-pierre-joe-rogan-sales-mma-news

Been saying it for ages. GSP is going to get KFTO, retired, and corrupt judges will not be able to save him. He will then flee from the sport again, this time for good having been exposed.

No shit. A champion who isn't in the top 5 of his own division vs. a guy from a weight class below who arguably lost his fight before retiring doesn't count as a super fight mother fuckers!

Bisping is a killer. His record is astounding if we remove the GEAR fighter loses from the record like Sonnen, Hendo, Vitor, etc. Shad was a close fight. Typically, they favor the American for his all American dry humping as they do GPS.

No it's a reference to him saying he picked the Bisping fight because Bisping's "stock" was high at the moment

I would prefer a good masturbation joke

I'm guessing 300-400k Ppv buys. Moderate success. Four years is an eternity in combat sports. Think of all that's happened since GSPs last fight. Is he still relevant?

Because if it was a legitimate title fight of Bisping-Whittaker (who is injured), it would sell so much better? Like the legitimate Yoel-Whittaker fight?

The whole reason this is happening is because Bisping cried and bitched for a "money fight," and if it tanks he won't get what he was hoping for which will be hysterical

Bisping is a killer. His record is astounding if we remove the GEAR fighter loses from the record like Sonnen, Hendo, Vitor, etc. Shad was a close fight. Typically, they favor the American for his all American dry humping as they do GPS.
Not really. He got lucky and now is understandably milking it by not facing the top contenders.

I think it’ll get close to one million buys, especially with the country of Canada in the mix. I’m guessing 800k-900k buys. Hope they exceed it but we’ll see. All I know is I’m buying it.

no one wants to buy a ticket to see a 4 years retired alien abductee get smashed by the GOAT... is normal.

This fight should be in Canada. It should also be GSP-Woodley.

But we were told that it was the fight that the fans want.

giphy.gif

I've been a fan since the late 90s, and IMO the (perceived?) downslide is due to oversaturation and more importantly the lack of dynamic stars. There's no new Anderson matrix-ing people, there's no Liddell consistently KOing guys, etc., the vast majority of fighters are pretty cookie cutter. It's largely become "Who's the best wrestle-boxer".

All of the guys with unique skills (Maia, Wonderboy, Machida, etc.) are either fading or, in Wonderboys case, just couldn't get over the hump, and I feel like Aldo hasn't thrown a leg kick more than a few times in forever.

I've been preaching this for years, but I still wholeheartedly believe that official tournaments would reinvigorate the fanbase. ...and, no I'm no talking about the 2 fights in one night type, but over the course of a year. It would give fans a reason to follow the Darren Till's of the world. He got a big win, but in between now and when he fights next, there will probably be so many cards/fights in between, people will forget. Think about the world we live in today. News and Entertainment move at such a fast pace now, that fighters that don't stand out will get lost in the muck of the who knows how many fighters here are on the roster.

excellent post and a overlooked one at that.

I would like to add that back then the ufc and Pride gave us real fans the fights we wanted to see and that way we all came back for more. The matchmaking back then was based on what we fans wanted to see with less oversaturation and titlefights that usually made sense.

nowadays it seems matchmaking and the product overall is based on what WME wants us to see just for the sake of a quick buck. ( attracting the casual fan and trying to attract an entire new fanbase )

sadly for them MMA will always be a fringe sport. these casual fans will turn away ( allready happening ) as soon as something new and interesting presents itself.

Last edited:
Live in Canada watch sports everyweekend other then highlights of them at the hockey hall of fame at the Canadiens game I haven't seen a single spot for the ppv itself not fucking one.

Of all the places to cut expenses advertising ??

Absolutely this should of been held in Canada but will see it's a very exciting card can't see it tanking at the gate.

Crap! That is really gonna hurt my share of the UFC's profits.
Every sherdogger got a special offer from WME to by stock after the sale. Thats why we like to discuss and care about what fights non fans care about.

Back