Joe Rogan on UFC 217: I’m hearing Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre is not selling well

The fight sucks. It's an abomination that this fight is happening for the MW belt. Everyone knows there's more than enough MW contenders that Bisping could be fighting. You could pick any of the top 5 guys and it would make sense.

You remove the belt from this equation, and I like the fight, it's intriguing. But as long as the belt is involved, and it gives Michael a reason to not defend the belt against a proper MW, then it remains a worthless, nonesensical, #1 bullshit fight that I don't care at all to see.

I like Georges. Wish he wasn't tied up in this nonsense for his return fight. His return should otherwise be a big deal, but it's been blown on this bullshit.

Everyone involved fucked up and went with the wrong decision.

Even more so, when GSP says he'll retire if he loses this fight? What a worthless waste of a comeback.

The options for Georges are either retire or fight Whittaker, and both options fucking suck immensely.

The people that are into the UFC now, they’re post-Ronda Rousey, post-Conor McGregor, the casual fans.s
conor and ronda fans are casuals and they're losing interest.

I dont hear anyone talk about ronda anymore and conor the majority of his fan base only shows up when he has a fight.

UFC start putting on good fights and start making champs defend their belts and contenders getting their shots when they earn it. PPV numbers may never be at the level when ronda and conor were at their height but they'll be consistent if you put on fights fans actually want to see.

1236166824_peeinmouth.gif
Machida?

It'll still do better than most cards. Maybe it won't meet expectati9ns but it'll sell well.

To be honest I don't give a shit anyways. Why would anyone?

The PPV will sell well. What is the cost of tickets at the MSG? Maybe an explanation could be found there.

I've been a fan since the late 90s, and IMO the (perceived?) downslide is due to oversaturation and more importantly the lack of dynamic stars. There's no new Anderson matrix-ing people, there's no Liddell consistently KOing guys, etc., the vast majority of fighters are pretty cookie cutter. It's largely become "Who's the best wrestle-boxer".

All of the guys with unique skills (Maia, Wonderboy, Machida, etc.) are either fading or, in Wonderboys case, just couldn't get over the hump, and I feel like Aldo hasn't thrown a leg kick more than a few times in forever.

I've been preaching this for years, but I still wholeheartedly believe that official tournaments would reinvigorate the fanbase. ...and, no I'm no talking about the 2 fights in one night type, but over the course of a year. It would give fans a reason to follow the Darren Till's of the world. He got a big win, but in between now and when he fights next, there will probably be so many cards/fights in between, people will forget. Think about the world we live in today. News and Entertainment move at such a fast pace now, that fighters that don't stand out will get lost in the muck of the who knows how many fighters here are on the roster.

Very good post.

Dont care, for all I know it is a great card with awesome fights.

Rogan loves to talk shite

Not even sure how he's still got a job at this point to be honest
He's getting worse event by event
Rogan's every quote gets its own topic or a YouTube video. You cannot buy this kind of marketing and publicity. Casuals eat his every word.

The advertisement has dropped way off, I haven’t seen any advertisement for the fight at all.

Maybe because I’m a “casual” now but if they want to get attendance back up they need to push harder to mainstream advertisement.

To bring in new people and get old schoolers back who have no idea the goat is returning.

But it is smart that they are letting him come back for a belt. If he loses it won’t kill his resell value on one more shot like they did with Pulver coming back to fight a no name warm up fight.

But it got some interest in Lauzon and he sold for a minute

I was originally going to go to this card. I went to UFC 200, I went to UFC 205, and I have family in NJ so I usually use it as an excuse to see them, and I take the train right into MSG.

When tickets went on sale I was seconds away from getting a pair of tickets, but when I saw they were readily available 30 minutes, an hour, etc after they went on sale, I decided to wait. Getting UFC 205 tickets when they first went on sale was a huge task. Getting tickets under 800$ per was almost impossible.

After holding off on not getting tickets I realized what a waste of money it would be to see this card in person. Nothing will match the feeling a Conor McGregor card has and like I experienced at UFC 205. Really no point in this, can just watch it at a bar. Especially when they are charging high prices for this card as if it were a McGregor card.

McGregor ruined all non-McGregor cards

UFC must be dying then because the main card is pretty solid considering the past few ppvs.

Blame the promoter.

I haven't seen any promotion for this fight beyond the hardcore MMA places.

Dana needs to accept some responsibility, If you put one or two of your fighters on a pedestal and act like nobody else compares to them then this is gonna happen.

And wtf was that press conference they had? Do something to create some spectacle/hype for the event in a larger venue, with ALL the main card fighters.

Wheres the hype for the other title fights? They've got one of the better feuds we've seen for years in TJ/Cody with a great back story.

Well, just because Rogan says it doesn't mean it's true.

And there's still two more weeks to go before the fight.

And gate and PPV are not automatically correlated with one another. So even if the gate isn't what they had expected or hoped for, it doesn't automatically spell doom for the buy rate. It could still realistically pull in anywhere between 600,000-1M buys.

Whether being away for four years will affect people's enthusiasm for GSP's return is still to be determined. I know Brock was a bigger draw than George, but being away from the sport for nearly five years didn't stop him from pulling an impressive buy rate for UFC 200. I still expect UFC 217 to do really well.

<{cruzshake}>

No way I pay for a fake title-fight that makes no sense.
Rogan has lost his connection to the hardcores a long time ago.

I found that amusing as well. I actually believe that neither hardcore nor casual are excited for this fight, because the casuals don't care and the hardcore fans simply know that it's a lame fight between an untested, nearly retired champion and an over the hill, bloated welterweight.

Even his podcast sucks tbh the video that joe claimed tickets are not selling dude pointed out Gsp gotta fat dick and they gotta photoshop it out then his gay ass co host agreed with him right away his voice alone is annoying now for a guy that shoots so much steroids u would expect different

I swear at some point
Him
And schaub have fucked

Rogan's every quote gets its own topic or a YouTube video. You cannot buy this kind of marketing and publicity. Casuals eat his every word.

I remember the days when his words were actually worth something
These days he reminds me of an action figure with '8 cool catchphrases'

Back