Joe Rogan on Russian sports "All Their athletes are amateurs"

Aye cause you have to be really hard to play basketball and baseball. Get a grip.
Don't be mad at me. I didn't make the rules.

I can only imagine the look of disappointment on my Dad's face if I told him I wanted to play soccer. He probably would have made my sister beat some sense in to me.

Amateurs in ex Soviets might not be the same as amateurs in USA, especially when it comes to Olympic sports.

Usually, there are some big clubs owned and sponsored by the state where an athlete has access to various sporting facilities, a medical team, food, supplements etc.

While having the status of an amateur, one trains 2-3 times a day, receives a salary and can live in a place owned by that club.

Same as back during the Soviet days.

Rogan being extremely ignorant.

He's not a dumb guy, but he likes to talk out of his ass too much.

He's admitted himself, he doesn't even watch team sports, so what the hell is he doing talking about pro sports like Hockey, which Russia has been a force in for a loooooong time. He knows so little.

He’s erudite and mistakes that for being educated.

Russians are very good at hockey, yea. Their football team is OK, their league is not something that anyone really cares about and is hardly comparable to the NFL and it's like.

So on some points I think he's right, but I reckon it's more about the glory of going into the olympics than actually a lack of professional venues.
Lol... in many other countries they say that our leagues aren't really something that "anyone really cares about". Not all of the world is America and America isn't all of the world. 103 million people (estimated) watched the superbowl. That is less than one third of America. Two thirds of America don't seem to "really care" about its own sports, either.

Timestamped..
Joe Rogan is saying "we have to realise that their best athletes are all amateurs.. They don't have professional sports"

Matt Brown: boxing?

Rogan: "yeah, but that's it, they don't have.. well they have mma too Fedor obviously right but they don't have like NFL, NBA, Major league Baseball, HOCKEY.. they don't have like this professional venue like we do over here, so a lot of their greatest athletes go into amateur Olympics so they are juicing these people up for Soviet glory...

I like Joe and i find his podcast very good when he has interesting guests but to say that Russia don't have professional sports or a professional venue is very ignorant. First of all, the sports he is mentioning NBA (Basketball), MLB (Baseball), NFL(American Football) is almost exclusively played in Usa, there are very few European players in those sports..

Hockey.. The Russian hockey league is only 2nd to NHL and Russia has a very strong national hockey team (they won the world cup 2009, 2012, 2014) with many players playing in KHL.. They regularly have top 10 draft picks (5 since 2015) and in the 2004 draft Ovechkin was no.1 and Malkin was no.2 and they became big stars..

Their football league (Soccer for Americans) holds a higher level of playing than MLS and is ranked statistically better by the american web news Blecher report
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458287-ranking-the-top-20-world-football-leagues-statistically

Russia and northern Europe favors track and field, and winter sports like skiing (because the american sports are not popular in Europe) and you can compete in competitions other than the Olympics.. Where they are very successful..

Joe is fucking idiot...

many Russian athletes refuse to turn pro in sports because of the principal...many of the best boxers don't even make it to the pro ranks these days

Meanwhile russia and slavics in general are setting world records(regardless of the venue or whether the sport is "amateur or "pro")
In track and field , wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, Olympic lifting, gymnastics, swimming, volleyball, hockey, every winter sport,judo...etc

BTW.....
Russia has LESS THAN HALF THE MALE POPULATION of the United states and they still dominate many international sports

Also Take the Ukraine for example....it has a population of what? 11 million?

olshansky_1136173a.jpg
Igor olshanksy is one of those 11 million Ukrainians that happened to immigrate with his family to states....olshanksy never heard of american football before his junior year of high school

From there though he became one of the Oregon ducks best defensive players ever...he also held the school record in the clean and jerk and the squat...
Before the age of 21 he could bench press over 500 pounds

At the NFL combine he ran a 4.9 second 40 yard dash and had a bigger vertical than kevin Durant while weighing nearly 320 pounds at 6'6 tall
He also bench pressed 225 pounds 43 times...that's 9 reps short of the combine record

Olshanksy didn't come to the states cause he knew he would excel at a sport he never heard....he immigrated and realized he was like Kal El away from his home planet and living under 1 sun...that compared to many in the United states , he was bigger, stronger, smarter and more athletic

Last edited:
Don't be mad at me. I didn't make the rules.

I can only imagine the look of disappointment on my Dad's face if I told him I wanted to play soccer. He probably would have made my sister beat some sense in to me.

I'm not mad mate, my Dad thinks American football is the gayest sport on the planet.

really you think I'm mad? I'm enjoying this :D

Well, going off your incoherent rambling.. you seemed pretty mad, man.

file.php

Joe is fucking idiot...

many Russian athletes refuse to turn pro in sports because of the principal...many of the best boxers don't even make it to the pro ranks these days

Meanwhile russia and slavics in general are setting world records(regardless of the venue or whether the sport is "amateur or "pro")
In track and field , wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, Olympic lifting, gymnastics, swimming, volleyball, hockey, every winter sport,judo...etc

BTW.....
Russia has LESS THAN HELF THE MALE POPULATION of the United states and they still dominate many international sports

Also Take the Ukraine for example....it has a population of what? 11 million?

View attachment 336825
Igor olshanksy is one of those 11 million Ukrainians that happened to immigrate with his family to states....olshanksy never heard of american football before his junior year of high school

From there though he became one of the Oregon ducks best defensive players ever...he also held the school record in the clean and jerk and the squat...
Before the age of 21 he could bench press over 500 pounds

At the NFL combine he ran a 4.9 second 40 yard dash and had a bigger vertical than kevin Durant while weighing nearly 320 pounds at 6'6 tall
He also bench pressed 225 pounds 43 times...that's 9 reps short of the combine record
Isn't Russian banned from the olympics for cheating in all these sports?

Yeah, those huge guys would be awesome at soccer. Especially the fat fuck linemen.

Obviously didn't mean that linemen would be good soccer players - but nice stretch!

stretch-armstrong.jpg

lol you must've not understood all of it.
the russian football league i sbetter than the MLS and their participate in the champions league, which generates more revenue than NFL and whose final is more watched than the superball or whatever the fuck it's called. (I know it must come as a shock to you, but check it)
Rogan is ignorant on this subject, as on many others, and people who don't know any better believe him
EDIT : i did a bit of research on the subject and the champions league's final audience is 3x the superball audience, so it's MUCH bigger

Now that is something for Russia to be jealous of

phish+superball+9.jpg

Last edited:
Who even gives a shit? I thought we can agree on this forum that combat sports blow every other sport out of the water.

Wasn’t Russia very good at basketball in the Commie days?

Might’ve been before the US took Olympic basketball seriously but I remember the Soviet Union always being in the championship

Back