Joe Rogan on possible GSP brain damage

I'm calling bs.

GSP rarely gets hit compared to other fighters and he really didn't admit to being abducted by aliens. It was Rogan forcing the issue about aliens.

GSP also said that time suddenly passes when he falls asleep and doesn't remember falling asleep...happens to all of us. Stress and exhaustion can exacerbate such things.
The time passing while driving without remembering is called Highway Hypnosis and many people get it including me.

He also said it's been happening since he was a kid

This is just dumb.

/thread

This^^^

Anyone who thinks brain damage is a far fetched theory to GSP's performance and shouldnt be a concern, do yourselves a favor and google puglist's dementia, google former boxing greats and how brain diesease after decades of repeated blows to their skulls affects them, boxers like Meldrick Taylor, Terry Norris or the great Muhammad Ali. There's a ton more, and I'm afraid that a guy as professional and classy and GSP could end up like these great fighters too.

Yoooooooooooooooooooou're not the brightest.

First of all, he did a whole lot of karate and does hard sparring throughout his career. Second, highway hypnosis is pretty clearly not what he's talking about, unless he has some sort of highly-intensified case of it that others do not.

If he had simple "falling asleep without noticing" he likely wouldn't talk about it... because he would have mentioned it to others and they would have said "Of course, that happens sometimes". Instead, what he's talking about sounds like he not only "passes out" but does so controlled (not falling over on the spot) and doesn't dream at all, and wakes up in a way that makes him think no time has passed.

All of that is rather rare. Neurological damage is likely the cause.

Yup happens to me too. I must have brain damage.

Thanks doc

And too bad GSPees blackouts have happened since an early age most likely ruling out brain damage smart guy

Rogan is a fucking doctor now? Must be studying that neurology in between fights, podcasts, and gigs.

I have no idea what GSP's problem is but unlike Rogan, I won't pull something out of my ass guessing what it might be. If GSP is worried about his reported memory loss he should see a neurologist who specializes in concussions (there are several at McGill Uni. in GSP's home of Montreal) who would be happy to help.

Rogan isn't a dumb dude but because he makes his living in large part from speaking on the fly, he often let's his mouth go before his own brain is fully engaged.
So what did rogan say that was wrong? He said George thinks he's been taken by aliens. It would be normal for all of us to say dude you head is fucked up. Joe is around fighters all the time he probably remembers there snappy responses earlier and know that something is wrong.

Anyone who thinks brain damage is a far fetched theory to GSP's performance and shouldnt be a concern, do yourselves a favor and google puglist's dementia, google former boxing greats and how brain diesease after decades of repeated blows to their skulls affects them, boxers like Meldrick Taylor, Terry Norris or the great Muhammad Ali. There's a ton more, and I'm afraid that a guy as professional and classy and GSP could end up like these great fighters too.

The thing about GSP is that he stated this has been happening to him since his childhood. If it just recently started like when he started his MMA career then yes we should be worried! His family and friends should make him talk to a doctor and have him checked out Thoroughly.

Did Rogan get his medical degree at pretentious 40 year old stoner university?

I was actually shocked that GSP thinks he gets abducted by aliens every night when he falls asleep. Pretty weird theory but I doubt it has anything to do with brain damage.

Some people have weird phobias and Georges just happens to fall into that category.

This!!

It's unbelievable that people all of a sudden think GSP has brain damage just because he has taken a few extra shots in his last 3 fights.

He barely took any damage before that in his career save for the 1st round of Penn and Serra 1

i dont think joe would know for sure, but the stats about his recent fights are pretty interesting

And you really think that taking alot of shots in just THREE FIGHTS will give you brain damage?

Abductions, if they are real, are likely based on genetics. As in they follow bloodlines.

That being said, sleep paralysis is experienced by many individuals, myself included. In fact, I had to break free of an episode just a few nights ago; it's a very very unsettling feeling I can assure you that.

Think of being in a casket that fits the exact dimensions of your body. You cannot move but you are conscious; it's fucked. I normally cannot fall back to sleep after one for a while because the terror lingers.

If this is what GSP endures and it happens often I seriously feel for the dude. It is not a game at all. You have to will yourself out of these episodes, it ain't about how good you can fight when you can move.

I find it easier for me to just keep my eyes open and wait until I am able to move. If I try to force myself to move it more scarier then it really is when you can't move at all. The funny thing for me is it only started to happen to me when one of my family member side it happen to them and was scared so I looked it up and found out it happens to a lot people! It occurs when you are woken up by a loud noise or sudden movement that causes your brain to wake up before your body can wake up with you. Your brain makes a chemical in your body while your asleep so you don't accidently roll of your bed at night!

Yup happens to me too. I must have brain damage.

Thanks doc

And too bad GSPees blackouts have happened since an early age most likely ruling out brain damage smart guy

I don't think you understand brain damage very well. It can start early and develop over time. Especially when you continue the causal action throughout your brain's development.

"He started learning Kyokushin karate at age seven." .... weeeeeird, right?

I don't think you understand brain damage very well. It can start early and develop over time. Especially when you continue the causal action throughout your brain's development.

"He started learning Kyokushin karate at age seven." .... weeeeeird, right?

Duh

U86RnYX.gif

I'm just enjoying how convinced you are that GSP has brain damage given minimal evidence.

You should become a Neurologist and eventually a Neurosurgeon one day

Once again thanks Dr. Miles

You really think Joe would talk about GSP like this if they are really friends? He will say what the UFC wants him to talk about.

GSP has had Joe Rogan show him the spinning back kick. There is a video of it online. GSP was also on his 3 hour podcast and they definitely seemed like friends.

To Roop-a-doop:

I'm not the one pretending a guy who has been hit in the brain, (of which has held nearly half the times he's been tagged in his career) including being rocked in his last three fights

Rogan is showing concern and simply stating what he heard in his podcast. GSP is clearly worried about what is happening. I think it's ridiculous you and other "GSP fans" would rather ignore the likelihood of a truly seriously problem with the man, simply to keep your fanboy mythos of an other-wordly champion alive.

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to how one of the least hit fighters in the UFC has such bad brain damage.

Back