Joe Rogan advises young fighters: Don’t fight the way that pleases your boss or the crowd

Agree. The casual dollar is what matters...sadly.

I also thought about Machida when I read Joe's comment.

Machida was undefeated cruising through UDs without even getting hit. But he was "boring" to casuals. He had to change to a more aggressive style vs Thiago Silva to get the title shot.

Khabib had to go 25-0 before he got a title shot - and he got it only after he started running his mouth (which is what Dana and the crowd likes).

My point is: the sad truth about the UFC (and MMA to an extent) is that you can be the best fighter ever with a flawless record but you ain't getting the belt or the big $$ unless you:
A) Knock people out in a spectacular way
or
B) Talk shit in a spectacular way

That's why Machida and Khabib had to wait for so long and adapt. That's why Conor became UFC's biggest star. And that's why Mighty Mouse was getting peanuts and has now been let go.

Sure maybe if you are charismatic or popular but if not the fighter wont become succesful finnancially.

Yeah, don't worry about entertaining the crowd. See how that works out for you.

The talk used to always be about fighters being more and more well rounded and that is definitely true. That said, when gameplanning for a fight, young fighters should identify their strengths and try to impose their will on their opponent. If they know a weakness in an opponent, try to expose it.

The days of fighters just brawling for the sake of brawling has pretty much ended.

Well, Joe quit sparring / doing martial arts because he worried for his brain health / future livelihood.

It's valuable advice for those who aren't training / fighting smart and will potentially damage their futures, brains and shorten their lifespans as a result.

Like someone else said, the truth lies somewhere In the middle. You also need to be exciting.

But at the end of the day, making decisions In the fight game which will ensure a long and happy future Is the most Important thing. You have to consider yourself first above all else.

He's right, but unfortunately career opportunities in UFC come from Just Bleed style fights. Case in point: Kyle Bochniak is on the PPV main card this week, hes only known for the Zabit fight where he was dominated, but kept coming forward which made it entertaining.

His stock went up even though he lost badly (because UFC needs jobbers who will make their prospects look good). Thats why guys are willing to lose brain cells fighting that way, the whole pay structure is set up to reward it.

tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif

This is the worst advice i have ever heard.

Rogan sometimes has momentary down syndrome (edited)
He's actually dead on In every single way my man.

Too many people will discredit Joe when they don't even have a fraction of the success that he has. Joe is more qualified to be giving out advice to young fighters than anybody here that's for sure because he has actually been one himself
And he also quit doing martial arts competition because of fears that It would effect his brain down the stretch.

He's speaking from experience and knows exactly what he's talking about here.

His stock went up even though he lost badly (because UFC needs jobbers who will make their prospects look good). Thats why guys are willing to lose brain cells fighting that way, the whole pay structure is set up to reward it.

Good. If we ever get to the stage where fights are routinely cautious and cagey the sport would be as lucrative as BJJ, judo and freestyle wrestling; because hardly anyone would pay to watch it.

Welp, there ya have it folks: a complete nobody has spoken on something he has never done. Durp!

Joe has never been a fighter... I feel he isn't the best suited to give this kind of advice.

The Rogan talk is the best example of a good friend telling another friend how it is.

Advice for young fighters: Get out now while your brain is intact and do something more lucritive and less dangerous.

The boring guys have to win twice as much to get a chance at the title. They have to go through the toughest contenders and suffer more CTE along the way even with their safe style.

Joe has never been a fighter... I feel he isn't the best suited to give this kind of advice.

This guy is some game show host . He isn't qualified to give advice on ass wiping technique.

How this goober became famous is beyond everyone

This guy is some game show host . He isn't qualified to give advice on ass wiping technique.

How this goober became famous is beyond everyone
unintelligent losers aren't really In the best position to have opinions

Back