Joe Rogan advises young fighters: Don’t fight the way that pleases your boss or the crowd

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“The Iceman’s” fourth straight KO loss, this time courtesy of Ortiz, was a result that was forthcoming as soon as the fight commenced. He implemented the exact same approach that he did in his younger years, which evidently was no longer as effective, even during the few fights prior to his retirement in 2010.

For observers like UFC analyst Joe Rogan, Liddell had just latched on to this particular style of fighting, despite its inefficiency as time went on.

“He had a style that was incredibly effective back in the day and I think he became married to that approach, He was just a marauder.”

“You could hit him the face with a f—ng crowbar and he would just spit metal out. He didn’t give a sh-t. He was so badass back in the day. That style, there comes a certain point in time where you just can’t do that anymore.”

“There’s a right way to fight and a wrong way to fight and one of the things about seeing Chuck go out on his shield like that, it’s like, this is the bed he made,” he added. “This is his style.”

Based on what he’d seen in that fight, Rogan offered a piece of advice to young fighters today.

“When you see Chuck go out on his shield, something about it to me, I don’t like seeing it. I definitely would’ve liked it if he didn’t get knocked out again,” he said. “But one thing I would like young fighters to see is there’s consequences to choices in terms of how you approach these exchanges and how you fight. I’m of the belief that you should fight the correct way.”

“Don’t fight the way that pleases your boss or the crowd. Fight the way you’re supposed to with your skills, and win by knockout when you can. But don’t get knocked out because you’re trying to win by knockout and you overextending yourself and overexposing yourself. That’s not wise. I think part of fighting has to be wise.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/12...-that-pleases-your-boss-or-the-crowd-mma-news

Interestingly, this very morning I re-watched Machida vs. Henderson and Rogan rudely asked The Dragon about boos from the audience(though there weren't that many), implying insult to his elusive tactics. He's always asking shitty questions after a fight but yet & still it's better to hit and not be hit if possible. I think Joe is finally getting it.

“The Iceman’s” fourth straight KO loss, this time courtesy of Ortiz, was a result that was forthcoming as soon as the fight commenced. He implemented the exact same approach that he did in his younger years, which evidently was no longer as effective, even during the few fights prior to his retirement in 2010.

For observers like UFC analyst Joe Rogan, Liddell had just latched on to this particular style of fighting, despite its inefficiency as time went on.

Based on what he’d seen in that fight, Rogan offered a piece of advice to young fighters today.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/12...-that-pleases-your-boss-or-the-crowd-mma-news

Last edited:
Because People who dont act in Danas favour have always been loved by the UFC...

Does he know who he works for?

<31>

Joe Rogan was never my friend.
<31>

tumblr_mpnsntBO2D1st3xfjo1_r1_500.gif

This is the worst advice i have ever heard.

Rogan sometimes has momentary down syndrome (edited)

Last edited:
The truth is in the middle. The sport would die if everyone was a Fitch or Woodley. Without casual fans MMA is nothing.

This is the worst advice i have ever heard.

Rogan sometimes has momentary cerebral palsy
Cerebral palsy has nothing to do with your mental capacity.
I'd say he has momentary downs syndrome

Cerebral palsy has nothing to do with your mental capacity.
I'd say he has momentary downs syndrome
Lmao.. thats true! Guess im the one who has it. Definitely played myself

If you translate the brain being paralized in my first language to english, thats what you get though. Even if you are not talking about the actual disease.

48 year old Chuck loses whatever way he fights.

There are plenty of fighters who don't fight the way they should.
Lawler is a wrestler, not that you'd know. Fighting the way he does now has made him more money than lay and pray would have done so Joe is wrong.

At lower levels in the UFC a $50k bonus is as much as they can get frem 5 fights without getting a bonus so they should go for the bonus.
At higher levels winning becomes more important as the bonus and losses hurt more than a possible $50k makes up.

Lmao.. thats true! Guess im the one who has it. Definitely played myself

If you translate the brain being paralized in my first language to english, thats what you get though. Even if you are not talking about the actual disease.
<Fedor23>
Yeah haha here in Sweden it was popular for many years among people my age to call people CP when they did some dumb shit

Poignant comments from Rogan and I’d dare say they apply to a lesser degree to Fedor today

The thing is, these fighters willing to die on their shield happen to be some of my all time favorites:

Shogun
Fedor
Mirko
Hendo
Wand
Reem
Arlovski

Too many people will discredit Joe when they don't even have a fraction of the success that he has. Joe is more qualified to be giving out advice to young fighters than anybody here that's for sure because he has actually been one himself

Interestingly, this very morning I re-watched Machida vs. Henderson and Rogan rudely asked The Dragon about boos from the audience(though there weren't that many), implying insult to his elusive tactics. He's always asking shitty questions after a fight but yet & still it's better to hit and not be hit if possible. I think Joe is finally getting it.
I also thought about Machida when I read Joe's comment.

Machida was undefeated cruising through UDs without even getting hit. But he was "boring" to casuals. He had to change to a more aggressive style vs Thiago Silva to get the title shot.

Khabib had to go 25-0 before he got a title shot - and he got it only after he started running his mouth (which is what Dana and the crowd likes).

My point is: the sad truth about the UFC (and MMA to an extent) is that you can be the best fighter ever with a flawless record but you ain't getting the belt or the big $$ unless you:

A) Knock people out in a spectacular way
or
B) Talk shit in a spectacular way

That's why Machida and Khabib had to wait for so long and adapt. That's why Conor became UFC's biggest star. And that's why Mighty Mouse was getting paid peanuts and has now been let go.

Back