Joe Lauzon — Done or still got it?

His skills have weirdly regressed in a way, and I say that as a Lauzon fan. He's too content to sit behind a high "guard" and take blows, and he's gradually become more of an opportunist than actively creating openings, especially striking, taking punishment all the while.

It's not that he's bad, he's never been on even a 3-loss streak his ENTIRE career. He just takes so much damage in his losses, and he has so much mileage.

War Lauzon tho
EDIT: Thread needs more Lauzon gifs...

LauzonGuillardUFC136.gif

Very accurate description.

If he doesn’t put Gritz away in the first round I don’t like his chances...

He seems to have reverted back to First Round Joe.. the name people gave him back in the day. He’s just a punching bag once he’s gassed.

His last ‘real’ win was either Chiesa (if you count the cut stoppage) or Mac Danzig.

I won’t even count the Held fight or those other two ghouls Gomi and Sanchez.

been done for a whiiiiiiiile

His skills have weirdly regressed in a way, and I say that as a Lauzon fan. He's too content to sit behind a high "guard" and take blows, and he's gradually become more of an opportunist than actively creating openings, especially striking, taking punishment all the while.

It's not that he's bad, he's never been on even a 3-loss streak his ENTIRE career. He just takes so much damage in his losses, and he has so much mileage.

War Lauzon tho
EDIT: Thread needs more Lauzon gifs...

LauzonGuillardUFC136.gif

this.

he used to be quick and pressured a lot more.

now he just stands there with his hands up like a zombie trying to beat everyone with pure grit and toughness.

his mobility has gone along with his quickness. he just fights like an old man now. it's sad cuz i like Joe.

Warrior, has lots of experience. I think he should focus on coaching.

He can still be a gate keeper for the up and coming dudes. He's a tough out if you're not well rounded.

He still has some fights left but most likely he ain't getting in a title picture.

I have never been impressed with him. Not hating.. I think he is a very nice guy and super down to earth and he always brings it. but he is too sloppy in the striking and a bit weak.

If Joe doesn't beat Gritz he should probably hang them up, I don't think Gritz is ufc level and this seems like a bit of a gimme for Joe to get his confidence back.

I've always liked Lauzon, one of the most exciting fighters to ever grace the octagon.. but his chin is fading, he looks slow, and he has gassed horribly after the first round in all his recent fights.

Although if you look at the Stevie Ray fight objectively, and I'm cherry picking here because it was fairly recent.. Stevie is a solid fighter and Joe beat the hell outta him in the first round to the point where alot of fighters would gas, the fight could've been stopped imo and also could've been declared a draw.

he's been done for a long time, he's a jobber.... but exciting to watch.

I thought he was kind of done and he was matched up with Diego Sanchez (ufc 200 I think?). I thought it would be a war, then Lauzon beat the shit out of Diego and stopped him QUICK with strikes.

He’s past his prime but I wouldn’t say doke. Not yet.

He beats Gritz or whatever the guy is called.

Back