Joe Carnahan: Denzel is greatest actor alive. Only Oldman is close.

Now you're talking.

That would about do it for me.

GOAT

white-chicks-image-4.jpg

That's why I said Marlon Wayans is the best

I'd put DDL, Tom Hardy, and Michael Shannon at the top of the list.

If I can name a couple of dead guys, Paul Newman and Klaus Kinski would be in.
Paul Newman died?

I'm his #1 fan:(

No. I think it goes DDL, Oldman, then Denzel. Of course, i’m not really one of those people who knows a lot about cinematography, acting techniques, and other shit like that. But I do know that hoe good an actor someone is, is a highly subjective topic.

Denzel is a great actor. But it's all subjective in who you think is the greatest. We're all bias in our picks in who's the best of the best.

Didn't take long for this to turn into a thread about race, as oppossed to a discussion about Denzel's merit as an actor.

Dunno if hes best right now or best ever, but hes clearly one of the best to do it.

Malcolm X, which may well be the most epic biopic ever made is the epitome of his acting ability. The range he displays over the course of that one film was pretty crazy.

He also wrote and directed Narc and The Grey. The guy is a talented fillmmaker.

Is Phantom Thread what counts for nuanced with DDL now? For the first time in over 15 years he's not caked in make-up or screaming like a loon, and you want to give him a special prize for overacting less than usual?

Watch Denzel in Devil In A Blue Dress. Or American Gangster. Or Philidelphia. Or Courage Under Fire. Or any dozen othe movies in his filmography.Denzel actually does nuance and subtelty on a regaular basis. When DDL does it, it's an event, because it's so rare. He tends to go big, or go home.
I thinl
What a terrible opinion.

Our friendship is in jeopardy.
@Midnighter was never my friend.

- Dana Florian

Why are Denzel fans so insecure?

I don't think it"s insecurity, so much as supporters of Denzel"s claim to be the greatest in his field (and it"s a damn legit claim) are tired of being gaslighted when you say he's the best. Soon as you do that, you always get some people popping to "correct" you and say he's great, but not that great, or he plays himself or , or we can let him have the best black actor title, or he"s played too many strong black guys or what about DDL or Oldman (or whatever flavor of the month like Fassbender was for awhile). They must be better. Almost like some people think you'll catch AIDS by calling Denzel the best actor in the game.

Denzel supporters like Carnahan are not here for that gaslighting nonsense anymore. He said what he said.!He's the greatest. The GOAT. Not everyone has to agree, but there's no apologeticness in saying it. I feel that's why Carnahan went as hard as he did. If he went soft and said "maybe" or "arguably" he's the greatest, his mentions would have been full of gaslighting to "convince" him otherwise.

You could counter- argue that some fans of other great actors are insecure about Denzel"s standing and the fact that he's considered GOAT tier.

Last edited:
Didn't take long for this to turn into a thread about race, as oppossed to a discussion about Denzel's merit as an actor.

Grown ups can talk about race, when it doesn't descend into actual racism.

It's fine to discuss racial lines ITT.

We're doing just fine

Helax

Grown ups can talk about race, when it doesn't descend into actual racism.

It's fine to discuss racial lines ITT.

We're doing just fine

Helax
Grown ups can talk about race, sure. Inserting into every discussion regardless of its relevancy, however, is dull and cliche.

Back