Joe Carnahan: Denzel is greatest actor alive. Only Oldman is close.

Slippage

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
There' a NEW crazy Denzel guy in town, and he's writer/director Joe Carnahan (Narc, Smoking Aces, The Grey), who has been saying stuff that might upset fans of Daniel Day-Lewis;

i-concur-g517d3.jpg

How's that even possible. I thought it was crazy to think Denzel is that great. At least according to a few Sherbros who suck off other actors they prefer. Caranahan must be insane. How is he even working in movies if he thinks Denzel is the greatest actor alive?

Last edited:
True fact: the only men that read twitter and are fans of DDL are women.

I think DW is probably one of the best leading men alive, but when I think of elite actors, I think of character actors. I wouldn't call DW a character actor.

Denzel is a great actor but that post is just crazy hyperbole. Oldman is as good if not better as is DDL.

I think DW is probably one of the best leading men alive, but when I think of elite actors, I think of character actors. I wouldn't call DW a character actor.

A character actor is literally someone who plays supporting roles. Every actor in their life has been a charcater actor at some point, including Denzel.

Most character actors are hired to play pretty much the same type all the time. Steve Buscemi is hired to be a creepy weirdo. Danny Trejo is hired to be a pockmarked violent Mexican.

Their is nothing inherently "greater" about being a character actor than a leading actor. Danny Trejo is a character actor, and he's not within a thousand miles of Denzel in talent, ability or achievement.

I'd put DDL, Tom Hardy, and Michael Shannon at the top of the list.

If I can name a couple of dead guys, Paul Newman and Klaus Kinski would be in.

Denzel is a great actor but that post is just crazy hyperbole. Oldman is as good if not better as is DDL.

But a lot of people, who are knowledgeble about acting and are not actually idiots, don't think it's hyperbole at all. It's very clear a lot of Denzel's peers and people in his industry feel the same as Carnahan. He didn't get 8 Academy Award nominatons as an actor because they think he's not as good as DDL or Oldman (different styles). He's looking good to overtake the all-time male nomination record.

A character actor is literally someone who plays supporting roles. Every actor in their life has been a charcater actor at some point, including Denzel.

Most character actors are hired to play pretty much the same type all the time. Steve Buscemi is hired to be a creepy weirdo. Danny Trejo is hired to be a pockmarked violent Mexican.

Their is nothing inherently "greater" about being a character actor than a leading actor. Danny Trejo is a character actor, and he's not within a thousand miles of Denzel in talent, ability or achievement.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/character actor an actor who is known for playing many different and unusual characters

However, most people are starting to define character actors how you did. The definition is changing to what you are talking about. It used to be about someone who played a wide range of characters not just the same role over and over.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/character actor an actor who is known for playing many different and unusual characters

However, most people are starting to define character actors how you did. The definition is changing to what you are talking about. It used to be about someone who played a wide range of characters not just the same role over and over.

It's not changing. It's changed. That's what it is. Every actor who doesn't play lead roles on a regular basis refers to themselves as a character actor. Talent level or "wide range of characters" is irrelevnt to the distinction.

If I can name a couple of dead guys, Paul Newman and Klaus Kinski would be in.

Klaus Kinski is my fav actor ever. I wouldn't say he was technically the best actor, but holy shit that dude was godlike on screen. Could not take your eyes off him

Young_Necessary_Kid-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Denzel is the black Keannu. He just plays Denzel in most of his films. Wut?

<NightKingBringIt>

hopefully you won’t think any less of me if I don’t take the opinions of the guy who directed Smokin’ Aces as gospel.

just because Denzel will never give a performance as nuanced as DDL’s in Phantom Thread doesn’t mean he’s not great at what he does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back