Job Interview Etiquette

So, I've been applying for a ton of jobs the last month (like, 20 so far).

I have a full time job with good benefits and such but the pay is pretty "meh" given the cost of living in my area.

I was offered an interview for a place where rent is only 200-300 more a month but my monthly take home (pre taxes) goes up 700. It's a good opportunity for me, puts me closer to a larger "market" so to speak (I work for the Court system) and such.

Only issue, I got an Email this afternoon at 4:18 for an interview on Wednesday at 2:00. I currently work in a 3 person department and one person is out all week on vacation so there's no way my boss would let me take the time off for a job interview. And she's a pretty awesome boss that would allow me time off to pursue better opportunities for myself.

So, my question is this, am I going against etiquette or, well, the grain in responding to the Email letting them know how short handed my current job is and that I couldn't do an in-person interview on Wednesday but I could do something next week or see if they'd be willing to do something over the phone or like on FaceTime? I feel like that isn't too much to ask but I also worry that by asking that I've shot myself in the foot before the "race" has even begun so to speak.

Thoughts?

You are overthinking it. Just reply letting them know that time is not going to work for you, and offer them several times that do. That is a completely nornal thing. You do not owe them an explanation.

If you give them a few days notice, it should be fine. Letting them know immediately is the best practice here, that way they can work on rescheduling around their availability. I've hired 20 people over the last year, and having someone push back a few days from the initial suggested interview date has never been an issue, most candidates are coming from other companies and you can't assume they have unlimited flexibility to take an interview. If someone cancels last minute, I generally assume their interest is a little uncertain and put it on them to reach out and suggest a later date to reschedule.

If you give them a few days notice, it should be fine. Letting them know immediately is the best practice here, that way they can work on rescheduling around their availability. I've hired 20 people over the last year, and having someone push back a few days from the initial suggested interview date has never been an issue, most candidates are coming from other companies and you can't assume they have unlimited flexibility to take an interview. If someone cancels last minute, I generally assume their interest is a little uncertain and put it on them to reach out and suggest a later date to reschedule.
Yeah, I got an Email suggesting interview date and time yesterday at like 4:15 and they want it to be 2:00 tomorrow.

Now that I've calmed down some that's telling me a couple things.

1.) They're desperate. I talked with some friends and they've all said if the job was offered to me the start date is probably like March 1

2.) If they say no to rescheduling it essentially means they give zero shits about loyalty and want me to not burn bridges but drop a massive bomb on bridges as I leave my current employer.

If they're convinced that you really are delaying the interview to help at your current job while they're shorthanded, they might be impressed.

That said, the job market is pretty heavy right now and they probably got a lot of applicants

Agreed with the first but unemployment is low which should indicate a high demand for labor. (Unless you're peaking specifically to his industry)

Yeah, this is the part concerning me the most. Grumble. Less than 48 hours notice sucks for this, plus I live over 2 hours away from where this job would be.
Whole separate issue, but do you really want 4 hours a day of commuting? Pretty brutal although maybe you're planning on moving if you get the job

Whole separate issue, but do you really want 4 hours a day of commuting? Pretty brutal although maybe you're planning on moving if you get the job
I'd be moving if I got this job 100%.

It's just annoying, to me, that they gave less than 48 hours notice to someone that lives 2 hours away currently.

I'd be moving if I got this job 100%.

It's just annoying, to me, that they gave less than 48 hours notice to someone that lives 2 hours away currently.
Yeah given those circumstances, 48 hours notice is crazy. With that drive you would have to take most, possibly the entire day off. They should be ok with rescheduling but hard to know

I had the same situation, and I was able to put off an interview for two weeks. They called back wanting to interview me the next day. I worked for a small company that operated with 7-8 full time guys halfway across the country. I explained that I had committed to them for a certain period of time and it would be better if I could at least wait until we ceased our work for the winter. They understood and said to call back to schedule an interview when I moved back home. I did and ended up getting the job. If they really were impressed with your resume and are interested it shouldn't be an issue.

Just call in sick and go to the interview if you think it's a job that's worth it.

1. Arrive 10 minutes early.

2. Dress professionally.

3. Learn about the company and the job position before hand.
Tried teaching my teens that and they looked at me like I was retarded.

They're going to try and find a date that works for me.

1) Watch job interview in Trainspotting

2) Do what that guy does

Got another potential interview with a different county office now too.

I hate phone interviews. There's too much phonyness involved...

They could be doing 10 different things at once, and just phoning it in.
nxMBqb4.gif

Like Sherdog taught me...come on everyone, finish it.

When in doubt....

If you are a hot girl with good sized boobs, it is considered proper to plop them on the desk as you lean forward as if listening intently.

Asking to postpone to next week for an interview 2 hours away does not sound unreasonable.

Unless you hate your current job and are willing to leave without something else lined up, your current job comes first. Schedule around your current job.

Request personal or use your sick leave and go to the interview. You're under no obligation to inform your employer what your business is.

2) Don't fall for the the cool laid back understanding boss gimmick. By you telling your boss that you're interested in other employment opportunities, you're telling your boss that "I'm no longer with you." How could you be reasonably be trusted with information, or put in important roles if they now have confirmation that you're seeking greener pastures?

My personal opinion..

The age of the good ol loyal company man is long gone. If you get the job, resign at end week, and do what you can to finish up loose ends. But forget 2-week courtesy b.s. Use the time until your start date to unwind, hang with family, hunt, fish, beach, work out, whatever. It's likely that you'll be starting over again, and probably can't take vacation until 6 months or up to a year. Why go none stop and burn out? In addition, at will employers won't give you 2-weeks courtesy when executing mass lay offs. When they want you gone, you're gone and likely within the day. Look out for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back