Joanna Jedrzejczyk strange punch style

chirpsman

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've noticed that jj throws her straight shots in a really strange way, she lifts her elbow up at a high angle.
joanna 1.png joanna 2.png joanna 3.png

I'm wondering what kind of benefit this has as opposed to the regular straight punch which comes straight forward

straight.jpg

Any help appreciated

I bet she has problems (injury) with the right shoulder

Forgot to explain: Mike Tyson mentioned in his book, Undisputed Truth, that his right shoulder was often out of order. If I am not mistaken, it began around Tillis fight. I did notice that the way he threw the straight right hand ( not right cross ) was different in some fights after that. The most notable example I recall is the 1st fight against Holyfield, where Tyson would lead wit the right like Mayweather, but the technique was like this Johanna: lifting here elbow up at a high angle. Hope this helps!

Is she throwing an elbow in that pic?

To throw an overhand, I lift the elbow slightly. If I didn't, it would be a right straight.

I assume shes throwing a tight OHR.

To throw an overhand, I lift the elbow slightly. If I didn't, it would be a right straight.

I assume shes throwing a tight OHR.
Came here to say this. That was an overhand right and not a straight. Notice her opponent's high guard in the beginning. Her punches are actually very straight. Rogan and DC mentioned it in her last fight. "Her punches are very straight, only time they're loopy is because it was intentional like an overhand or something"

She's just flaring her elbows that's nothing mysthical and it's nothing positive just a bad habit.

She's just flaring her elbows that's nothing mysthical and it's nothing positive just a bad habit.
I doubt a fighter at such a high level as her would have a habit as bad as this. I've noticed she even does it when she hits mitts in training. There must be a purpose

I doubt a fighter at such a high level as her would have a habit as bad as this. I've noticed she even does it when she hits mitts in training. There must be a purpose

If he does it on the pads as well and if it's a straight and not an overhand it's likely just a bad habit. If she only did it sometimes you could argue she is feinting a hook or whatever but not if she always tries it like this.
Plenty of fighters have bad habits even elite ones.
There are many high level fighters who flare their shots especially kick boxers in MMA, Thiago Alves always flares his elbows for example.

There are elite even ATG boxers with bad habits. Ali threw uppercuts straight up, Mayweather sometimes slaps his punches, Pacquiao has a ton of weird habits most notably with his footwork, Wlad threw in almost all his fights literally zero uppercuts and when he did they looke awkward, Tyson sometimes flared his elbows when throwing straight punches.

There is no other explanation than it being a bad habit if you throw your normal straights like that it's just a bad habit not an alternative way of doing things there is literally no upside to punchin like this.

There isn't. She just flares her elbows. She has many bad habits, like extending both arms at the same time to defend, stepping her lead leg back out of stance while still in range, staying too square when pivoting left, standing up tall in the pocket, low kicking without much setup, all kinds of stuff. She's very far from perfect. Here, you can see her flare her elbow on every punch in this gif:

Came here to say this. That was an overhand right and not a straight. Notice her opponent's high guard in the beginning. Her punches are actually very straight. Rogan and DC mentioned it in her last fight. "Her punches are very straight, only time they're loopy is because it was intentional like an overhand or something"

Rogan and DC said it, but it's not true. She constantly flares her elbows on her straight punches. See the gif above.

No, she has the same problem when she jabs as you can see in the gif I posted. It's just bad technique.
Can you give an example of standing too square when pivoting left? Aldo is very square but I guess he steps and gets bladed for that split second?

Can you give an example of standing too square when pivoting left? Aldo is very square but I guess he steps and gets bladed for that split second?

She doesn't do it all the time, but if you watch her fight against Andrade she got pinned against the cage multiple times because she didn't cut to enough of an angle. Aldo will do it too, but it's often because he's slipping to his left then pivoting out left, whereas Joanna does it upright. Admittedly she's gotten much better at pivoting correctly, and her lateral movement in general looked at it's absolute best in the Andrade fight so she's definitely improving.

Back