Jiu Jitsu in Vietnam

Thumbs up for the article. I'm a Vietnamese and trained in one of the gym you mentioned in the article (Snake Pit) and also in another in Ho Chi Minh City. I got introduced to the sport in England and ended up trained in Ho Chi Minh City most of the time. Now i'm at Australia and BJJ in this place is so expensive >_>

thans man, message me where you train in auss, i should be making my way down there in a few months, we can get a roll in

My sister works in Ho Chi Minh city and has been looking for some places to train. I'll definitely be telling her about this.

Good read. As a Vietnamese American, it's good to know that BJJ made it to Vietnam.

Hi joierulz.
As a white belt for training in BJJ Hanoi in 3 years, Bjj Hanoi don't have a such thing like policy "Vietnamese Only". We warmly welcomed everyone come to train with us. I think we having misunderstood problem in this topic :(. I'm Phong from BJJHanoi.com

A guy I trained with talked about bringing bjj to Vietnam. Glad to know it's already there and there are places to train. I am Vietnamese by the way.

Hi joierulz.
As a white belt for training in BJJ Hanoi in 3 years, Bjj Hanoi don't have a such thing like policy "Vietnamese Only". We warmly welcomed everyone come to train with us. I think we having misunderstood problem in this topic :(. I'm Phong from BJJHanoi.com

From speaking to one of your guys, that is what he told me. He said bjj newcomers that are expats are redirected to house of laughter. If things have changed I can update but that is what I was told by one if your guys. Pm me any new info

From speaking to one of your guys, that is what he told me. He said bjj newcomers that are expats are redirected to house of laughter. If things have changed I can update but that is what I was told by one if your guys. Pm me any new info

I was on vacation in Vietnam and trained at BJJ Hanoi and felt very welcome (I'm a non-Vietnamese American). Also, there were several women training when I was there. They were definitely beginners, but as you know the sport is very young in Vietnam in general.

Last edited:
I dropped by BJJ Hanoi a few weeks back and they were very welcoming, found them off BJJ Globetrotter so they are definitely receptive to visitors and there was an American blue belt on the mats who train there frequently

Is there a place to train in Ho Chi Minh/Saigon? I'm Vietnamese-American.

I'll be in Vietnam in 2014 for the first time in my life. It's going to be interesting.

I am my lai. I have thought about living in Vietnam for 6 months in the near future. I am about 240 though. Would I be able to find training partners or is everyone pretty small.

Back