Jiu Jitsu Drilling vs sparring

Jordan1997

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So i've been training bjj for a while now,recently got my blue belt in Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Joined a new Gym to focus more on competition and mma but i've noticed a lot of my techniques don't work against even a while belt
Most of the Gracie Training is technique with light positional sparring ect
I was thinking of drilling 2 classes per week then attending 3-4 sparring sessions as i feel my technique is correct but my timing is off due to the lack of harder rolling.
Is 2 drilling sessions a week enough to improve and learn new techniques or would you suggest more?
Thanks!

Also does anyone have tips coping with anxiety before drilling?
I'm not as bad at sparring classes but for some reason i get really anxious before drilling and cancel,or get someone to go with me so i have no choice but to go

As a new blue belt, if you can go to 6-7 classes a week and have a choice of rolling vs. technical instruction, I'd go to at least 3 technique sessions. I guarantee you your technique isn't so good that you don't need to prioritize it over rolling. That's not directed at you personally, that's true of any new blue belt. Personally, if I were you I'd do 4 classes and 3 open mats or even 5 and 2.

As for anxiety before drilling...that's strange. But as with essentially all anxieties, exposure is the best therapy. Make yourself go and it will get easier and easier until it isn't even a thing.

Your anxiety before drilling is probably related to your insecurity about your skills. Like Uchi said, the best way to get over it is to do the drills.

Commit, work hard and be a good drilling partner and I guarantee that will outshine whatever lack of skills you may have.

Back