JERWIN ANCAJAS TO MAKE THIRD TITLE DEFENSE AGAINST JAMIE CONLAN IN BELFAST

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
IBF junior bantamweight titleholder Jerwin Ancajas will make his third defense in as many countries when he faces Jamie Conlan on November 18 at the SSE Arena in Belfast, Ireland.

The news was revealed on Wednesday by Conlan’s promoter Frank Warren, and the fight will be on the same card featuring Carl Frampton in his first fight back, since losing to Leo Santa Cruz, last January, plus Zolani Tete’s first WBO bantamweight title defense. Frampton’s and Tete’s were not at that press conference.

Ancajas (27-1-1, 18 knockouts) of Panabo City, Philippines, won the title a year ago and has been busy since, dismantling Jose Alfredo Rodriguez in Macau, China, and Teiru Kinoshita in Brisbane, Australia to seventh round stoppages, the latter of which came in front of over 50,000 fans in the Jeff Horn-Manny Pacquiao co-feature and was televised by ESPN.

Ancajas, who is known to train year-round, regardless of whether or not he has a fight scheduled, had been in the gym sparring with gym mate Mark Anthony Barriga as the latter prepares for his fight this weekend against Wittawas Basapean in Beijing, China.

“Conlan is a very good fighter and that’s what we like to fight,” says Ancajas’ trainer/manager Joven Jimenez.

“It’s a dangerous fight for Jerwin…but Jerwin is always ready.”

Conlan (19-0, 11 KOs), who is five years older than Ancajas at 30, is the No. 5 contender for Ancajas’ title, with the IBF, and has been in a number of thrilling brawls in Europe, since stepping up his opposition in recent years. Last year he survived two knockdowns plus swelling and bleeding around his left eye to drop Anthony Nelson for the count to win the Commonwealth 115-pound title and, in his most recent fight, last March, he was dropped in the eighth round and cut over his left eye during a split decision win over Yader Cardoza.

Conlan’s younger brother Michael, an unbeaten prospect signed to Top Rank, fought on the same card as Ancajas in Australia, and Jamie Conlan got to see Ancajas’ stoppage win over Kinoshita with his own eyes.

“I’ve seen Jerwin Ancajas up close and personal. I really rate him. It’s a fight I believe I can win,” said Conlan.

https://www.ringtv.com/518649-jerwin-ancajas-make-third-title-defense-jamie-conlan-belfast/

"Belfast, Ireland" ... <{hfved}> You mean Northern Ireland, UK.

...<TheWire1>Unless this is supposed to be some sort of political dig. In that case, <seedat>

I liked the idea of Inoue-Ancajas in the next night of the SFW. I wouldn't mind Cuadras's stepping in, though.

I liked the idea of Inoue-Ancajas in the next night of the SFW. I wouldn't mind Cuadras's stepping in, though.
my guess is that Ancajas takes this then faces Inoue. Although, he also has to face Jonas Sultan (another Filipino), who just beat Casimero, so he's not exactly starved for options should he beat Conlan.

Ancajas can chop some serious liver.

No matter if Gonzalez retires, 115 is packed.

news sources say inoue takes a warm up in dec vs french boxer
then requesting ancajas in next bout in the states

news sources say inoue takes a warm up in dec vs french boxer
then requesting ancajas in next bout in the states
thats what I heard too. NYE is a big money maker in Japan, you'd have to be a fool to miss out on it (though I was hoping Inoue would take a better opponent, like Viloria/Rau'shee/Jonas Sultan, who were all being discussed). Inoue vs Ancajas is a great fight, can't wait for it.

They're feeding him Boyeaux. The guy is a no hoper but he may last a few rounds. His Ls were against decent guys in his 2 first years as a pro, and he spent several years in Argentina.

Inoue will brutally crush the frenchie and Ancajas no problem.

The northern Irishman got dominated from the start of round 1 to the end of round 6. One sided beat down. Asians r taking over boxing in the lower weight divisions.

Ancajas straight up killed the fool. British ref gave him so many chances, but dude was on his knees from the first round, lmao.

thats what I heard too. NYE is a big money maker in Japan, you'd have to be a fool to miss out on it (though I was hoping Inoue would take a better opponent, like Viloria/Rau'shee/Jonas Sultan, who were all being discussed). Inoue vs Ancajas is a great fight, can't wait for it.

I think they prefer a squash match to keep the crowd happy. He knows he'll be taking a tougher opponent when it comes to the next Superfly event anyways... Hoping he's on the event.

I think they prefer a squash match to keep the crowd happy. He knows he'll be taking a tougher opponent when it comes to the next Superfly event anyways... Hoping he's on the event.

And if he fights someone tough he might not be about to fight already by February. Its probably better this way.

First time I have heard of this guy. "Jerwin" is such a millennial Filipino guy name lol.

The northern Irishman got dominated from the start of round 1 to the end of round 6. One sided beat down. Asians r taking over boxing in the lower weight divisions.
Been that way for almost 50 years bro. Jerwin himself would get owned by Srisaket or Inoue.

Been that way for almost 50 years bro. Jerwin himself would get owned by Srisaket or Inoue.

Its only NOW that we see networks airing more and more of the lower divisions. Prior to that, Naseem Hamed put it on the map, but they never really covered the other divisions.

Floyd retiring, and freeing up cash. And the HBO Sports budget-cut have all contributed to the increased attention. All for the better. These guys are cheap but explosive!! We need more of that.

Back