Jermall Charlo Lands WBC #2 Rank at 160 To Champion Golovkin

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Last month, Jermall Charlo vacated the IBF junior middleweight title and announced his official move to the middleweight division. Charlo (25-0, 19 KOs) felt it was time to climb up in weight after finishing off 2016 with a twelve round decision win over former champion Austin Trout and then knocking out undefeated mandatory challenger Julian Williams. Jermall's twin brother, Jermell Charlo, is still at 154-pounds as the WBC junior middleweight world champion. Charlo has his sights set on a middleweight title and the World Boxing Council has given him a very high ranking, as he debuts in the number two position in their rankings.

The number three ranked Curtis Stevens and number four ranked David Lemieux will collide on Saturday night in New York. The WBC's number one ranked contender is still Jorge Sebastian Heiland, who has been waiting forever to get his mandatory crack at the middleweight crown. Heiland has been in line for that title shot for at least two years. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/jermall-...hampion-golovkin--114476#sthash.uMNgEJTI.dpuf

I mean, he is better than the vast majority of MWs so I don't have an issue with it.

After next weekend you may have to change it to be Jacobs' challenger, but I don't know that they'd ever fight each other. ie) I thought they were tight.

Still it's a good time to be a boxing fan.

After next weekend you may have to change it to be Jacobs' challenger, but I don't know that they'd ever fight each other. ie) I thought they were tight.

Still it's a good time to be a boxing fan.

We'd have to run this through RR, but I think he's only sparred with him at times. Jacobs sparred a lot with Quillin (as RR was like to tell me after I lost $100 to him betting on that fight) and they still fought.

I guess so. What's better then helping your friend make bank?

We'd have to run this through RR, but I think he's only sparred with him at times. Jacobs sparred a lot with Quillin (as RR was like to tell me after I lost $100 to him betting on that fight) and they still fought.

They are cool but Danny would fight him. Correct on the sparring

Oh, and GIVE HEILAND his fucking shot already... God damn dudes.

. The WBC's number one ranked contender is still Jorge Sebastian Heiland, who has been waiting forever to get his mandatory crack at the middleweight crown. Heiland has been in line for that title shot for at least two years.
So this poor Heiland guy is gonna fight Charlo while GGG fights Canelo or unifies with Saunders

Hahahahahahahaha he's getting rushed into a GGG fight!!

I love it. For all GGG's faults, Charlo is gonna get busted up. He better take his time. I bet if GGG rolls over Jacobs (and I'm not convinced that is necessarily the case, believe that), but if he does, then Charlo starts plucking excuses from thin air and works his way into a 'regular' WBA title, or something like that to pretend to be relevant. There is a difference in hitting power between 154 and 160. It's a weird lynch pin division. Though I guess that there is that adjustment when one goes up in every division, but I guess I just notice it around here more than I do at 147 to 154 or others. I could be way off too. I started drinking early today.

Anyway, where was I? Charlo's career starts to wind down from here at 160. That's right. Unless he fights nobodies or tailor-mades at 160.

Hahahahahahahaha he's getting rushed into a GGG fight!!

I love it. For all GGG's faults, Charlo is gonna get busted up. He better take his time. I bet if GGG rolls over Jacobs (and I'm not convinced that is necessarily the case, believe that), but if he does, then Charlo starts plucking excuses from thin air and works his way into a 'regular' WBA title, or something like that to pretend to be relevant. There is a difference in hitting power between 154 and 160. It's a weird lynch pin division. Though I guess that there is that adjustment when one goes up in every division, but I guess I just notice it around here more than I do at 147 to 154 or others. I could be way off too. I started drinking early today.

Anyway, where was I? Charlo's career starts to wind down from here at 160. That's right. Unless he fights nobodies or tailor-mades at 160.

I don't think Jermall is special by any means, but there isn't really much talent at 160. Outside of Golovkin, Jacobs (who probably isn't going to be at 160 too much longer), and Canelo I don't see too many guys that I'd pick over him.

I mean, he is better than the vast majority of MWs so I don't have an issue with it.
I have issue with a guy being moved to the top of the ranks in a new weight class before he even fights there.

Sadly think its says a lot about the division and how shallow it is,he is a good fighter but yikes number 2 ranked,i don't think he should go above derevyanchenko or Lemieux.

It's a lot higher than I was expecting but maybe they want him in a big fight soon. Is this common?

So this poor Heiland guy is gonna fight Charlo while GGG fights Canelo or unifies with Saunders
To be fair, Heiland has fought nobody since he beat Macklin in 2014, so he hasn't exactly earned a shot. Heiland vs Charlo would be a good fight to determine a mandatory, we don't want to have another situation where a guy like Dominic Wade somehow manages to get a shot.

Sadly think its says a lot about the division and how shallow it is,he is a good fighter but yikes number 2 ranked,i don't think he should go above derevyanchenko or Lemieux.
You're thinking of the IBF rankings where Charlo is at #3, below Derevyanchenko but above Lemieux.

These alphabet orgs are self-serving, in this particular case, the WBC and the IBF. They see marketability in Jermall and want to tap into it, or, they had some other kind of umm... incentive. Heiland has been waiting at least 2 years for his shot lol. Anyway, the WBC installed him as their #2 rated contender March 10th but that's awaiting his CBP paperwork so there's an asterisk next to his ranking. After that's complete he'll officially have that ranking. They should've waited to update their rankings because the very next day Lemieux (#4) knocked out their #3 in Stevens. They'll have to update their rankings yet again.

Here are the WBC's Top 10 rated contenders at the moment

1 .- Jorge Sebastian Heiland (Argentina)
2 .- Jermall Charlo (US) * CBP/P
3 .- Curtis Stevens (US) AMERICA
4 .- David Lemieux (Canada)
5 .- Sergey Derevyanchenko (Ukraine)
6 .- Maciej Sulecki (Poland)
7 .- Immanuwel Aleem (US) SILVER
8 .- Matt Korobov (Russia)
9 .- Arif Magomedov (Russia)
10 .- Hugo Centeno, Jr. (US)
http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/ratings?layout=edit&id=145

* CBP/P = Clean Boxing Program Paperwork

Last edited:
You're thinking of the IBF rankings where Charlo is at #3, below Derevyanchenko but above Lemieux.
Nope what I was said was totally correct its still there now tho im sure after lemiues beating Curtis stevens that wwill change stevens is ranked #3, lemiuex is #4 and derevyanchenko is #5.

division is shallow and even though he is moving up, as a fighter charlo is much much more accomplished than the majority of mw fighters currently ranked..regarding level of opposition, world class experience and athleticism

These alphabet orgs are self-serving, in this particular case, the WBC and the IBF. They see marketability in Jermall and want to tap into it, or, they had some other kind of umm... incentive. Heiland has been waiting at least 2 years for his shot lol. Anyway, the WBC installed him as their #2 rated contender March 10th but that's awaiting his CBP paperwork so there's an asterisk next to his ranking. After that's complete he'll officially have that ranking. They should've waited to update their rankings because the very next day Lemieux (#4) knocked out their #3 in Stevens. They'll have to update their rankings yet again.

Here are the WBC's Top 10 rated contenders at the moment

1 .- Jorge Sebastian Heiland (Argentina)
2 .- Jermall Charlo (US) * CBP/P
3 .- Curtis Stevens (US) AMERICA
4 .- David Lemieux (Canada)
5 .- Sergey Derevyanchenko (Ukraine)
6 .- Maciej Sulecki (Poland)
7 .- Immanuwel Aleem (US) SILVER
8 .- Matt Korobov (Russia)
9 .- Arif Magomedov (Russia)
10 .- Hugo Centeno, Jr. (US)
http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/ratings?layout=edit&id=145

* CBP/P = Clean Boxing Program Paperwork
I would have to guess that Lemieux moved up after Saturday night. Those rankings are laughable. When did MW become some a shitty division?

Back