Jermall Charlo: De La Hoya hasn’t contacted me for Canelo Alvarez fight

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Oscar De La Hoya said last week that Jermall Charlo is one of the names on his list of backup options for a fight against Saul Canelo Alvarez on September 15 if they’re unable to put together a rematch against middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin. However, Charlo (27-0, 21 KOs) says he hasn’t been contacted by De La Hoya to take the fight with Canelo, and he sees it as just hype from De la Hoya.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/0...-hasnt-contacted-me-for-canelo-alvarez-fight/

I can't believe people ever still believe De La Hoya and his team. A couple years ago DLH was saying he was making a comeback and wanted to fight GGG himself. Lol.

Well yeah, the priority is the Golovkin rematch. Just because they said Charlo is a potential opponent doesn't mean he's got the fight.

Alvarez would fight in September, and, in spite of what both sides are saying, both GGG and Alvarez know they are each other's first pick. So that'll get figured out first because that's the serious money. Nobody is going to make any money fighting Charlo. Charlo is a nobody. Even Danny Jacobs was mocking him for not making any money when they had a bro down in a hallway at Barclays Centre (I think it was there). GGG will fight him because it's a mandatory, and that's only if the Alvarez fight falls through. Then again, Sergiy is in the mix. I don't know which one will get first crack at GGG or if GGG will be forced to dump one of his belts in order to face the mandatory for the other.

My bet: Alvarez vs GGG in September. The mandatories have to wait. They could fight each other in the meantime. Danny and Charlo should fight. I would really love to see that fight.

Back