Jeff Monson knows he shouldn’t be fighting but wants to ‘win 60 fights’ before retirement

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
However, despite it being Monson's fifth loss that year, he simply refused to put an end to his career just yet. He has one final goal to reach before the end.

"I have 58 wins," Monson told MMAJunkie.com. "It's not that deep or anything. I want to win 60 fights."

Monson, who recently became a Russian citizen, revealed that he does not want to end his career on a bad note and would rather go out on his own terms than helped along by one f his teammates. Once he manages to get those two wins, he can retire and open an academy in Russia.

"Yes, 100 percent that's what I'm doing," he said. "I know that when I'm done I want to teach, run my own school, all that. But do I want to do it right now?"

Even if Monson is prepared to fight for the next decade, his entire support team - friends, family, teammates - believe he should retire as soon as possible.

"Everybody thinks (continuing to fight) is a bad idea for me," Monson said. "Everybody."

He seems to have started getting Ko'ed often lately, so sticking around and taking brain damage is definitely not a good plan.

Hope he can get the wins quick and move on with his teaching project!

That seems like a pretty arbitrary number for someone that should have retired 5+ years ago.

Is two more wins (likely over non reputable competition) really worth it if he has to get knocked out another 3-6 times? He isn't even making great money and has joked about such. Why not just open his academy in Russia now? One can only ask him really. I would say get out to save his heath but he doesn't really have that anymore, I guess it could be worse.

I used to be really gung ho about fighters going until they say stop but that video of Goodridge saying he wished someone would have stopped him made me think about it more.

However, despite it being Monson's fifth loss that year, he simply refused to put an end to his career just yet. He has one final goal to reach before the end.

"I have 58 wins," Monson told MMAJunkie.com. "It's not that deep or anything. I want to win 60 fights."

Monson, who recently became a Russian citizen, revealed that he does not want to end his career on a bad note and would rather go out on his own terms than helped along by one f his teammates. Once he manages to get those two wins, he can retire and open an academy in Russia.

"Yes, 100 percent that's what I'm doing," he said. "I know that when I'm done I want to teach, run my own school, all that. But do I want to do it right now?"

Even if Monson is prepared to fight for the next decade, his entire support team - friends, family, teammates - believe he should retire as soon as possible.

"Everybody thinks (continuing to fight) is a bad idea for me," Monson said. "Everybody."

If he's going to fight he should face Ken Sahmrock or Royce Gracie. Maybe both to try to get to 60 wins. Watching him fight now is depressing.

I hope he north-south chokes 2 more nobodies so he can retire and happily teach instead of fighting. He has so much knowledge to share, he shouldn't be getting beaten up on strange Russian cards anymore.

I hope these 2 wins come in his next 2 fights. It's sad watching him these days...
And to think that a few years back he was fighting guys like Fedor,Aleks and Cormier. :(

I like the guy but he is a strange individual. Who the f#$% would want to live in Russia, people are running away in droves. I guess he prolly has more business opportunities though and can get more amateur fights... he probably can't even get sanctioned in the US anymore.​

I like the guy but he is a strange individual. Who the f#$% would want to live in Russia, people are running away in droves. I guess he prolly has more business opportunities though and can get more amateur fights... he probably can't even get sanctioned in the US anymore.​

Jeff's relatively articulate but a Mensa candidate he's not.

Be that as it may, I hope the guy can string together a couple more wins so his Russian soul can get out of the fight game as quickly as possible.

He should go join the masters division in rizin. Him vs TK or shamrock would be alot more fair than vs these young hungry guys who still have knees

He has 59 documented wins on wiki. He doesnt count one? Maybe he's just looking to prolong his fight career.

Edit: so he is going off of fight finder, which is missing one of his fights. His second against Denis Komkin from september 26 2013, which wiki actually has a specific source for: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma...4045-BE4D-4954-A9F5-065169A63396#fight_271044

Mods can you guys save Jeff some brain cells and update fight finder?

Last edited:
I hope he north-south chokes 2 more nobodies so he can retire and happily teach instead of fighting. He has so much knowledge to share, he shouldn't be getting beaten up on strange Russian cards anymore.

North/South choke...Russian. Couldn't help myself. Two more Jeff then hang it the fuck up.

24b5h87.jpg

I really like Monson. But who are they gonna fight to lose to him. He has looked horrible. He should have stopped fighting back in 2011 when he still had his chin. Now he gets KO every other month. Shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back