Jeet Kune Do

Why is it bullshit? He's redering to the difference in training methods. Boxing and wrestling are alive where as an Kung Fu except sanda has dead training, forms,and no sparring. That and the boxers punch is superior to KF punches

Why is it bullshit? He's redering to the difference in training methods. Boxing and wrestling are alive where as an Kung Fu except sanda has dead training, forms,and no sparring. That and the boxers punch is superior to KF punches

Reminds me of that one episode of Fight Quest where they were training Wing Chun, and during the fights at the end, the WC guys were getting their faces beaten in with boxing and the guys got penalized because they weren't using WC punches.:icon_chee

In the end there are two kinds of stand up, those with rules and those without. I think Bruce would have dismissed MMA for what it is.. a sport. This fact cannot be disputed, as anyone who has read any of Bruce's stuff knows he was anti sport

However I think he would have approved of the first UFCs with very few rules compared to todays MMA

There are many other styles of kung-fu besides Sanda that still have reality training. My style still does hard contact sparring sessions and occasionally it has sent people to the E.R. It is a small school and your are not going to find it more than in about 4 places, but don't assume that just because one Kung-fu school sucks that all suck. That is like say thing because one MMA school is awesome they are all awesome.

Reminds me of that one episode of Fight Quest where they were training Wing Chun, and during the fights at the end, the WC guys were getting their faces beaten in with boxing and the guys got penalized because they weren't using WC punches.:icon_chee

I actually saw that episode and laughed pretty hard when "Hollywood" turned the match into a western boxing match. Good shit.

Also, after a week of training in Ninjitsu Big bill defeated the black belt.

I don't think it is a cop out, because Bruce Lee seemed opposed to using a weapon. I recall reading an example he made about a man with a knife versus an unarmed man. He says the man with the knife becomes fixated on only using the knife whereas the unarmed man has more tools available to him. I believe this ties into his belief that more than just the fundamentals of JKD, he emphasizes the need to honestly express ourselves totally and completely through the use of our body. I believe in that sense, using a chair, or any other kind of weapon is counter intuitive to Lee's philosophy of discovering ourselves through understanding our bodies as a total unit. One could argue that a weapon can become an extension of one's body, but personally I'd like to think Bruce Lee was more fixated on how to bring out the full potential of the human body without the use of weapons. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm misrepresenting the JKD philosophy, but I believe Bruce Lee intended JKD to be more of an individual journey rather a holistic one.So the history, names, and direction Lee's students are taking JKD in is rather moot in my eyes.

Why are there three posts with the exact same video of a section of a late night cartoon? This thread is turning bat shit crazy between the two guys arguing about Jun Fan Gung Fu vs. Jeet Kune Do and the guy who's posting fucking Aqua Team Hunger Force. I think the reality is Bruce got wasted out of his mind and wrote a bunch of shit down that got interpreted as 'holy shit, this is fucking amazing. I'm having a braingasm right now just thinking about it'. As some guy said on here, Bruce did live in Southern California during the early 70's. Not taking away from the fact that Bruce was a genius/badass ninja, but seriously.

Why are there three posts with the exact same video of a section of a late night cartoon? This thread is turning bat shit crazy between the two guys arguing about Jun Fan Gung Fu vs. Jeet Kune Do and the guy who's posting fucking Aqua Team Hunger Force. I think the reality is Bruce got wasted out of his mind and wrote a bunch of shit down that got interpreted as 'holy shit, this is fucking amazing. I'm having a braingasm right now just thinking about it'. As some guy said on here, Bruce did live in Southern California during the early 70's. Not taking away from the fact that Bruce was a genius/badass ninja, but seriously.

Actually that was Northern California, not southern. I've already posted a quote where Bruce says he has no problem with Judo or Boxing but they're too limiting.

Oh. Well, thank you for correcting my ignorance. Either way, though, it was California in the 70's. And I'm sure he did like Boxing and Judo. I thimk he got a black belt in Judo before he died. Of course, Wikipedia told me, though... Plus I saw like an article about how Bruce used to study Muhammad Ali because everybody said that they had to fight someday. I was talking in my post about how there are two guys arguing about 'the true spirit of jeet kune do'. I think Bruce should'nt have put the -do at the end cuz that immediately correlates to a new style. But then, how could he possibly have known his personal belongings would've been pillaged after he died?

And how do I get a new belt on sherdog?

By fighting with somebody else from the forum if you think your skills are good enough it can be arranged.......

:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis

It's not truly anything new. If anything it was a return to beginning of Martial Arts prior to specific techniques being segmented and splintered off into new styles. Thus, they're are no Karatekas, no Judokas, no boxers because in Bruce's idealized world, all martial artist would train these tactics and strategies within their own MA.

But Jeet Kune Do as it exists and as it always has, is largely based off of Wing Chun and supplements specific techniques from other arts as necessary. Bruce studied Shotokan, Judo, Boxing, TaekwonDo, Aikido and cherry picked elements from them and added them to his base art: Wing Chun.
This is what we're beginning to see with MMA. Where Karatekas and Nak Muays learn to grapple and Wrestlers learn to strike.

Plus I saw like an article about how Bruce used to study Muhammad Ali because everybody said that they had to fight someday.

Some of Bruce's students thought he would just blow out Ali's leg with a side-kick, but Bruce himelf was more realistic. There is an article scanned online somewhere - possibly from Black Belt, I can't remember - that is relatively easy to Google up, if I recall. It's sort of an interview with Bruce, and part of it talks about how Bruce would run films of Ali's fights on a projector, and stand and move with the boxer because he wanted to emulate his footwork and whatnot. The interviewer asks if Bruce could beat Ali in a fight, and Bruce (I'm pretty sure I've got this down word for word) holds up a clenched fist and says:

Bruce Lee said:
Look at this hand. This is a little Chinaman's hand. Ali would kill me.

But Jeet Kune Do as it exists and as it always has, is largely based off of Wing Chun

Not really

JKD is composed of three arts
Boxing Footwork
Westin Fencing principles
And Wing Chun early on with the trapping and whatnot.
But he later discarded W/C all together and picked up a heavy bag. W/C's flaws is the reason why he developed JKD in the first place.

Not really

JKD is composed of three arts
Boxing Footwork
Westin Fencing principles
And Wing Chun early on with the trapping and whatnot.
But he later discarded W/C all together and picked up a heavy bag. W/C's flaws is the reason why he developed JKD in the first place.

Wing Chun is the base of Jeet Kune Do, "The Way of the Intercepting Fist" He added tools from other arts as he saw fit.

Once Again:
This is actually what Bruce had to say:
"The best fighter is not a Boxer, Karate or Judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt on any style. He kicks too good for a Boxer, throws too good for a Karate man, and punches too good for a Judo man." - Bruce Lee

Also about sports:
"Unfortunately, now in boxing people are only allowed to punch. In Judo, people are only allowed to throw. I do not despise these kinds of martial arts. What I mean is, we now find rigid forms which create differences among clans, and the world of martial art is shattered as a result." - Bruce Lee

Back