JDS says Stipe beaten him with a lucky shot

This what happens to you when you have a lot of fights Cro Cop vs JDS when JDS was young and no injuries.. Just like Stipe vs JDS now

JDS was a bad mo-fo back in the day, But Stipe is THAT guy now.

JDS is the same guy today. The only difference is the damage he has taken. The issue is that his opponents have completely figured him out. He has relied on the same things ever since he got in the UFC. Still sets his strikes up the same way, still ends combos the same way, etc. I'm surprised it worked for as long as it did. People say he used to be better but the truth is that he's the exact same guy today, its just that the competition is better and again, they've figured him out.

Junior never evolved and it's really starting to effect his career now. His game is and always has been the same, only thing that changed was the amount of damage he has taken. That effects a fighter obviously and might make people think he's not the same monster he used to be, but the issue comes down to his predictably and those specific holes he never really improved on (getting smashed against the fence).

I'm sure many would disagree with this, but just watch literally all of his fights in the UFC and you'll see. The man never evolved, became predictable and never improved on/fixed the glaring holes in his game, specifically his defense.

I am going to be very, very charitable here and say that this is the kind of thing JDS subconsciously thinks he needs to say and believe right now as he's training to fight Ngannou. No crack in his armor of confidence can be allowed. And judging by his post fight interview it's not like he can actually remember the blow, so his mind is much more freed to shape the narrative according to his present need.

At least he's not claiming that Stipe tapped....

JDS knows about luck. That early punch that he landed on Cain's temple sure was. In the two rematches where he got beatdown that big punch was nowhere to be found.

I hate the expression "lucky punch".

Was JDS KO shot of Cain Velasquez lucky? (No. He intended to land a big punch and did. Just like Stipe Miocic intended to KO JDS, and did so. No luck about it.)
That's a silly argument that gets used a lot. If you make a half court basketball shot, the simple fact that you were aiming for the basket doesn't means it's not lucky. Guys miss huge punches a hell of a lot more than they connect.

Lucky punch?!

I love JDS to death but he has a bad habit of fighting in straight lines and getting mauled against the cage. He needs to accept that he has a big weakness and his chin is not the same as before.

The dude needs to retire. He's too tough for his own good (which is a shame because he's p4p one of the nicest dudes in MMA).

I hate the expression "lucky punch".

Was JDS KO shot of Cain Velasquez lucky? (No. He intended to land a big punch and did. Just like Stipe Miocic intended to KO JDS, and did so. No luck about it.)

Everything in life has a certain amount of luck.

Yes, JDS's punch on Cain also needed luck; to land where it did, to have that happen early in the fight when he had full power, to have Cain be a little nervous and give him that mistake, and so on.

I like JDS so I'll forget I've ever read this

I love JDS but Stipe meant to throw a punch and it landed, no fluke here.

No such thing as a lucky lunch. If he throws a punch and you get hit by it its because he threw a punch and you didnt defend properly.

That's a silly argument that gets used a lot. If you make a half court basketball shot, the simple fact that you were aiming for the basket doesn't means it's not lucky. Guys miss huge punches a hell of a lot more than they connect.
So your circumstantial example proves luck is real?

Sorry, reality doesn't work that way.

JDS was passive as hell in that fight, he'd get KO'd ni matter what

Everything in life has a certain amount of luck.

Yes, JDS's punch on Cain also needed luck; to land where it did, to have that happen early in the fight when he had full power, to have Cain be a little nervous and give him that mistake, and so on.
Sure I know what you mean. I suppose the term depends on it's context an what it's meaning is.

I view the term as dismissive and irrespective of the craft of martial-arts.

Think of it this way: Every fighter who has ever fought could claim they lost merely because of a lucky circumstance. Meanwhile, to sum up a shot like Miocic's punch on JDS as "lucky" ignores the many othe factors at play in combat (training, skill, reflexes, etc).

I've never used luck as an excuse for any of my losses. But that doesn't mean you can't.

So your circumstantial example proves luck is real?

Sorry, reality doesn't work that way.
They're all circumstantial examples. Intention doesn't negate probability.

Sorry, that is exactly how reality works.

jds has no ground game or wrestling hes a one dimensional fighter with excellent boxing and takedown defence.. reminds me of cro cop in his early days..

I was surprised to see JDS cover up like that from a shot. I know it was a big shot but I feel like he's been hit with harder before and kept pressing. I think he knows his body has taken damage and doesn't wanna have full out wars no more it's not smart for his health

jds has no ground game or wrestling hes a one dimensional fighter with excellent boxing and takedown defence.. reminds me of cro cop in his early days..

They say he's a black belt in BJJ. He must have some level of skill with it.
There are a lot of fighters like that....brown or black belt, but seem to do everything to avoid anything to do with being on the ground.

giphy.gif

<{cruzshake}>

Lol @ Stipes tattoos.

Croatian? American? Asian ...

<{MingNope}>

Back