Jaunty's "My House, My Rules" Fatherly Advice Basement Bar

I like this sub-forum, the main has been shit for a few years, but I thoroughly enjoy the pub community.

@JimRussel, I agree that it can be frustrating when people spin their wheels and complain about not making progress. Personally, I'm inspired by your progress and your determination to get as strong as possible especially considering what you dealt with injury wise. However, @Oblivian is correct, lifting is fun for most of us, we don't all have the same goals as you do. Outside of daken, I don't think there is much complaining or excuse making on this sub-forum. It's possible to really want to be stronger but for it to not be someone's top priority. For me it comes in behind providing for my family, having a good relationship with my wife and kid, and overall health. That doesn't stop me from loving to put a bar on my back and squat. I know I'll still love lifting when I'm older and its an even lower priority than it is now.

Same goes for any hobby/athletic pursuit. If I can't get better at it in some way, why would I bother to keep dedicating time to it?

Same goes for any hobby/athletic pursuit. If I can't get better at it in some way, why would I bother to keep dedicating time to it?
Because sometimes people participate in hobbies, just because they enjoy the endeavor, it's something the do to decompress/stress relief, or it's something the do to spend time with friends.

Happiness, enjoyment, I'm not trying to be a dick but I hope you can do something just for fun. I'm a very competitive dude but I still enjoy doing things I suck at and don't care enough to get better at. Karaoke and Billards are two examples of this.

That's why I smoke weed before I go to bed lol.

For me, a lot of the enjoyment I get from lifting comes from the constant pursuit of PRs and a better total.

Is it that hard to understand that not everyone does things for the same reason as you?

I wouldn't find golfing, scrapbooking, fantasy football, or musical theatre relaxing. But I have no problem acknowledging that others find it enjoyable, or that others can experience life much differently than I do, and their experience is no less validated than my own.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult actually.

Striving solely for mediocrity and "enjoyment" seems terrible.

Lifting (or any hobby that you aren't making a living from) should, and most likely will, become a smaller part of everyone's lives as they get older and progress in life. You are going to have more and more responsibilities and things that are more important than a hobby. You are going to reach that point unless you don't progress much in life. We are talking about powerlifting - the fringe of the fringe.

Lol are you not understanding how insignificant lifting should be in most people's lives? Not all of us are like Brandon Lilly and choose lifting over their own kid. I see videos from guys like him and Leeman and think are caricatures of a stereotype. It's like the guy in Bigger Stronger Faster living in a van because "at the end of the day, who deadlifts most is king" or whatever he said. Yes, choose a life of poverty and stagnation to win a few swords at the powerlifting competitions.

I mean, striving for mediocrity is fine, just don't whine about or make excuses for it.

The point is they're not striving at all, they're just enjoying themselves. If my son wants to play ball in the backyard, I can go out and play with him. Playing ball with him doesn't mean I have to strive and become an amazing baseball player. It just means messing around and having some fun with him.

I think you just have a hard time understanding that others don't want to get stronger at all costs or prioritize the gainz as a huge deal in their life. You basically just admitted that earlier. So when you see someone say something like lifting has been shit because I've been busy at school or lifting has been sporadic because I can't stay on the program with time constraints, you think they are whining or making an excuse. Could they just get less sleep and lift? Absolutely. Could they make lifting a higher priority over something else in their life? Sure. But I don't think the intent to those comments is whining and saying "poor me" or stating that it's impossible. They could just be stating what is going on with their life and why they have chose not to lift recently.

I'm all for you making gains and becoming strong as hell. I'm sure you are having fun while at it too which is most important. But in the end, you are going to be in the minority if lifting is going to be one of the most important things in your life throughout your 20's and 30's. I don't think you'll find a single forum out there where people share the same sentiment for that long of a time. A career, family, responsibilities, other interests, etc. are going to take over for most. You keep throwing out the mediocrity thing as if something great is being achieved. In the end, unless you are competing all over, how is it different than being a gym rat?

I have a pretty specific long term goal that's been there since day 1.

I like this sub-forum, the main has been shit for a few years, but I thoroughly enjoy the pub community.

This thread has been a real paragon of quality. Really something to hang your hat on while looking down on everyone else.

I think you just have a hard time understanding that others don't want to get stronger at all costs or prioritize the gainz as a huge deal in their life. You basically just admitted that earlier. So when you see someone say something like lifting has been shit because I've been busy at school or lifting has been sporadic because I can't stay on the program with time constraints, you think they are whining or making an excuse. Could they just get less sleep and lift? Absolutely. Could they make lifting a higher priority over something else in their life? Sure. But I don't think the intent to those comments is whining and saying "poor me" or stating that it's impossible. They could just be stating what is going on with their life and why they have chose not to lift recently.

I'm all for you making gains and becoming strong as hell. I'm sure you are having fun while at it too which is most important. But in the end, you are going to be in the minority if lifting is going to be one of the most important things in your life throughout your 20's and 30's. I don't think you'll find a single forum out there where people share the same sentiment for that long of a time. A career, family, responsibilities, other interests, etc. are going to take over for most. You keep throwing out the mediocrity thing as if something great is being achieved. In the end, unless you are competing all over, how is it different than being a gym rat?
I'm part of the minority I guess...Powerlifting is and always be one of the more important things in my life.

I can see both sides of the argument. I'm more on Jim's side of things but I don't begrudge people who have higher priorities in life than the weights. Not everyone wants a mortgage and kids, some people want to be excellent at something, it could even be something super niche like powerlifting or jiu-jitsu. I certainly want to be better at both of those things more than I want mortgage payments and to be a father.

Live and let live my pedigree chums.
Wasn't this whole discussion about people asking for advice and completely disregarding the advice offered by experienced lifters?
I think @TheeFaulted hit the nail on the head with how this forum works and it's cycle.
This whole forum isn't strength and condition specific, so we're going to see stupid questions and bad advice from people jumping over from mayberry or where ever. I remember when I first started posting here and argued with a lot of you because I didn't know any better.
This sub forum is a great resource that we have all benefit from, and if we only help 1 in 5 become a better lifter or more knowledgable then it's worth it.

Live and let live my pedigree chums.
Wasn't this whole discussion about people asking for advice and completely disregarding the advice offered by experienced lifters?
I think @TheeFaulted hit the nail on the head with how this forum works and it's cycle.
This whole forum isn't strength and condition specific, so we're going to see stupid questions and bad advice from people jumping over from mayberry or where ever. I remember when I first started posting here and argued with a lot of you because I didn't know any better.
This sub forum is a great resource that we have all benefit from, and if we only help 1 in 5 become a better lifter or more knowledgable then it's worth it.

believe_nischala.jpg

Back