Jaunty's "My House, My Rules" Fatherly Advice Basement Bar

You're only a Test + Anavar cycle away from that bruv. Then you can be a proper valley commando.

You're only a Test + Anavar cycle away from that bruv. Then you can be a proper valley commando.

Valley commando is a lifestyle, not just a steroid cycle and a salmon coloured skin tight tshirt or muscle vest. I'd have to get a tight fade hair style, clean shaven or chin chain, fake tan, diamond earing, gold chain necklace, tribal sleeve and skinny fit jeans. I'd also have to brag about the fights I have with the bouncers whilst out in Cardiff or Swansea with the boys.. and the latest conquest I banged.

Jim's making some valid points but I think in Doc's case, he's never really complained about not getting stronger.

Can't people just enjoy lifting weights for the exercise? I mean you are going to see people in every activity who get to a certain point and don't have major progression because it's just a hobby to them. Golfers who shoot bogey golf for years but still enjoy it is an example. They could improve their score by doing putting + chipping drills, but they don't give a shit enough to do that and just enjoy playing the game. Guitarists who could become better by drilling scales, but they've got to a point where they just enjoy playing and writing music. Grapplers who take a really long time to earn the next belt, but they just enjoy going and rolling.

The fact is that lifting is going to be a pretty insignificant portion of most people's lives, especially those who rarely (if ever) compete. I don't think a lot of people really give a shit if they are progressing much. Lifting weights is just exercise for most. People can call it "training", but what are you really "training" for if there is no competition aspect to it?

Can't people just enjoy lifting weights for the exercise? I mean you are going to see people in every activity who get to a certain point and don't have major progression because it's just a hobby to them. Golfers who shoot bogey golf for years but still enjoy it is an example. They could improve their score by doing putting + chipping drills, but they don't give a shit enough to do that and just enjoy playing the game. Guitarists who could become better by drilling scales, but they've got to a point where they just enjoy playing and writing music. Grapplers who take a really long time to earn the next belt, but they just enjoy going and rolling.

The fact is that lifting is going to be a pretty insignificant portion of most people's lives, especially those who rarely (if ever) compete. I don't think a lot of people really give a shit if they are progressing much. Lifting weights is just exercise for most. People can call it "training", but what are you really "training" for if there is no competition aspect to it?

^I agree with this, some people just do things for fun. However this forum is a forum for people doing S&C for sports (mainly MMA due to the nature of Sherdog) who you would expect to have a slightly higher level of investment than perhaps r/fitness. Considering it was S&P back in the day would also suggest this is a forum for more serious lifters.

I also think that Jim is being a bit unfair. Some posters here are older, have kids, train other sports that cut into training and recovery time and so forth. I have no excuses but plenty of people have quite valid reasons for not making more progress - and while I do admit that life is simply about setting priorities, as in if it's your priority to be stronger you can be, I also recognise that people have different obstacles in life, and varying levels of motivation to overcome those obstacles. I try not to pass judgement on that but I can see the frustration if you ever get someone like daken (the worst example) who says one thing and does another. I know lots of people like that IRL and it's a shitty person in general that does that type of behaviour.

^I agree with this, some people just do things for fun. However this forum is a forum for people doing S&C for sports (mainly MMA due to the nature of Sherdog) who you would expect to have a slightly higher level of investment than perhaps r/fitness. Considering it was S&P back in the day would also suggest this is a forum for more serious lifters.
This forum has never been for people training S&C for MMA.

I agree @TheeFaulted
I was under the impression that this sub-forum was for Powerlifters and Strength Sports. Training for MMA was very rarely ever discussed until the forum changed to S&C.

But I do get what @Obscure Terror was getting at. @JimRussel 's frustration is pretty valid too. He's invested a lot of time into this forum, and into a lot of us. And many times, his advice falls on deaf ears, or worse.

Oh god, this sounds terrible.

Which is the cycle this forum has always run.

A bunch of guys are interested in lifting.
A strong guy gives them some tips.
Most people scoff it off looking for some stupid trend or someone to back their ideas.
A few listen and start getting stronger.
The strong guys get tired of answering stupid questions and grow weary and leave.
Without strong guys the forum gets dumber.
Cycle starts over.

Which is the cycle this forum has always run.

A bunch of guys are interested in lifting.
A strong guy gives them some tips.
Most people scoff it off looking for some stupid trend or someone to back their ideas.
A few listen and start getting stronger.
The strong guys get tired of answering stupid questions and grow weary and leave.
Without strong guys the forum gets dumber.
Cycle starts over.

Interesting.

I have watched zero Olympics and I have been off of work the entire time.

Not even beach volleyball?
I went to a comedy club and they were showing some volleyball prior to the comics going on.

So I watched about 35 seconds of total Olympics, I guess, I was not watching intently, I was having a conversation at the table.

There was some pretty blatant buying off of judges in boxing as well.

Olympics as an org. is a joke. I still like watching.

Oh god, this sounds terrible.

How? What sounds terrible to me is the people that talk about "the grind", "sacrifices to get better", or "discipline" in something that is basically a hobby. Most aren't competing at a high level, making money from it, sponsored from it, etc. I mean most are lifting weights at some gym hitting PRs or competing in "competition" with about 3 in their weight class at the high school gym. Lifting weights really isn't a big deal. There is nothing wrong with lifting, or doing any other hobby, for fun without worrying too much about progression.

And I think you'll find this with almost anyone at some point, even the ones that are so hardcore about progression. I know guys who were sponsored at skateboarding and actually made a living from it. They are now in their 30's and talk about how nice it is to just skate around without worrying about getting better. Same with golfers. My boss used to travel all over competing and talks about how it's nice to just go out and play. The whole point in a hobby is to have fun. Getting better is always fun, but at some point, you realize it's going to take sacrifices that you may not be willing to make anymore as it's just a hobby.

If someone told me that, from this point forward, I could never get any better at lifting, I'd most likely stop doing it.

Back