Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (Worst directors and filmmakers of all time)

Lights Out 101

Living Deliciously
@Black
Reaction score
So last night I was randomly thinking about "Disaster Movie" and how much of a piece of shit that movie was, which lead me to googling the directors responsible for that monstrosity.

Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer... These two motherfuckers are responsible for arguably some of the worst movies in history (Epic Movie, Date Movie, Vampires Suck etc.)

So upon learning about this, I decided to dig further down the rabbit hole and find out why these guys suck so much and why they keep getting work. Turns out their movies always do pretty well at the box office no matter how poorly they are received by audiences and critics (says a lot about humanity really), and more importantly, it's obviously a non-subtle plan on their part to dumb down the masses as much as possible in order to churn out a profit.

Here's some great quotes on their wiki page -

"Friedberg and Seltzer...are not filmmakers. They are evildoers, charlatans, symbols of Western civilization's decline.."

"Spoof movies, as practiced by the cultural blight that is Seltzer-Friedberg, aren't just troubling from an aesthetic viewpoint. They're horrifying from a moral standpoint as well. The parody of the Zucker brothers and Mel Brooks is defined by love, knowledge, and appreciation: The Zucker brothers and Mel Brooks love, know, and appreciate the source material they're spoofing enough to get all the details perfect. The comedy of Seltzer-Friedberg, in sharp contrast, is defined by contempt: contempt for the attention span, intelligence, maturity, and frame of reference for the audience, and an even more raging contempt for the source material they're spoofing. Friedberg and Seltzer aren't writers; they're comic terrorists who cavalierly destroy what others create for their own ugly self-interest. Their success is entirely dependent on making comedy a dumber, crasser, less dignified place"

Tldr: These guys suck and people are dumb for paying to watch their movies.

Discuss

It's funny reading the conspiracy theories on reddit about these guys. Some believe they don't actually exist, and some people believe they are actually Steven Soderbergh?

You hit the nail on the head that the audience itself is largely responsible for supporting this nonsense, and that pervades throughout the entire industry.

If commercial success only resulted from quality, we would be in a permanent Renaissance.

They suck, but if I could make millions of dollars from scripts written on napkins(if that), and using my high school drama class wardrobe and props as set dressing, I'd do it too.

I imagine these guys were just as amazed at how easy it was to throw to these flicks together, and have idiots flock to the theaters to see it over and over again. At some point, you have to stop blaming them for being opportunists. I picture them just laughing their asses off at the stupid amount of money they were making from this shit. I mean, they had a good solid 4 or 5 movie run, where they were topping the box office with this garbage. That's actually kind of hilarious.

Its sad how fuckin dumb people are to go see this crap. Or even buy the dvds.

i mean my dude Uwe Boll has made some pretty atrocious movies

Those Rampage movies aren't that bad though (not the one's w/ monsters, but the psycho loner guy on a killing spree)

Back