Jason DeLucia's Combat Aikido

So, regarding the next mystery: I just watched UFC 3. Have you ever noticed that Ken Shamrocks outfit changes between the Leininger and Mitchell fights? Against Leininger, he is wearing red trunks. Against Mitchell, he is wearing bright yellow trunks.

I never really paid attention to that. Is there a known reason for that change?

You know, I can ask Christophe Leininger. I was basically his little protégé for some years.

Also for another mystery(though I think it's solved on my end)

Who was the first to wear the modern day MMA gloves.

Everyone always brings up Tank.

My money is on Melton Bowen.

Granted that's only accounting for the UFC

You know, I can ask Christophe Leininger. I was basically his little protégé for some years.
Please do if you get a chance! I tried searching online but it seems like nobody ever noticed or cared. Now i'm curious why he changed the trunks, lol

Who was the first to wear the modern day MMA gloves.

Everyone always brings up Tank.

My money is on Melton Bowen.

Granted that's only accounting for the UFC
Melton Bowen also immediately popped into my head. I checked a couple of those rare alternative bouts to make sure Thaddeus Luster or Alberto Cerro Leon or something didn't happen to wear them, but it turned out nobody did, so we were both correct. Naturally, it's kind of a matter of opinion as to what you count as "modern day MMA gloves", so i don't think the question can be answered for general MMA because it's down to individual judgement. Hybrid gloves for striking and grappling are not really rare, though i get the impression they have decreased in size. The really old Shooto ones were interesting because they had thicker padding but the palms were bare.

Here are some fun trivia questions for you (that i couldn't answer without looking it up):
1. Who was the last person to wear a Gi in the UFC?
2. Who was the last person to wear shoes in the UFC?
3. Has there ever been another finish in MMA resembling the first Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock fight (RNC from the side with one leg entangled and turtled opponent)?
4. Who was the first person in the UFC to submit someone by pressuring their head into the cage? Sounds weird but i have noticed that in the mid to late 90's, it suddenly became a trend to win matches this way. The official finishing technique categorization changes ("neck crank" to "forearm choke" to "submission from punches" etc.) so the pattern only becomes noticeable from actually watching the fights, but it suddenly started happening a lot. The first time i saw it deliberately done was at the Ultimate Ultimate when Tank Abbott took down Steve Jennum and immediately dragged him all across the Octagon from half guard to place the back of his head against the cage and push into him with all his weight.

Frank carraci (sp)!

Uhm... Alex Andrade? He got dqd for kicking with them.

No??? (Wild guess)

I guessed it was tank til I read the rest of the question. I have no idea.

3. Has there ever been another finish in MMA resembling the first Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock fight (RNC from the side with one leg entangled and turtled opponent)?

Askren vs Lawler?

Off the top of my head maybe Jiri vs Glover as well.

Last edited:
Who was the first to wear the modern day MMA gloves
Careful now, asking this question is like saying beetlejuices name three times except instead of a ghoulish showman you’ll get a JKD dork who will derail the thread insisting Bruce Lee shot fireballs out of his ass and would take any modern ufc heavyweight out with relative ease

Years ago, (and I mean a long time ago), Sherdog used to have an "Ask a Fighter' forum (Gary Goodridge and Bas Rutten were regulars in it). Jason Delucia actually would post there occasionally, and I do remember Delucia getting into a flame war with Bas. It was something to the effect of, Bas sayining he'd make Delucia piss blood again, and Delucia replying that he had been perfecting aikido for mma and it'd be different next time.
If you don't know your mma history, bas and delucia fought several times in Pancrase several times.
Have you even read this thread? The link to the Rutten / DeLucia conversation is literally on page 1.

They're wearing wrestling boots, because Pancrase was an MMA/pro-wrestling ogranization.
What does that have to do with my post about Ken Shamrock's trunks in UFC 3 you answered to?

Careful now, asking this question is like saying beetlejuices name three times except instead of a ghoulish showman you’ll get a JKD dork who will derail the thread insisting Bruce Lee shot fireballs out of his ass and would take any modern ufc heavyweight out with relative ease

Would also be a great opportnunity to claim that he literally invented the Shamrock / Gracie finish, with this screenshot as evidence.

1.jpg

<Dany07>

Last edited:
Back