Japanese ?

Let's be fair, they hardly were fighting DURING the tournament lol

I think a bigger point is that Danny should have joined the wrestling team. During the soccer scene, with absolutely no training he double legged and ground and pounded an opponent with years of karate until it was stopped (even if Cecil People's had it 29-28 for the karate guy).
LOL, never thought of it that way! :D
I'm a Karate guy myself but if I was Danny I'd indeed do wrestling for fighting and for multiple opponents I'd train track and field. :p

LOL, never thought of it that way! :D
I'm a Karate guy myself but if I was Danny I'd indeed do wrestling for fighting and for multiple opponents I'd train track and field. :p
Time to remake the movie as "The wrestling kid" starring Kurt Angle as the eccentric ex Olympic gold medalist turned hermit who teaches a lonely boy the joys of grinding his opponents into submission.

Wait that didn't come out right . . .

To answer a few of the questions:

My coach was a guy who's dad was kind of on the forefront of what most would look at and say "thats BJJ" in regards to JJJ. He taught it to his son (my coach) as a kid. Keep in mind, this guy came to me asking for help with wrestling; it wasnt like I was mystified by JJJ or martial arts. I was already a 2x All American in wrestling and won my fare share of fights. This dude had an MMA team and needed help teaching wrestling. Well, he arm barred the fuck out of me a few times and I started learning from him.

Practices were superior to most BJJ practices because he ran them like a wrestling practice or a real MMA practice. No stupid calesthenic warm ups, not a lot of seminar style technique teaching, we did conditioning for real, we went live a lot, and we were allowed to drill what we wanted a lot of times. If there were beginners in the class, which there were all the time, he would allow the experienced people leeway while he helped those who werent advanced.

There were some things I thought were stupid at first, such as bowing in and out, and if it was gi day, always turning your back to tie your belt, but compared to some bjj places, it was nothing. I have been to BJJ practices where you have to bow to a picture of Helio before and after class, you have to bow to every training partner, and you have to say OSS to leave class. This guy was far from some far east zen master when it came time for grappling. The guy had 15 pro fights or so.

Now, I will say this: When it came time for his other classes or his dojo, yeah, it was full on dragons and samurai swords and shit all over the place. You could buy nunchucks and no shit, that fucking claw glove thing from Enter the Dragon. Kanji everywhere and there was no lack of spinning jump kicks and ninja stars. I never pressed him on it, but my guess is he really played that shit up because it made him a ton of cash. But again, when it came down to grappling, all of that stuff went away because we went live so much, the blustery martial arts mysticism stuff would get tested in a hurry, and we all know how that goes.

Last edited:
Time to remake the movie as "The wrestling kid" starring Kurt Angle as the eccentric ex Olympic gold medalist turned hermit who teaches a lonely boy the joys of grinding his opponents into submission.

Wait that didn't come out right . . .
"The MMA Kid" starring Ken Shamrock as the wise old MMA master and Jon Jones as the troubled young apprentice. ;)

"Pill on. Pill off. Cycle, Jon-san!"

Rickson black belt Tony Pacenski studies and earned a black belt in a JJJ style under Michael Depasqual jr. Tony seemed to take it very seriously.

Last edited:
To answer a few of the questions:

My coach was a guy who's dad was kind of on the forefront of what most would look at and say "thats BJJ" in regards to JJJ. He taught it to his son (my coach) as a kid. Keep in mind, this guy came to me asking for help with wrestling; it wasnt like I was mystified by JJJ or martial arts. I was already a 2x All American in wrestling and won my fare share of fights. This dude had an MMA team and needed help teaching wrestling. Well, he arm barred the fuck out of me a few times and I started learning from him.

Practices were superior to most BJJ practices because he ran them like a wrestling practice or a real MMA practice. No stupid calesthenic warm ups, not a lot of seminar style technique teaching, we did conditioning for real, we went live a lot, and we were allowed to drill what we wanted a lot of times. If there were beginners in the class, which there were all the time, he would allow the experienced people leeway while he helped those who werent advanced.

What do you mean by conditioning for real rather than stupid warm ups?

Stupid calesthenic warm ups = push ups, sit ups, stretching to get ready to roll
Conditioning for real = 15 or so minutes at the end of practice of high intensity, all out conditioning like you would do at a college wrestling practice or a high level MMA practice.

Can you name drop? Does your coach still teach? Still have a gym? When you say what we would call BJJ, did he actually train in judo or BJJ?

Can you name drop? Does your coach still teach? Still have a gym? When you say what we would call BJJ, did he actually train in judo or BJJ?
I try not to say the coach's name online because there is some controversy about the guy. There were some Japanese cultural things that landed him in a ton of shit, and it really screwed him over. There are many things that fly in Japan that when a bunch of rednecks and townies come into contact with it, they kind of just freak out. He lost his gym and most of what he built up, and just trains now, helps others out, and lives a pretty anonymous life making money off of side businesses.

When I say what we would call BJJ now, I mean, if you were to go into this guys JJJ practice in 2003, It would look just like what you would see if you walked into the ADCC training camp or Mundials training camp at a place like Checkmat or Atos, just with a mix of good athletes and hobbyists.

As far as I know, he didnt train judo; his takedowns were dogshit, which is why he came to me. After awhile though, his takedowns got pretty good. He was very athletic, smart, and had absolutely incredible work ethic that he did not get credit for. This guy would run class from 12:00 in the afternoon until 9 pm, jumping in a lot of the classes, then would come to the college at about 10 pm, and put in a legit grappling practice with college wrestlers who were training MMA. The guy did compete sometimes in BJJ competitions, and did well.

I'm really curious, what sort of thing is allowed in Japan but not so cool in USA? Of course id understand if you'd rather not go into details

Stupid calesthenic warm ups = push ups, sit ups, stretching to get ready to roll
Conditioning for real = 15 or so minutes at the end of practice of high intensity, all out conditioning like you would do at a college wrestling practice or a high level MMA practice.

I wonder why would you call light warm ups stupid... Conditioning class is for the competition team, in a mostly hobbiest sport, light warm ups are good to avoid people getting injured

I try not to say the coach's name online because there is some controversy about the guy. There were some Japanese cultural things that landed him in a ton of shit, and it really screwed him over. There are many things that fly in Japan that when a bunch of rednecks and townies come into contact with it, they kind of just freak out. He lost his gym and most of what he built up, and just trains now, helps others out, and lives a pretty anonymous life making money off of side businesses.

When I say what we would call BJJ now, I mean, if you were to go into this guys JJJ practice in 2003, It would look just like what you would see if you walked into the ADCC training camp or Mundials training camp at a place like Checkmat or Atos, just with a mix of good athletes and hobbyists.

As far as I know, he didnt train judo; his takedowns were dogshit, which is why he came to me. After awhile though, his takedowns got pretty good. He was very athletic, smart, and had absolutely incredible work ethic that he did not get credit for. This guy would run class from 12:00 in the afternoon until 9 pm, jumping in a lot of the classes, then would come to the college at about 10 pm, and put in a legit grappling practice with college wrestlers who were training MMA. The guy did compete sometimes in BJJ competitions, and did well.

He sounds like an interesting fellow. Rednecks and townies lol

I can see what you mean. It just depends on what type of Jujutsu he was selling. Jujutsu that is not just a Judo ripoff (which there are many today) comes directly from the many Traditional Koryu Jujutsu that is still preserved in Japan. This is ultra traditional stuff and extremely hard to find. They are very strict about preserving the culture. Most of the. Require letters of introduction. Basically have to know somebody connected. They take it pretty seriously. If he was teaching something connected to one of the old Ryu, I suppose I could see somebody getting pissed off about it.

I wonder why would you call light warm ups stupid... Conditioning class is for the competition team, in a mostly hobbiest sport, light warm ups are good to avoid people getting injured
How many people have you witnessed getting injured when the coach is showing a move then they go out and try it? None. Most get injured during live, because they warm up, then cool down watching the instructor show technique and doing extremely low intensity drilling. In addition, doing calesthenics to get ready for BJJ is drastically less effective than just rolling light, and its a ton less boring.

My main point was that the JJJ practices I was involved in, were serious, effective, and much better than your average micky mouse class aimed at hobbyists or an average TMA class.

How many people have you witnessed getting injured when the coach is showing a move then they go out and try it? None. Most get injured during live, because they warm up, then cool down watching the instructor show technique and doing extremely low intensity drilling. In addition, doing calesthenics to get ready for BJJ is drastically less effective than just rolling light, and its a ton less boring.

My main point was that the JJJ practices I was involved in, were serious, effective, and much better than your average micky mouse class aimed at hobbyists or an average TMA class.

Im not disputing whether your jjj practice was good or not, im just curious on the warm up thing.

light warm up, doing calesthenics stuff and all its quite good to avoid getting injured, not every single class is warm ups, drilling rolling I got my back fucked up for not warming up shit and jumping straight up to rolling... light rolling may you say... that as a blue belt, wasnt that light... light rolling turning into mundials finals type of rolling is quite normal in lower belts, unless you only coach high belts, you will have noobs going nuts after a few secs of Light rolling...

not everyone is in the shape of an all american wrestler you know, and its your responsibility as a coach to note this and try to do things that will avoid getting people injured.

Im not disputing whether your jjj practice was good or not, im just curious on the warm up thing.

light warm up, doing calesthenics stuff and all its quite good to avoid getting injured, not every single class is warm ups, drilling rolling I got my back fucked up for not warming up shit and jumping straight up to rolling... light rolling may you say... that as a blue belt, wasnt that light... light rolling turning into mundials finals type of rolling is quite normal in lower belts, unless you only coach high belts, you will have noobs going nuts after a few secs of Light rolling...

not everyone is in the shape of an all american wrestler you know, and its your responsibility as a coach to note this and try to do things that will avoid getting people injured.
This is how I look at it, because I hear your argument constantly. I understand because it seems as if it is the most logical way to think.

If a blue belt is going too hard in rolling warm ups, thats the sign of an inefficient coach. If you cannot convey to a blue belt what is light and what is too hard, to me, that is highly ineffective communication as a coach. I practiced this way for 4 years in a gym that had a lot of members, a lot of classes. No one got hurt in warm ups, and not one was an All American. I have a team of 50 wrestlers, they warm up like this and again, not a single injury during the warm up, none are currently All Americans yet.

As a coach, it is also highly ineffective and not an efficient use of time, to warm up, then rest during technique, or do a warm up for light drilling. If you have people getting injured during technique, you are doing something wrong as a coach. If you are doing some seriously arduious inverted techniques, maybe. Warming up with calesthenics to drill arm bars, triangles, passes, and sweeps, to me this is a waste of time. No one is getting hurt drilling armbars because they are inadequately warmed up. Going live, yes. Hard drilling, yes. But most BJJ classes, you dont go straight into live or straight into hard drilling; you go into technique first. If it is something that most people can just walk in off the street and have no problem doing, (watching an armbar then drilling it), then why waste 20% of class time warming up for that?

I can say with 100% certainty, having a masters in human performance, and having coached and been an athlete for the last 25 years, the main reason why people do calesthenics for warm ups is because their coach's coach had them do calesthenics for warm ups.

PREACH Holt! I'm okay with things like tumbling and shrimping and breakfalls for warmups, but any time we let someone over 50 warm the class up they wanna spend 10 fuckin minutes doing pointless shit like static stretches and rolling out their knees.

This is how I look at it, because I hear your argument constantly. I understand because it seems as if it is the most logical way to think.

If a blue belt is going too hard in rolling warm ups, thats the sign of an inefficient coach. If you cannot convey to a blue belt what is light and what is too hard, to me, that is highly ineffective communication as a coach. I practiced this way for 4 years in a gym that had a lot of members, a lot of classes. No one got hurt in warm ups, and not one was an All American. I have a team of 50 wrestlers, they warm up like this and again, not a single injury during the warm up, none are currently All Americans yet.

As a coach, it is also highly ineffective and not an efficient use of time, to warm up, then rest during technique, or do a warm up for light drilling. If you have people getting injured during technique, you are doing something wrong as a coach. If you are doing some seriously arduious inverted techniques, maybe. Warming up with calesthenics to drill arm bars, triangles, passes, and sweeps, to me this is a waste of time. No one is getting hurt drilling armbars because they are inadequately warmed up. Going live, yes. Hard drilling, yes. But most BJJ classes, you dont go straight into live or straight into hard drilling; you go into technique first. If it is something that most people can just walk in off the street and have no problem doing, (watching an armbar then drilling it), then why waste 20% of class time warming up for that?

I can say with 100% certainty, having a masters in human performance, and having coached and been an athlete for the last 25 years, the main reason why people do calesthenics for warm ups is because their coach's coach had them do calesthenics for warm ups.

I was a blue belt, and I got injured, big white belts light rolling dont exist my friend (just to use an example more specific), its not the norm... even in small classes, where the coach can be looking out for their students, all it takes is one explosive movement, and you get injured. I agree with you that warming up while doing technique or light drilling is the ideal, hell thats what I do, 30 jumping jacks 20 hip escapes, 20 sits and off to drilling.

I just dont agree with your point on light rolling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back