Japanese ?

biggino

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it here and what they thinl of it? Curiosity got the best of me and also my bjj peers saying nothing is ever done live thats why watered down, yet i youtube their tournamentd and they seem like a mma match even with strikes and grappling. does anyone know the rules of a japan jujitsu tournament? thanks in advance

"Japanese ju jitsu" is not a single art or organization. There are dozens of styles, flavors, instructors, and tournament rules (if that style even has tournaments at all). You'll have to be more specific.

"Japanese ju jitsu" is not a single art or organization. There are dozens of styles, flavors, instructors, and tournament rules (if that style even has tournaments at all). You'll have to be more specific.

This poster is right. Near the end point of the Meiji Restoration, circa 1890, there were more than 100 Jiu-Jitsu schools in Japan. Some focused more on striking, some grappling, some throwing. Kano himself came from two schools of Jiu-Jitsu, one that focused on off balancing and breaking balance an opponent and another that focused on throwing.

Honestly, Jiu-Jitsu is more Japanese than karate. Karate was Okinawan and learned from China from nobles. Jiu-Jitsu has mainland Japan roots back before the 2nd century BCE.

But most people, not you guys, knowledge of Japanese martial arts is as deep as the mythical and cheesy 80s karate movies.

Karate got huge in the 70's. HUGE. Say what you will about the cheesiness of it all, but I'm of the mind that shit like Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles, and Power Rangers had a HUGE impact on the GenX/Millennial pursuit of martial arts.

My first instructor was a JJJ black belt. Honestly, most of the practices were far superior to any BJJ or nogi practices I have done since. This guy also taught karate and all that other bullshit and it was watered down, but when it came time for JJJ, it was no gimmicks, nothing flashy, just good solid technique that I still use to this day as a BJJ blackbelt.

Karate got huge in the 70's. HUGE. Say what you will about the cheesiness of it all, but I'm of the mind that shit like Karate Kid, Ninja Turtles, and Power Rangers had a HUGE impact on the GenX/Millennial pursuit of martial arts.

And JCVD

My first instructor was a JJJ black belt. Honestly, most of the practices were far superior to any BJJ or nogi practices I have done since. This guy also taught karate and all that other bullshit and it was watered down, but when it came time for JJJ, it was no gimmicks, nothing flashy, just good solid technique that I still use to this day as a BJJ blackbelt.

I have also encountered some very Judo influenced styles of JJJ. The ones that use the gi are very Judo influenced. Just out of curiosity, which styke of JJJ? Who was your instructor?

I have also encountered some very Judo influenced styles of JJJ. The ones that use the gi are very Judo influenced. Just out of curiosity, which styke of JJJ? Who was your instructor?
Goshin Jujitsu schools in the U.S. and U. K. are doing live NeWaza Randori. It's not at the level of BJJ, but they're going full resistance and testing their techniques.

On a similar note; how does World JuJitsu Federation (WJJF) style Japanese jujitsu compare with others? Seems to involve a great deal of striking resembling that of karate. The WJJF seems to be one of the biggest governing bodies of JJJ in the UK and surrounding countries, does it retain any of the legitimacy of the JJJ discussed above?

On a similar note; how does World JuJitsu Federation (WJJF) style Japanese jujitsu compare with others? Seems to involve a great deal of striking resembling that of karate. The WJJF seems to be one of the biggest governing bodies of JJJ in the UK and surrounding countries, does it retain any of the legitimacy of the JJJ discussed above?
It's a mashup of modern styles without any direct link to koryu. From what I've seen in the UK their training is mostly terrible and Robert Clark, who founded it, was a thief and fraud.

I actually think the Karate Kid had a very negative influence on martial arts in America. Why? Because it perpetuated the myth that you got good not by lots of repetition and sparring, but that you got good by, basically, mysticism. Great movie, terrible depiction of actual martial arts training; but never the less it defined for many people what martial arts and martial arts training should be like.

I actually think the Karate Kid had a very negative influence on martial arts in America. Why? Because it perpetuated the myth that you got good not by lots of repetition and sparring, but that you got good by, basically, mysticism. Great movie, terrible depiction of actual martial arts training; but never the less it defined for many people what martial arts and martial arts training should be like.

I could use a hand clap for my joints right now. Yeah, I'm not sure if Danny sparred ONE time before his tournament.

it perpetuated the myth that you got good not by lots of repetition and sparring, but that you got good by, basically, mysticism.
Interesting, I got completely opposite impression from that movie. :) The kid worked hard to repair the house, built right muscles and techniques, and there was nothing 'mystic', just boring hard labor.

Interesting, I got completely opposite impression from that movie. :) The kid worked hard to repair the house, built right muscles and techniques, and there was nothing 'mystic', just boring hard labor.

He literally never sparred before winning the tournament. That's my beef. Not once. And those punch defenses suck.

He literally never sparred before winning the tournament.
The movie does not show him sparring, but I do not remember them making point that sparring is shit and not needed. Maybe I just do not remember, it's been a while :)

I could use a hand clap for my joints right now. Yeah, I'm not sure if Danny sparred ONE time before his tournament.

He got his ass whooped by Cobra Kai before he started training...we could count that :)

Plus, let's not forget he should've been DQed for that kick.

defined for many people what martial arts and martial arts training should be like.

vlcsnap-2015-08-24-17h15m28s3.png

@Dirty Holt - I'd be interested in hearing more about that JJJ teacher.

I've been to two JJJ schools. My first martial art as a kid was Shotokan Karate. There was a school down the street from us that did JJJ. The instructors were good friends so we took frequent field trips to each other's schools. I was introduced to throws at that dojo as well as the concept of groundwork. I was a kid so what the hell did I know, but they always won pretty much all the local tournaments at every level. They must have been doing something right.

The second place I visited while on vacation in a town that had no BJJ. I was a blue belt at the time (I think I had just gotten it too). I called ahead and they let me do a "drop in" but it came with all manner of lectures about empty cups and leaving what I thought I knew at the door. I also mentioned that I had a blue belt and asked if that was a problem. They said no, not at all just make it clear that you're from another art. When I got there, they acted very offended and gave me a white belt. No big deal.

Our first "move" of the night was a RNC. Everyone "entered" the choke with this really odd circular motion of the hands before applying it (applying it way incorrectly I might add). I asked what that was about and was told (in a surprisingly condescending tone) that you needed to execute that motion to ... wait for it ... GET AROUND YOUR OPPONENT'S SAMURAI HELMET. Then the instructor talked about "real warriors" and "real martial artists" and how "some people come from non-warrior arts" etc etc.

Then he split us up for sparring. He placed me with the white belts. There were a lot of unhappy white belts after that. lol

So yeah ... they're not all equal and will vary wildly in terms of quality.

He literally never sparred before winning the tournament. That's my beef. Not once. And those punch defenses suck.

Let's be fair, they hardly were fighting DURING the tournament lol

I think a bigger point is that Danny should have joined the wrestling team. During the soccer scene, with absolutely no training he double legged and ground and pounded an opponent with years of karate until it was stopped (even if Cecil People's had it 29-28 for the karate guy).

Back