Japan needs migrants badly

I directly quoted your posts and you made a statement at the end that US is the ideal model. It's not the best, just different.

That was in response to the notion that Japan's culturally homogeneous society is a better model than that of the United States. I believe the last 100 years has proven that definitively false. That very ethnocentricity that Japan displays manifested itself within the last century in the form of state sanctioned rape, genocide, and unspeakable violence against ethnic minorities or those deemed genetically inferior. Go read about the atrocities committed during the 20th century by the Japanese against the Chinese.

I believe that the United States' model of diversity and controlled immigration is a better model than that of Japan. I say that unabashedly and without hesitation. I believe that the United States is the brightest spot on this planet, and a bulk of our success as a nation has come on the backs of the immigrants that we've welcomed into our country over the last 150 years.

The world is over populated. That's the problem. A slow down in population isn't going to kill anything, this just sounds like big business freaking out that they can't get bigger.

the old malthusian mental tic

http://www.businessinsider.com/japan-fertility-crisis-2017-4
"
The daily constraints have made for a worrisome trend. Japan has entered a vicious cycle of low fertility and low spending that has led to trillions in lost GDP and a population decline of 1 million people, all within just the past five years. If left unabated, experts forecast severe economic downturn and a breakdown in the fabric of social life.

Mary Brinton, a Harvard sociologist, tells Business Insider that the situation will get only worse until Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and his cabinet get with the times. Of the ongoing crisis, she says, "This is death to the family.""

They are losing millions in population and trillions of dollars. Husband and wife working 16 hours a day. There's no snoo snoo time.

The only solution I see is for Japan to stop being racist and accept some migrants or see their old bigot ways go extinct. Acceptance or extinction? Your choice!! Thoughts?

96e6295.gif

It may be simply that the reality of the very real need for the cultural adjustment to support their relative legacy of homogeneity hasn't forced enough pressure upon their corporate culture to trigger active shifts in priority.

Japanese can be rather fatalistic but I doubt the national will is there to simply allow themselves to dwindle away so eventually they will have to take pragmatic measures to deal with the issue. They will either open themselves to further cultural integration, up their numbers and keep their corporate industrial machine moving forward as usual or they will turn further inward and focus on social engineering to deal with the problem. Japan can be rather pragmatic on some things. Depends on where they believe their greater duty lays.

I'm less sure on the "dwindle away" component based on the stories we're seeing about "herbivore" men (someone else linked it) and the guys who simply never leave their houses. My brother was telling me about a documentary that profiled some people in country and it seems that this isn't just about a lack of time, there appears to be some deeper pushback against the culture itself that's driving men to check out and simply "dwindle away" for lack of a better term. I don't know that nationalism is strong enough to counter that if nationalism is part of the culture that they're pushing back against (not saying it definitively is).

There is no desire for women to have more than 1 or 2 children on average. Whatever economic policy you implement or how much you encourage it.

The fact remains that given the economic choice and free choice women on average don't like to have more than 1 or 2 children.
This is what you get when you not only make it nearly unfeasible but impractical to have a one income household. This is what you get when there is a concerted and long standing effort to damn near stigmatize the idea of motherhood as being possible of providing fulfillment or as a career in itself because it doesn't further a feminist goal. This is what you get when socially acceptable ages for eventual motherhood are pushed further and further back, This is what you get when you allow and even encourage the idea that stable two parent households are in the main unnecessary for a well balanced society.

Women turn away from the notion of motherhood or delay it because society has by an large encouraged them to, or at the very at the very least delay it for longer and longer periods.

This is poor standards. The Gulf countries treat foreign workers like cattle.

Also, there is no industry in Japan like the oil industry, where thousands of workers can be brought in buses and parked in some shithole next to an oil field.

Also, on topic, neo liberal economists are always quick to cry about "lost GDP". But opportunity cost (which is a subjective notion) does not mean cost.

Good points.

I'd add that Qatar's tiny population of 2.5 million pose far different problems and needs compared to Japan's 120 million.

well, if K-north goes down Japan will find itself with a bit of a humanitarian fright on its hands

I've briefly read stories about how young Japanese men are less interested in woman and sex these days. But it would be interesting see or watch an in depth study about what's happening there?

I suspect a small part of issue has to do with the overpopulation of their cities. Though I may be wrong. There's something unsettling in living in a densely packed big city and not really knowing anyone at the same time (outside of work). I did it briefly in a downtown Denver apartment (about 12 months)... And I didn't really like it. I'm more a small town guy though.

You're deluged with thousands of people everyday and hardly ever see a familiar face... just more strangers. Somehow lonely while surrounded by tons of people. Maybe you see a few people daily, like the girl serving Coffee or a guy at the burrito place (Illegal Pete's). But they see so many people daily, you're sure they don't even recognize you.

I lived a small town in Utah for several years and my circle of friends grew there more than any big city I've lived in. I'd see and hang out with them everywhere. The grocery store, restaurants, softball games, etc.... Always stopping and saying hello for a few minutes. It was pretty cool.

Got a little of track there...

This is what you get when you allow and even encourage the idea that stable two parent households are in the main unnecessary for a well balanced society.

I would disagree with the above as to Japan though. There's nothing to suggest that they've moved against the idea of 2 parent households.

This is what you get when you not only make it nearly unfeasible but impractical to have a one income household. This is what you get when there is a concerted and long standing effort to damn near stigmatize the idea of motherhood as being possible of providing fulfillment or as a career in itself because it doesn't further a feminist goal. This is what you get when socially acceptable ages for eventual motherhood are pushed further and further back, This is what you get when you allow and even encourage the idea that stable two parent households are in the main unnecessary for a well balanced society.

Women turn away from the notion of motherhood or delay it because society has by an large encouraged them to, or at the very at the very least delay it for longer and longer periods.

No, what you don't understand is that women simply know that they can be a much better mom to only one or two children compared to 5 or 6.
A mother only has 24 hours a day. That is why they choose to spend those 24 hours towards giving their attention to 1 or 2 is better compared to of 5 or 6.

You have to remember being a mother is most important job in the Reich. And free women have decided on average the best way to apply their time is to have 1 or 2 children.

I believe that the United States' model of diversity and controlled immigration is a better model than that of Japan. I say that unabashedly and without hesitation. .
It WAS. At this point, its sort of a free for all. We used to bring in people who wanted to achieve but people don't want to achieve anymore, they want to receive.

I'd trade our system for Japan's in a second considering the era.

You're an idiot, it has nothing to do with these made up reasons and everything to do with their inverted demographic pyramid. At some point there are going to be more adult diapers sold in Japan than baby diapers, its probably already the case in many specific locations within the country. Their population is aging rapidly and they're not anywhere close to replacement levels of fertility so they need a younger, working age population to support all the elderly. Policies designed to help boost fertility are sorely needed but those will take time to bear fruit, in the meantime migrants would help.

Or idk, maybe they could cull the elderly. Maybe you'd prefer that to them letting in migrants
They probably would (deep down)rather cull the elderly than have selective vetted immigration

No, what you don't understand is that women simply know that they can be a much better mom to only one or two children compared to 5 or 6.
A mother only has 24 hours a day. That is why they choose to spend those 24 hours towards giving their attention to 1 or 2 is better compared to of 5 or 6.

You have to remember being a mother is most important job in the Reich. And free women have decided on average the best way to apply their time is to have 1 or 2 children.
Families with more than one or two children also generally used to incorporate older children in assisting with the younger. Not to say that's exactly a better option than simply having less children but it did also lead to tighter family cohesion in general because the family all contributed in their fashion to the success of the whole. Don't get me wrong, it has it's downside but it also allowed children moving into young adulthood to acquire familial skills as well. How to manager younger siblings as well as how to run a home as they took on a share of the chores.

It certainly wasn't perfect, but not nearly as individually stifling or horrible as many a modern feminist might want you to believe. I can only base that on conversations with much older family and extended family that came from large families. They found both good and bad in the arrangement but generally seemed satisfied.

It's also one of the reasons 3rd world families generally have much tighter bonds than 1st worlders. Not only are they more familiar with living within extended generational groups, but also dealing with each other in a closer interdependent relationship on a day to day basis.

the japanese, and most westerners, are too individualistic to raise children and start families. i don't see this trend changing anytime soon.

An overpopulated country is getting less overpopulated, we should celebrate this.

Why do we need such high populations? Sure, overall GDP might fall, but if GDP per capita (the actual important factor for determining standard of living) remains the same or even goes up, then that's good.

Overpopulation is the root of all evil!

Their future sexbots will take of that problem

It's actually studied. When the odds of children reaching maturity is high, parents choose fewer children but apply more resources to their growth. When the odds are low, parents have more children since they expect some to die before reaching reproductive age.

There's usually a midpoint where the odds of reaching maturity have increased but the parents haven't transitioned mentally to the fewer offspring model. Tends to take a generation or so. It's also why despite the high birth rates in many low developing nations, every population model anticipates the birth rates to drop as standards of living increase and child mortality rates drop.

Japan is interesting, not just because their birth rates have dropped, but because it seems to have come with a breakdown in the personal engagement as well. Replaced by this bifurcation of uber-workaholics and complete social dropouts.

In other places where you see the drop in birth rate, you still have men and women who are socially engaged with each other, even if they're not necessarily marrying and reproducing.

It WAS. At this point, its sort of a free for all. We used to bring in people who wanted to achieve but people don't want to achieve anymore, they want to receive.

I'd trade our system for Japan's in a second considering the era.

I'm willing to bet there are no studies to back this claim up.

Back