James Toney how will history remember him?

PIMPIN AINT EZY

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hopefully this weekends fight being his last,how will he be remembered? Incredibly in 92 fights 77-10-3-2 47kos he was never kod or stopped in a fight.He was 1 of the top fighters throughout 1990-2005 fighting up until now aged 47.I think as great as he was,he was a fighter I believe could have been even better if he fully committed himself.

Fantastic fighter, amazing defense and chin, but as you said, not as committed as he could have been. Went up too far in weight and hung around too long.

Hopefully this weekends fight being his last,how will he be remembered? Incredibly in 92 fights 77-10-3-2 47kos he was never kod or stopped in a fight.He was 1 of the top fighters throughout 1990-2005 fighting up until now aged 47.I think as great as he was,he was a fighter I believe could have been even better if he fully committed himself.
I agree 100%. He accomplished so much but wasted a lot of his talent. He was a born throw back fighter though. He earned his spot in the HOF.

Fantastic fighter, amazing defense and chin, but as you said, not as committed as he could have been. Went up too far in weight and hung around too long.
Aside from just being fat I don't think he went up too much since he beat some pretty good HW's. He could have accomplished a lot more at LHW or at least have had a bigger rivalry with Jones during the time he was at his most lax. I thought he redeemed himself a lot while he was in shape during his CW title run.

Fair point, although heavyweight wasn't where he was at his best.

Toney will be remembered improperly by casuals because he stayed active too long, particularly the UFC debacle comes up when I mention James Toney in conversation (I get so mad), but anyone with a whiff of boxing fandom in them knows of his reputation, have watched his fights, seen the way he carried himself inside the ring regardless of how he carried himself outside the ring with bad habits, and he definitely took meaningful fights while he could, we really got to see Toney in with a lot of dangerous names...

10-20 yrs from now Toney will be remembered for being a defensive wizard, a warrior, and extremely durable.

He'll be viewed as lucky since his career came before the deluge of the White Exotics.

He only got s sip of the WE with Jirov.

I could watch him take apart Holyfield all day.

Defensive wizard,super slick counter puncher (one of my favorites is I think the end of round 1 or 2 in the 1st Peter fight he nails him and it turns peters face red!) Hilarious shit talker!

I agree 100%. He accomplished so much but wasted a lot of his talent. He was a born throw back fighter though. He earned his spot in the HOF.

But that was Toney. He could have held some lower weight classes for a long time. or you can see him clown HW as a MW.

Excellent wins. Went at it with ATGs. Amazing skills and chin. Dangerous all the way from MW to HW.

Legend.

Last edited:
Aside from just being fat I don't think he went up too much since he beat some pretty good HW's. He could have accomplished a lot more at LHW or at least have had a bigger rivalry with Jones during the time he was at his most lax. I thought he redeemed himself a lot while he was in shape during his CW title run.
The way he dismantled Holyfield was scary. Not concentrating on whether Evo should have been fighting, he came to bang and Lights Out looked outstanding. Will be much more respected long after he's out of the game.

Top 3 defensive fighter p4p in history.
Only Money and Willie Pep are
Comparable.

Great fighter that hung around long enough for it to become absolutely depressing to see his name on a bill

One of the most slick boxers ever! I always liked him too.
He can be hilarious! I am still laughing with him calling the Klitschkos "the Blitschko Sisters". haha

Take your meds and try again.
Give a counter arguments instead of asking me every time to support with my own examples, which u end up agreeing with.
Sorry, sun, but not everybody is on meds like u. It's not the norm.

Give a counter arguments instead of asking me every time to support with my own examples, which u end up agreeing with.
Sorry, sun, but not everybody is on meds like u. It's not the norm.
James Toney is a great defensive fighter, top 3 isn't where he lands

Back