James Cameron's 'Story of Science Fiction' (2018) on AMC - I'm looking forward to this!

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is gonna be good! It's gonna be James Cameron talking with Spielberg, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, Ridley Scott, Arnold, Will Smith...all kinds of people. I'm a huge Cameron fan and I've always wanted to see him sit and talk with Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Nolan and other great directors. Looks like he's finally gonna do that.

AMC Teaming With James Cameron On Docu-Series About The History Of Sci-Fi

AMC announced today the greenlighting of a documentary series-look into the history of science fiction, from one of the most influential figures of the genre. James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction sees the legendary filmmaker behind The Terminator, Aliens, and Avatar exploring the evolution of science fiction from its cult beginnings in pulp to the engine for blockbuster film and television success it is today.

Comprised of six one-hour episodes, James Cameron’s Story of Science Fiction will debut on AMC in 2018. Each episode will see Cameron introducing one of the “Big Questions” humanity has grappled with through history, delving into Science Fiction’s past to look at how the genre’s films, TV shows, books, and video games were born, and where the genre, and humanity, might be headed. Throughout, Cameron and his contemporaries debate the merits, meanings, and impacts of the films and novels that influenced them.

“When I was a kid, I basically read any book with a spaceship on the cover and I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey many, many times,”
said Cameron in announcing the series. “The movie inspired me to become a filmmaker. I liked the special effects, but I really loved the ideas and the questions behind them: How will the world end? Will technology destroy us? What does it mean to be human? These are subjects sci-fi has never been afraid to tackle.”

“With this series, we are going back to the origins of sci-fi, following the DNA of these ideas back to the source. Without Jules Verne and H.G. Wells there wouldn’t have been Ray Bradbury or Robert A. Heinlein, and without them, there wouldn’t be Lucas, Spielberg, Ridley Scott or me. As a filmmaker who specializes in science fiction, I’m interested in exploring the struggles and the triumphs that brought these incredible stories to life and seeing how art imitates life, as well as how science fiction imitates and sometimes informs science.”

images

Last edited:
Also, imo Cameron is a superior director to everybody else on that list. The only person that MIGHT usurp him would be Chris Nolan. But it's too soon to tell. But imo Cameron's > Spielberg and Scott, and I can't bring myself to even include George Lucas in that discussion.

Will watch

Christopher Nolan is way overrated though
Inception was the biggest horseshit ever and I hated his first Batman

I'm looking forward to when online articles will use "comprise" correctly. And to that point, "complementary" as well. I DO NOT want to think about what they're not teaching you kids at school. DO NOT.

Will watch

Christopher Nolan is way overrated though
Inception was the biggest horseshit ever and I hated his first Batman

Inception fell flat imo. It was a great idea and had it's moments, but mainly I just don't think Leo Dicaprio was right for that role. He dragged the whole film down. Imagine what a more interesting actor would've done with that role. Think of John Cusack in that role, for example. Plus, as cool as that rotating hallway scene was, and it WAS cool as shit, Inception shouldn't have been an action heist flick. I think it should've been a lot more cerebral, because the concept is really cool. But how many times have we seen a group of people rob somebody of something? It's overdone.

But you're fucking flat out WRONG on the first Batman, bud. That was an outstanding movie and superior to The Dark Knight, imo.

Last edited:
Inception fell flat imo. It was a great idea and had it's moments, but mainly I just don't think Leo Dicaprio was right for that role. He dragged the whole film down. Imagine what a more interesting actor would've done with that role. Think of John Cusack in that role, for example. Plus, as cool as that rotating hallway scene was, and it WAS cool as shit, Inception should've have been an action heist flick. Should've been way more cerebral.

But you're fucking flat out WRONG on the first Batman, bud. That was an outstanding movie and superior to The Dark Knight, imo.
Well I didnt really care about The Dark Knight after seeing that first abomination so you'll get no argument there

My main problem with Inception was it was supposed to be some big mind bending thriller mystery but the fuckin guy spent at least 30 minutes of the film explaining and re-explaining and then explaining some more and oh one more time after that so it was impossible to get lost in it because he painted you a damn road map
I admit I watched it after hearing everyone praise it all summer so my expectations were pretty high
When I finally saw it I spent half the movie just sitting there wondering how fuckin stupid are the people that were saying they were confused while watching it so that may add to my negativity towards it

Back