Jake LaMotta dies at the age of 96

Jake Lamotta was still alive?! I had no idea. That is incredibly old for a guy who was in some tough fights.

Yeah same, I didn't realise he was still about. To make it to 96 after a career as the raging bull is pretty good. RIP a proper warrior

I met Lamotta at the 2013 Boxing Hall of Fame weekend. My crew and I were at Graziano's Restaurant with other fans and boxers who showed up. Lamotta came in with his wife and went right to the bar and ordered a Bud Light. I spoke with him briefly because he couldn't hear well. As a fan it was one of the best memories I had of that weekend. Here was the guy who fought Robinson 6 times talking to me! He posed for a few pics and we clinked beer bottles and I left him alone. 92 years old then.

RIP champ. Thanks for the memories....

"I never went down, Ray......"

I googled him last week to see if he was still alive. I was happy to see he was and thought it would be cool if he made it to be 100

I killed Jake LoMatta

: (

What a run. Rough life. He really got screwed by the mob in his prime years. Had to fight the types of guys nobody wants to fight while trying to stay relevant.

Stayed coherent to the end too. No visible signs of mental decay. That's the way to go.

What a run. Rough life. He really got screwed by the mob in his prime years. Had to fight the types of guys nobody wants to fight while trying to stay relevant.

Stayed coherent to the end too. No visible signs of mental decay. That's the way to go.
compared to other fighters of his day, he quit early, and…as he was always eager to mention, he didn't take as much punishment as it appeared. Highly intelligent man, interesting life, like many of the great talents of the sport, a total outcast in his prime.

compared to other fighters of his day, he quit early, and…as he was always eager to mention, he didn't take as much punishment as it appeared. Highly intelligent man, interesting life, like many of the great talents of the sport, a total outcast in his prime.

He took some beatings, but I think those times overshadow the fact that he was really good at riding and curbing the force of the blow coming at him. I think for his style as a high energy fighter, he quit about when his body couldn't keep up the work rate anymore. Maybe paid off in the long run as it meant less damage, like you said.

Pressure fighters always get downgraded when people appraise their boxing ability; they get oversimplified as brawlers, but nobody could get hit as much as people think LaMotta was hit.

I met Lamotta at the 2013 Boxing Hall of Fame weekend. My crew and I were at Graziano's Restaurant with other fans and boxers who showed up. Lamotta came in with his wife and went right to the bar and ordered a Bud Light. I spoke with him briefly because he couldn't hear well. As a fan it was one of the best memories I had of that weekend. Here was the guy who fought Robinson 6 times talking to me! He posed for a few pics and we clinked beer bottles and I left him alone. 92 years old then.

RIP champ. Thanks for the memories....

"I never went down, Ray......"

Nice to hear that even at 92 he still had his wits about him.

He took some beatings, but I think those times overshadow the fact that he was really good at riding and curbing the force of the blow coming at him. I think for his style as a high energy fighter, he quit about when his body couldn't keep up the work rate anymore. Maybe paid off in the long run as it meant less damage, like you said.

Pressure fighters always get downgraded when people appraise their boxing ability; they get oversimplified as brawlers, but nobody could get hit as much as people think LaMotta was hit.
he described it like a catcher in baseball catching a pitchers fastball, at the moment of impact they know how to go with it. Relaxation is another big factor, in fact they say he was snookered for the last robinson fight, drunk that means for you youngun's. very relaxed indeed.

Nice to hear that even at 92 he still had his wits about him.
there was an interview with him a few years ago, the writer was a scumbag with an agenda, he used the oppurtunity to delve into lamotta's supposed rapes that he wrote of in his book and exploited him for a scoop. I don't know if lamotta raped anyone, i know people say anything to sell a fucking book. Joe Louis said he choked lena horne, when lena heard about that, she said "it's a shame what he has to do" and denied it.

Back