Jake Ellenberger reflects on knockout loss, says won’t ‘waste time disrespecting’ Mike Perry

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“It’s tough,” he told MMA Fighting. “I was having a conversation with a good friend of mine a couple of nights ago, and it was like, man, I’ve fought some really good guys. And I’ve come up short, or had a tough fight. For me, this fight, this was probably the best I’ve ever felt. Like pre-fight, warm-up, everything was on. I felt great. Because I’ve had fights where I wasn’t warmed up, or I didn’t feel good, or the first round came too quick.

“In the first round, I even felt good. I was like, let’s get this in the second round, let’s get it to the third, because I knew as the fight went on I could start to explore my transitions, more takedowns, that sort of thing. But it’s one of those things where you wake up and you’re like, fuuuck. It’s definitely a hard pill to swallow.”

“Win or lose, whether you get your hand raised or not, the sun rises the next morning,” Ellenberger said. “It’s really not as different as you think. People play so much into that, that egocentric kind of build-up — and I mean, it’s an egocentric sport, and I understand it — you can’t pay too much attention to it one way or the other. It’s like playing a very volatile market. You put your life savings in how you feel man, you’re going to wake up very disappointed.”

“That was a big thing too, even with my family and just everyone, where they’re saying it’s just scary [to see],” he said. “But yeah, I feel fine. I went to the hospital and got checked out and got a PT scan, got checked out. I mean, trust me, it’s one of those things where you’ve got to ask the hard questions. But everything looked good, everything looked fine. There was nothing that he was worried about. And of course that was my biggest concern, health and stuff. But there was nothing serious.”

“I’m a mature guy, emotionally mature as well,” he said. “I don’t pay any attention [to what he says]. This sport, that’s the beauty of this sport. The better guy does not always win. That’s the reality. I’ve beaten some really good guys. I’ve got wins over guys I probably shouldn’t have. I have over 50 fights. And just a guy like that…it’s hard because there’s no reason for me to waste my time disrespecting him. He did his job. It is what it is. It’s a hard pill that I have to swallow.

“But for him to make dumb and idiotic comments, it’s like bro — you’ve made some bad decisions in the past. Let’s not become somebody who should speak for when another fighter should be done. That’s in the past.”

“I do [plan on going on],” he said. “I think at the end of the day, everyone’s their own person and they’ve got to decide when they’re done. And I’m not dumb. I know what time it is. I know it’s getting closer to the end of my career. I’m not 22 anymore. I know that time is coming closer, but it’s definitely not it. I would definitely like to finish on a high note.

“I had a buddy ask, ‘do you wake up with that fire,’ and I go, man I can’t even articulate how much fire I have inside of me. The [Nashville] doctor told me we can’t work out, and we can’t get our blood pressure high, we’ve got to give it a week or two — and it’s hard man. I can’t even describe the fire inside of me. I love it. I love competing. I do know my time is limited, but I would not say this is the end yet.”

“I don’t really pay that much attention to [calls for my retirement],” he said. “I mean, before the fight, after the fight, I tune it all out. It’s crazy how bad people will turn their back on you. It’s like, one minute you’re the best, you’re the man. The next, you’re done. It’s such a fair weather sport. It’s more comical than anything. It doesn’t bother me, and I don’t take it personal. People show you their colors. It’s a fake fan sport, I feel like.

“But towards [that retirement stuff], I’ve seen guys go through some hell for sure, but come on.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/2...says-wont-waste-time-disrespecting-mike-perry

Glad to see he's doing alright. People think just because nothing shows up on the CTscan everything is squeaky clean. Jake got knocked dead in brutal fashion. I hope he takes some time off and either goes to Bellator or just wins a few more fights against bums then call it a career.

I just saw he has 2 wins in his last 9 fights. Jesus.

Bad enough to get knocked out in the name of God.

But to get knocked out in the name of god by a fucking weirdo like Perry is just...

<{boneytears}>

It isn't just Mike Perry, a lot of fans also wondered whether he'd retire after this. If he doesn't want to, good for him, Mike Perry isn't stopping him and merely gave his opinion.

Keeping it 100, I believe he can go out on a high note. He looked good, that elbow could of KO'd almost any WW which is why it's a candidate for KO of the Year. MMA is a sport where you can't get complacent for a second

NLeRlaE.gif

Had to.

WhichGoldenAnkolewatusi-size_restricted.gif

Also, the better guy doesn't always win ie GSP/Serra or Cain/JDS. Not saying Perry isn't better, just food for thought

Not only a brutal force, but a wisdom has flowed through that elbow.
Ab44DXX.jpg

Respect for Jake, but it had to be done, the sacrifice for the greater good

Jake's at 2-7 over the last 4 years, 4 of those losses being bad KOs, just got knocked out cold by a regional circuit level fighter, has fought for 12 years, over 40 fights, and isn't considering retirement? By all means, I'll pay to see him get knocked out, but he's clearly not thinking straight and trying to find a way to make the most out of his final stretch.

He may have that fire but his body is not up to it anymore. There is no shame in hanging it up & using that fire to do something else.

Keeping it 100, I believe he can go out on a high note. He looked good, that elbow could of KO'd almost any WW which is why it's a candidate for KO of the Year. MMA is a sport where you can't get complacent for a second
That elbow would have KO'd anybody

Ref did a great job of coming in from out of the picture to make sure Jake didn't take any more unnecessary brain damage.

Perry didn't seem to go for any additional damage either. Props to both I guess.

He may have that fire but his body is not up to it anymore. There is no shame in hanging it up & using that fire to do something else.

I've heard him co-host a radio show or podcast. His voice is too deep and monotone.

Jake sounds sensible here but he's rationalizing. All you have to do is look at his record. He's 2-7 in his last 9 fights and he hasn't won back to back fights in 3 years. Matt Brown was also tuning him up till he caught Brown with that liver kick. That was his hail Mary win. Jake's been KO'd or TKO'd 5 times in that span of fights.

That elbow would have KO'd anybody

Probably, but maybe not DC. lol He passed the Rumble test so his chin is certified steel.

No doubt, Perry is beast. You need a smart game plan against him.

Back