Jacobs: I'd Fight Saunders in UK, But He Never Even Mentions Me

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) is interested and would even travel to England to challenge Saunders (24-0, 12 KOs) in his home country. The former WBA middleweight champion from Brooklyn isn’t convinced that would appeal to the unbeaten WBO middleweight champion. “If the opportunity comes up where I can fight Saunders, obviously that’s something that I would love to do,” Jacobs told BoxingScene.com.

“I would even travel over to where he is. That’s how confident I am that I can beat B.J. But he has shown no interest. He has never even been verbal about fighting me. He’s never even mentioned any of my fights in interviews. It’s surprising to me. It’s as if he doesn’t even know I exist. And to see these different things, it’s not looking good for me and him [to fight] because I don’t know if he takes me serious or not.” Saunders had hoped to challenge Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) on June 10 in Golovkin’s native Kazakhstan.

Frank Warren, Saunders’ promoter, and Tom Loeffler, who represents Golovkin for K2 Promotions, engaged in negotiations for that bout. Golovkin-Saunders was scrapped largely because negotiations intensified for the Golovkin-Canelo Alvarez fight and Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter, didn’t want Golovkin to fight again before facing Alvarez on September 16. Golovkin’s handlers also acknowledged that following a taxing, 12-round fight against Jacobs on March 18, squeezing in another bout between boxing Jacobs and Alvarez wasn’t something Golovkin would do. Saunders instead is expected to face Georgia’s Avtandil Khurtsidze (32-2-2, 22 KOs) on July 8 in London.

Khurtsidze, the mandatory challenger for Saunders’ title, stopped England’s Tommy Langford (18-1, 6 KOs) in the fifth round April 22 in Leicester, England, to win the interim WBO middleweight title. Jacobs had hoped that if Alvarez-Golovkin didn’t materialize Golovkin would’ve considered giving him a rematch following their highly competitive fight March 18 at Madison Square Garden. Regardless, he hopes to return to the ring sometime in September. Jacobs will root for Khurtsidze to knock off Saunders because they’re stablemates and share the same manager, Keith Connolly.

If Saunders wins, however, Jacobs wants the brash British southpaw to fight him. “He talks a lot of smack,” Jacobs said. “And he’s one of those comical characters in the sport of boxing that throughout the history we have and we entertain and we love. But it’s getting to the point now where it’s too corny. It’s not time for fun and games anymore. Let’s get to the real deal. Are you gonna further your career and fight the best? Or are you gonna play with it? What are you trying to do?” - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/jacobs-i...even-mentions-me--116505#sthash.U5iaQcaR.dpuf

Saunders is too busy ducking and fighting no names. He's a shame to his fighting stock background.

Saunders is too busy ducking and fighting no names. He's a shame to his fighting stock background.

He's had 1 defence so I think your statement is a bit premature, especially when there are guys like wilder still fighting no names after multiple defences. He's got a fairly dangerous mandatory which I think he wins comfortably, then we'll see who he decides to fight after that. I'll reserve my judgement for then.

I hope he gets this fight Jacobs deserves big fights... I doubt Saunders takes it though

I like it hopefully the movers and shakers can get this done ✅

Jacobs gets charged with manslaughter if they fight.

Good chance Saunders doesn't make it past Khurtsidze.

BJS wants no part of Jacobs.

Good chance Saunders doesn't make it past Khurtsidze.

There is a very good chance he gets knocked out if he turns up out of shape like his last fight. Otherwise I'd expect him to win on points.

Yeah it depends on how good of shape Saunders shows up in. It will be a tough fight either way though. He could win a decision but it's very dangerous for him. I'm cheering for Khurtsidze personally. If he wins I expect him to look for bigger fights whereas Saunders you never know what he's going to do next.

Jacobs is starting to sound an awful lot like Erislandy Lara. All this will do is galvanize his existing fans while other boxing fans will be repulsed by it. He says Canelo won't fight him; he says GGG won't fight him - again (just did, neither side had a rematch clause...); he says BJS won't fight him. What about the other guys? Get back to work and keep winning. Jacobs just needs to keep showing up, putting on good fight, and let his work do the talking at this point. He's got the ability. Nobody is going to respond favourably to what some may simplify as simple whining at this point.

Jacobs is starting to sound an awful lot like Erislandy Lara. All this will do is galvanize his existing fans while other boxing fans will be repulsed by it. He says Canelo won't fight him; he says GGG won't fight him - again (just did, neither side had a rematch clause...); he says BJS won't fight him. What about the other guys? Get back to work and keep winning. Jacobs just needs to keep showing up, putting on good fight, and let his work do the talking at this point. He's got the ability. Nobody is going to respond favourably to what some may simplify as simple whining at this point.

He wants big fights as his last couple at his current weight or he's moving up iirc, I don't blame him. His last fight was a great performance by him. He should have gotten tbe nod in my opinion.

Keeping his mouth shut is what gets him garbage fights like Sergio Mora times two. Speaking up and getting both writers and fans talking about who should be fighting him is probably his best chance at actually getting meaningful fights. Only reason he got GGG was because he had a belt. Now he doesn't so no one is going to be forced into the ring with him. In a perfect world destroying Kid Chocolate and going 12 rounds of life and death with GGG would have opponents lining up to take him on but this is boxing. The better he looks the harder it is to get great fights. No one wants to lose anymore and they choose their fights accordingly.

Keeping his mouth shut is what gets him garbage fights like Sergio Mora times two. Speaking up and getting both writers and fans talking about who should be fighting him is probably his best chance at actually getting meaningful fights. Only reason he got GGG was because he had a belt. Now he doesn't so no one is going to be forced into the ring with him. In a perfect world destroying Kid Chocolate and going 12 rounds of life and death with GGG would have opponents lining up to take him on but this is boxing. The better he looks the harder it is to get great fights. No one wants to lose anymore and they choose their fights accordingly.
That is true only if he backs up his words with performances in the ring, otherwise he is just discrediting his opponent. The fact is that everyone who saw the fight knows that Danny is a great boxer regardless of whether he won or lost, he should start being gracious as he said he would be in the immediate aftermath of the decision and move on to fighting the next highest contenders like Lemieux or Eubank. If Danny was saying things like, 'it could have gone either way' or 'I should have started more aggressively', I could respect that opinion, but saying that GGG lost by at least 3 rounds is total rubbish and does come across as whining.

But people were already talking after the GGG fight and considering all the other great matches out there. Nobody was sitting idly next to a tree thinking, "Gee, all this complaining from Jacobs really makes me think he should be fighting this guy or that guy." Right after his loss I was thinking, man this guy should be fighting ____, ______, and ______ based on how he fought (not on how he talked). I agree, he might be too good for some guys to want to fight, but talking about how he feels robbed and how other people are ducking him isn't going to change anything. They'll just be annoyed that he would infer such things and blow him off even more. At least...that's a distinct possibility. I just don't see this playing out in a favourable way for him.

He wants big fights as his last couple at his current weight or he's moving up iirc, I don't blame him. His last fight was a great performance by him. He should have gotten tbe nod in my opinion.

I think everyone on this forum has had their two cents contributed on who they thought won so I won't rehash that argument. Truthfully though, for such a huge MW, maybe he moves up and sees how he does at SMW. There are opportunities there. Maybe he just moves up for the money fights like Duran had to. That might be his option other than complaining at this point. Though I'd love to see him destroy Charlo. It would be easy work.

I think everyone on this forum has had their two cents contributed on who they thought won so I won't rehash that argument. Truthfully though, for such a huge MW, maybe he moves up and sees how he does at SMW. There are opportunities there. Maybe he just moves up for the money fights like Duran had to. That might be his option other than complaining at this point. Though I'd love to see him destroy Charlo. It would be easy work.

I would like to see him at SMW too, tbh. But once he goes up, he might not want to go back down. He might not want to hang around too much longer cutting down to MW for Lemeiux or Charlo, but it wou ld be fun seeing him battle Lemeiux or eat Charlo

He's chasing after anyone at MW with anything resembling a name. What else do you want him to do?

He's chasing after anyone at MW with anything resembling a name. What else do you want him to do?

Who says I don't want him to do that? Who says this? Let's clarify, then.

I hope he gets those fights. I hope so because he is fun to watch and can be in exciting fights. That matters to me. Where'd all that whining get a guy like Lara though, and countless others? Yuri frickin Foreman, that's where. I say keep training, keep fighting, but keep whining in this manner and he'll soon find it won't change anything.

That's all.

Who says I don't want him to do that? Who says this? Let's clarify, then.

I hope he gets those fights. I hope so because he is fun to watch and can be in exciting fights. That matters to me. Where'd all that whining get a guy like Lara though, and countless others? Yuri frickin Foreman, that's where. I say keep training, keep fighting, but keep whining in this manner and he'll soon find it won't change anything.

That's all.
while this is true, lara did get the biggest fight when he got into canelo's face during a press conference.

being a badass doesn't always land you fights, and while i agree that talking shit might not either, sometimes it just does. danny has been a really good fighter for quite some time now, he's somewhat in the spotlight for pushing GGG to the limit, he's getting plenty of interviews... of course he's going to be calling guys out.

i just hope he doesn't actually end up like lara. they both deserve big fights, and soon.

Back