Jacked up fingers and ukemi

liuk3

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
My fingers are jacked up fingers from judo, jiu jitsu, and rock climbing. I had it looked at decades ago in my 20's, and the doctor said that it is premature arthritis and nothing I can really do about. It's the stereotypical internet pic with the distal and proximal finger joints all swelled up, sore, and sensitive.

Anyway, my issue is that I can't really effectively ukemi (break fall) anymore because the act of slapping my hands on the mat causes a lot of pain in the already sore fingers. Anyone else have this issue or experience? What to do about it? In the meantime, I've just been sucking it up, but I figured I would ask if anyone had any advice. Thanks.

Just ball your hand, make a fist, not a big deal. The idea that the hand touching the ground lessens the impact is false anyways, it just helps you land with good form.

Fist...Started doing that on my right side after distal bicep tendon reattachment surgery.

Some sort of weird self preservation habit...

Just ball your hand, make a fist, not a big deal. The idea that the hand touching the ground lessens the impact is false anyways, it just helps you land with good form.

Wow. Never thought of that. So no need to slap the ground? I wish I talked to you a decade ago. LOL. Thank you!!!

I often do the fist too. I've been unfortunate to have a few finger injuries, which affect my work, but I'm stupid/stubborn enough to keep going back.

I should also add that my fingers are so jacked up that I also can't make a tight fist with my hands (knuckles are so swollen that they don't bend all the way). I assume that doesn't matter for the ukemi.

Back