Jacare Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum Added to UFC 224 in Brazil (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Is Weidman ducking Jacare? This was the obvious fight to make.

I thought the #1 Contender was Romero, now?

Why are they saying this is a #1 Contender bout lol?

I think Kelvin will take it and actually make it look easy.

Jacare only seems to beat washed up fighters and cans these days. Last good win was Mousasi in 2014.
Holy fuck you have to be kidding?!?!

This. Hopefully he wants more time to recover from his injury and he's not ducking Jacare.

As for this fight, no clue who'll win. Jacare isn't as big or as good a wrestler like Weidman, but he's defensively sound so Gastelum won't be able KO him with ease like Bisping. Gameplanning and fight IQ will determine the winner.
The notion that Weidman would duck Jacare is pretty laughable. Dude was campaigning to fight Jones on short notice back in the day, and has fought mostly top guys his whole UFC career.

I would think Jacare by sub similar to the weidman-gastelum fight. kelvin winning would be more interesting for the division. will be interesting who the odds say as favorite

#1 contender for the winner of Whittaker-Romero i think
Whittaker is about to go on that Cain streak of two guys in Jacare-Romero-Romero-Jacare. And he's been out for a year with injuries too.

I kid haha.

I agree, really good fight. My head says Jacare but I'll be pulling for Kelvin. He has so much potential.

Jacare by Muay Thai followed by takedown and choke

Whittaker is about to go on that Cain streak of two guys in Jacare-Romero-Romero-Jacare. And he's been out for a year with injuries too.

I kid haha.
Yeah at least one of these 2 is not Bigfoot, if he does that these 4 wins will be as impressive as it gets

Oh mannnn good fight! Gonna have to go with Kelvin with the "upset" though.

Early in the fight, Jacare will drop and won't get up.

Tough match-up... Winner is definitely in the drivers seat for a title shot. Going with Jacare.... Think his experience and skills get him pasted Gastelum. But it should have been The Chris fighting... don't complain about a shot at the belt now.

I got Jacare. I was actually surprised Weidman beat Kelvin but shows that Kelvin ain't on par with the elite 185. It's even a stretch to say Weidman is elite anymore.

Nice one. Interesting fight. Kev’s gotta treat that mat like HOT LAVA!

Jacare doesn't have the wrestling Weidman has.

Kelvin's TDD has also most likely drastically improved since the Weidman fight.

Kelvin Gastelum via TKO

giphy.gif

you cant just assume his TDD is drastically improved.
From what we know, he's very very susceptible to the single leg. Its been shown against Magny and Weidman. He gives up his back when he tries to get back up which you deffinitely dont want to do with Jaracre. The threat of the takedown could possibly affect Gastelums striking.

Souza by sub or Kelvin by KO round 1 imo.

Purely off age,speed and boxing I like Kelvin here, but for some reason I don't think his boxing will fold Jacare fast enough. I see Jacare getting this to the mat, either getting the choke, or going to decision. I think kelvin wont get tko'd on the mat only way he gets tkod is if he gets caught with a kick. I also think at this current time Jacare has more to fight for, I don't think Kelvin will have as much as a "must win attitude" as Jacare will. Just nervous taking Jacare because he is so old now.

Back