Jacare Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum Added to UFC 224 in Brazil (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Great fucking fight. I think Jacare takes it via superior grappling but taking Gastelum down wont be that easy.

Is this a joke? Either Jacare or Romero shoulda got a shot when they ended up fighting each other in what should have been a draw. Hendo got a title shot on a 3-6 run and GSP got a shot having never fought in the weight class off a multi year layoff. You don't think Jacare deserved a shot around 2015? or even after the close loss to Romero?

View attachment 344861

No I don't. You are one of many that has bought into the "Jacare should have got a title shot ages ago" myth.

Camozzi x 2
Boestch
What's left of Vitor
Carmont
Brunson

Okami was an ok win, not really that good in hindsight.

And a stylistically favorable match up in Mousasi is his best and only good win. That is one good win in 8 UFC fights. Only 2 that are worth anything at all.

And then losses littered amongst those unimpressive wins.

Mousasi wasn't top 5 when he beat him and that's his best win by far. His striking is extremely limited and not elite and cardio post USADA isn't elite, his wrestling isn't elite.

He has beaten nobody because he is not as elite as Sherdog has said. 2 wins into the UFC and people were throwing fits that he wasn't getting a title shot.

Jacare only seems to beat washed up fighters and cans these days. Last good win was Mousasi in 2014.

He dropped a controversial split decision to Romero, arguably one of the best middleweights of all time, and lost to Whittaker, who is undefeated and literally beaten everyone.

He just casually put away Brunson like he was fighting a 5th grader.

How high are your standards when losing two fights in the last 7 years is a bad run?

I can see this fight going like the Whitaker fight for Jacare. Get it down on the ground ASAP

Jacare doesn't have the wrestling Weidman has.

Kelvin's TDD has also most likely drastically improved since the Weidman fight.

Kelvin Gastelum via TKO

giphy.gif

I'm not saying you're wrong but how do you know this? He's fought Bisping since his loss to weirdman very quick KO no wrestling displayed and that was only 8 months ago.

Really, really good fight. I'm taking Jacare by Sub within 2 rounds. A win here should get him a title shot.

UFC 224 now includes:

Amanda Nunes vs. Raquel Pennington (Rumored)
Jacare Souza vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Lyoto Machida vs. Vitor Belfort
Cezar Ferreira vs. Karl Roberson
Alexey Oleynik vs. Junior Albini
Alberto Mina vs. Ramazan Emeev
Davi Ramos vs. Nick Hein

Fight's pretty good and makes sense. I'm going with the young gun in Gastelum. His striking is pretty solid but he'll have to avoid the take downs early. Think he can. Really like the fight though and the winner could easily be in for the next title shot after Romero.

Also really like Oleynik v. Albini. Should be a weird fight.

No I don't. You are one of many that has bought into the "Jacare should have got a title shot ages ago" myth.

Camozzi x 2
Boestch
What's left of Vitor
Carmont
Brunson

Okami was an ok win, not really that good in hindsight.

And a stylistically favorable match up in Mousasi is his best and only good win. That is one good win in 8 UFC fights. Only 2 that are worth anything at all.

And then losses littered amongst those unimpressive wins.

Mousasi wasn't top 5 when he beat him and that's his best win by far. His striking is extremely limited and not elite and cardio post USADA isn't elite, his wrestling isn't elite.

He has beaten nobody because he is not as elite as Sherdog has said. 2 wins into the UFC and people were throwing fits that he wasn't getting a title shot.

I just don't see other MW contenders who have done more than Jacare. His losses during the run I linked were decisions to Rockhold (title fight) and Romero (#1 contender, incredibly close fight) and since then he's been KOd by Whitaker. The shell of Vitor fight was 2 fights after Vitor fought for the belt. The 2nd Camozzi fight was a late replacement. The names on the list aren't all greats but he was finishing guys he should have finished. I think if Jacare wins this fight and Romero beats Whitaker he should get the rematch since their first fight was so close. If Whitaker wins I don't think Jacare should get that shot.

Anyway, good matchup. Slight edge to Jacare IMO.

Great match. WAR SOUZA

Nice. I see Gastelum putting dem hands on Jacare.

Gastelum, round 2, TKO

Gastelums a WAY better striker and he has a decent chance of KOing Jacare early but his TDD and groundgame is pretty useless as shown by the weidman fight. Jacare by RNC round 2.

Back