Jacare Souza: I have no problem retiring if I don’t get title shot

I don't really see the appeal in Bisping fighting a welterweight who has been retired for years. Should we see if Penn can come out of retirement to fight the champ next?

The whole "make your own push" formula should stay in sports entertainment where it belongs. There's no reason that guys who have won fights and done well shouldn't be given a title shot. That is how a sports organization is supposed to function.

They did it for Penn considering Penn level, they always give him good fights when he tries a comeback. GSP had a stellar career so his comeback should be something big.

Not the biggest fan of this fight either, but they needed a big fight for GSP's return and when you look at it, it was pretty much the only fight available. You don't promote a big fight like that with a guy already booked to fight (like Woodley)

I'm not talking about making your own push, it's just that a title fight is very tough to come about, there's timing, the champions will to fight more than 2 fights a year, injuries, other contenders who are doing well... If you only focus on that title shot and always whine about having that fight or stay benched until you get that fight is counter-productive.

If you stay active and make yourself in a position where you can headline or co-main a card even if it's not a championship fight it's something huge too. And when the circumstances will be good you're gonna be the first to be called for that title shot.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/2...e-middleweight-title-shot-retirement-mma-news

I’m happy to be fighting. But I have no problem stopping fighting,” Jacare said during a media scrum in Rio de Janeiro (via MMA Fighting). “I stopped competing in Jiu-Jitsu in 2005 when I was at the top of my career, and if I think it’s too much for me, that I’m full of it, I can stop fighting. That’s it. I can open my own gym, make as much money as I make fighting, and be happy. I have this dream of having my own gym, so I have no problem stopping fighting.”

"No, it doesn’t go through my mind to stop fighting, but if I get full of it, I can stop fighting,” he continued. "I can teach. I have this leverage. And I’m sure, I’ll have a lot of students. Do the math, 400 students training with me."

This is just really sad.

Regardless of who wins, I just can't see GSP or Bisping calling out Romero or Jacare. Those monsters are the most nightmarish matchups for either one

How many fights does he have left on his contract? I'm sure there are plenty of cans for him to smash in Bellator.

Oh how we miss the condom depot logo's on the back of fighter shorts...

And while he is at it, perhaps he could learn some english to assist the UFC in marketing him to the casual fans... Even Big Nog finally learned some english.

That's true.

But the narrative some folk are saying, that he willingly avoided the top contenders is not true. The UFC/Dana can't physically make him fight anyone, but the people saying Bisping asked for the Henderson fight is daft.

The fight was a waste of time with Henderson as he was retiring and on account of who he'd fought prior to it being made. Henderson had nothing to lose going into that fight, too, considering it was his last one and he nearly KO'd him.

He did what most fighters do after they win a fight; took time off, did some media as the fight was held in England and then had his knee operated on. He'd be crazy to turn down the GSP fight. Any fighter who says they'd turn it down are outright lying.

Yeah, I get how the circumstances played a role and didn't blame him too much for taking the Henderson fight. Doing two consecutive defenses against non-contenders while legitimate contenders pile up looks bad though.

Yeah, I get how the circumstances played a role and didn't blame him too much for taking the Henderson fight. Doing two consecutive defenses against non-contenders while legitimate contenders pile up looks bad though.

Ah, he'd be crazy to turn down the GSP fight. GSP won't fight Romero or Souza I reckon if he wins, but you'd think that'd leave it open to Romero v Souza II for the belt.

There's only one clear fighter next in line and that's Romero with Souza behind him. Can debate how their fight went, but the history books show Romero won that one. Rockhold seems to have gone off doing modelling and the winner of Weidman or Mousasi might fight Souza in the mean time. We'll have to wait and see.

What's going on in this division is fucking disgraceful.

It's finally happened though, Jacare starting to think about retirement instead of keeping on waiting. Well done UFC, you got what you wanted.

Back