Jacare should have won that fight vs Gastellum.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ananth, May 16, 2018.

1. Flokk

Flokk Faux Belt

The UFC shat the bed with HW. It just stopped caring outside of Randy and Bork. All the middling talent hit the bricks while the rest just kept aging. Putting up even a little effort to promote Stipe-Ngannou is the most the UFC has done lately.

It's also hard to find skilled big guys just because there are fewer big guys. But yah, it's fucked. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together is enticed by fucking Reebok money.

The UFC's own model is what keeps it fringe and chills real talent. HW is just the most obvious example. But if you poke into any division you'll see the same shit.

rjmbrd likes this.
  2. LukeSkyrocker

LukeSkyrocker Green Belt

Jacare was 1/11 on takedowns, gastelum wins on this stat alone. What was the fight metric stats for striking ?

3. markys00

markys00 Black Belt

Yet he beat jacare

4. moogie101

moogie101 Green Belt

I had it Kelvin by a round but figured with it being in Brazil that might sway the very close third round towards Souza. Could have gone either way or a draw & been hard to complain but Kelvin was coming forwards more & Jacare was fading which I think might have decided the fight.

5. tjumper78

tjumper78 Brown Belt

im just shocked that the american got the decision win in a close fight in brazil.

6. mahavishnunj

mahavishnunj Blue Belt

There should NEVER be a split decision. That shit is as dumb as weight cutting. If round 3 ends without a clear winner, you do another round. Easy solution.

7. Pilo

Pilo Orange Belt

As much as I am a fan of Jacare and would have wanted him to win, I agree with the judges' decision. Round 1 was not a 10-8...Gastelum got tooled on the ground for a while, but Jacare took a bad decision and went all in with an armbar when he clearly did not have enough space (goddamn cage wall) to fully extend and get that the leverage he needed. It sort of stalled there, with Gastelum not really in danger and hanging on. Then Gastelum ended the round on top.

Round 2 was all Gastelum, dropped and almost finished a totally gassed out Jacare. To me this was as close to a 10-8 as the first round was (although I thought that was a 10-9 too).

And while the third round might have been a toss up, Gastelum looked fresher, probably landed more shots (they both landed good ones). Close fight. Was impressed by Gastelum's composure, disappointed with Jacare's cardio and fight IQ.

Swarthy likes this.
  8. Beerus

Beerus Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Swarthy likes this.
  9. SilvaStud

SilvaStud Blue Belt

While you’re not wrong that jacare was landing more frequently, kelvin was landing harder and jacare was being backed up the whole time. Out of the two of them jacare was the one that was more worried about being finished and was closer to being finished. The means the kelvin was in control, and that if it had gone further jacare would have gone down eventually.

10. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo 風 林 火 山

No man as I am Jacarre fan but that fight he really got busted up so sad. Maybe if he had better cardio he could have mauled that Gastelam guy.

Swarthy likes this.
  11. Ananth

Ananth Purple Belt

Bruh, please see the second round again if possible. Jacare was landing the better shots before the knock down. Jacare was backing up and looked tired, but was landing whenever he surged. there was a minute and a half where he got knocked down and was surviving, but Jacare was blasting him with hard shots in the last minute of the 2nd round. 3-4 hard left hooks landed - Gastellum has a god like chin.Similar shots rocked Mousasi.

Its Kelvin's round, but no way can you score that a 10-8.

12. Smok3r

Smok3r Silverback Belt Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

I wouldn't have been shocked had Jacare gotten the nod. KG really needs to work on his boxing guard/head movement.

13. OrigFan255

OrigFan255 Black Belt

Jacare fans are the BIGGEST crybabies!

The damn fight was in his home country and the Brazilian judges STILL thought their homegrown boy lost.

I hear the same crap about the Yoel decision.

Swarthy likes this.
  14. Ananth

Ananth Purple Belt

I am no Jacare fan. If you want to know, my fav MW is Mousasi.

Judges gave more appreciation to reactions than actual damage. I just felt the decision was wrong.

15. OrigFan255

OrigFan255 Black Belt

Become a judge.

16. kflo

kflo Gold Belt

You haven’t addressed how they were able to get old fighters who are good but not younger ones. Has pay gotten worse?

And again, the ufc could cut their roster in half. Those guys would then be in the minors and few would notice. Just because they expanded their roster over the years doesn’t make everyone worthy of top pay. They’re not. There’s financial reward for the top but you have to put in years to get there. Not just sign up. Not just make the prelims.

Again Floyd makes more money than any athlete but it doesn’t mean everyone is lining up at boxing gyms. It’s a long slog to get good. Just like it is to become a baseball player. Or basketball player. Or hockey players. Or soccer player. You seem to want to hand out fat checks for guys to sign up to fight.

17. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Silver Belt

There are so many misguided thoughts here its too much to unpack. I'll start simply with Barnett.

DC wrestled 184lbs as a 5th year senior in college. He was a fat - literally fat - heavyweight, with only 9 career fights in MMA, when he casually RAN OVER Josh with complete impunity.

DC is now old, but as a young man he was an elite athlete, runner up All American out of OSU and two time Olympian. He could smash a world class veteran like Josh because the athleticism gap between them is cartoonish.

There are literally thousands of guys like DC that can smash Josh, they aren't interested in MMA because the pay is so bad. We crown 8 other All American heavyweights in Division I NCAA each year. They don't enter MMA because the pay sucks.

18. Squall10

Squall10 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Outside of Yoel Romero, who would you argue as an elite athlete?

19. Squall10

Squall10 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

Greg Hardy will save it.

Flokk likes this.
  20. CrimsonFan

CrimsonFan Silver Belt

Being completely honest i knew the result before i watched.

I scored it for Jacare. Kinda crazy 2 judges gave Kelvin round 3.

I like Kelvin and he clearly has alot more upside than a 40 year old Jacare. So its all good.. But that was a very questionable decision. Fights like that need to be draws.

How does a guy who gets taken down twice in a round get the nod? Striking was close

Round 1 was domination. Thats just not a good decision

Ananth likes this.