Jab highlights for studying

UnderRatedGroundGame

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Anyone got a decent highlight of jabs being used effectively as main weapon. I'd prefer it to be in an MMA setting but the only decent jab in MMA that I know of is gsp. Looking to study the fighter for techniques and such.

Thanks

Anyone got a decent highlight of jabs being used effectively as main weapon. I'd prefer it to be in an MMA setting but the only decent jab in MMA that I know of is gsp. Looking to study the fighter for techniques and such.

Thanks

Mousasi

Am I the only one that sees a feint instead of a broken tempo in the first example for Golovkin? Just curious...

Am I the only one that sees a feint instead of a broken tempo in the first example for Golovkin? Just curious...

Yeah he throws mid tempo, feints causing jacobs to react, then jabs again.

Yeah he throws mid tempo, feints causing jacobs to react, then jabs again.

You mean that the first jab is in mid tempo? I'm having a hard time seeing the broken tempo in that combo... I just see a jab, feint, jab...
If you could elaborate a bit more? I am missing something here...

They dont show much but you see how he settles into his footing for half a second before reaching out with the jab? That was the half tempo.

@ctrlaltdelete

I understand what you say, but i cant really see it...
I see a tempo of 4 movements: A front step in jab, a front step in to close the distance, feint without a step, then a hop jab... But to me, those 4 moves are setting the tempo of the attack, but I cannot see a break in it.
If you mean that he changes gears between the pressure, and the start of the attack, then ok, i can see that, but for me that's not really breaking the tempo... Every fighter has a different pressure tempo, and a different attack tempo. You cannot pressure at the same speed you attack. (not sure I am clear on what a mean)

I'm not saying that you're wrong, it's just something I don't see...

Thats ok man, even if you don't agree or see the first 10 seconds of the video's point, the rest is still informative.

besides, @ARIZE you don't need this stuff you got a handle on it anyway. Hopefully some of it is useful to the OP

My only good punches are my one and two, I have to wonder if that is all you really need in mma?

My only good punches are my one and two, I have to wonder if that is all you really need in mma?
You should perfect it, and not just in power and speed, but tactically. Footwork is a huge proprietor here. Learning to "springboard" your 1,2 off your kick or knee is crazy useful. And it shocks people how explosive or fast you can explode after a strike that's supposed to be a bit slower traditionally on the recovery. That's to say you should have other tools, the threat of the others will make the 1,2 viable.

Its basically my best tools as well outside of clinching. Funny thing is, it got pretty good because I'd usually injure my legs or shoulder, so when after class when I still wanted to practice, it was just the 1,2 on the bag. I knew I've gotten better at it, but didn't realize how good it got just from doing that day in day out for a couple of years.

You should perfect it, and not just in power and speed, but tactically. Footwork is a huge proprietor here. Learning to "springboard" your 1,2 off your kick or knee is crazy useful. And it shocks people how explosive or fast you can explode after a strike that's supposed to be a bit slower traditionally on the recovery. That's to say you should have other tools, the threat of the others will make the 1,2 viable.

Its basically my best tools as well outside of clinching. Funny thing is, it got pretty good because I'd usually injure my legs or shoulder, so when after class when I still wanted to practice, it was just the 1,2 on the bag. I knew I've gotten better at it, but didn't realize how good it got just from doing that day in day out for a couple of years.
are you talking about setting up punches off your kicks and knees? I've seen Robert Whittaker do that really well. It seems most people do the reverse.

are you talking about setting up punches off your kicks and knees? I've seen Robert Whittaker do that really well. It seems most people do the reverse.
Yeah, I usually like it after a body kick. When I retract my leg back, soon as the foot touches the mat, I sit into it for a very brief moment, a fraction of a second, and springboard back pushing off. I end up able to explode my 1,2 and the weight transfer goes right into it. The cons to this, is that it does take a bit more of my tank than if I were to break it into steps.

Yeah, I usually like it after a body kick. When I retract my leg back, soon as the foot touches the mat, I sit into it for a very brief moment, a fraction of a second, and springboard back pushing off. I end up able to explode my 1,2 and the weight transfer goes right into it. The cons to this, is that it does take a bit more of my tank than if I were to break it into steps.
damn bro I would like to see how you pull that off. Punching off of kicks is very karate and I don't see many guys who pull that off other than bobby knuckles or wonderboy.

damn bro I would like to see how you pull that off. Punching off of kicks is very karate and I don't see many guys who pull that off other than bobby knuckles or wonderboy.
I use it off a 1,2,3,kick,1,2. Or 1,kick,1,2. Use your opponent's body to "push" your kick off once it connects, its like a rebound to get your leg back faster.

I drill this combo a lot and it helps with punching after kicks quite a bit I find. Though the combo is a little long I definitely use pieces of it in sparring

I drill this combo a lot and it helps with punching after kicks quite a bit I find. Though the combo is a little long I definitely use pieces of it in sparring

setting up kicks with punches is easy as hell. the opposite is hard as shit .

Back