Locked THE BATMAN (Rumor: Movie Delayed as Script Rewritten from Scratch; Matt Reeves is the New Director)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: March 15, 2017

THE BATMAN Delayed as the Script is Reportedly Rewritten from Scratch

Batman-v-Superman-Bat-Armor-031517-Dragonlord.png

There are two ways to look at all of the noise surrounding The Batman, Ben Affleck‘s upcoming solo adventure as the Caped Crusader. One narrative is that Warner Bros. has no idea what to do with their DC comic book properties. The other is that The Batman is hitting speed bumps because everyone involved is actively working to get this one right and want to avoid disappointing fans who were let down by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad.

It has already been reported that The Batman will be delayed due to director Matt Reeves‘ pre-existing commitments to another project. Now, /Film are hearing that the film is being completely rewritten from scratch.

That first piece of news comes our way via Variety’s Justin Kroll, who took to Twitter to report that Reeves is working on War For the Planet of the Apes until the end of June, confirming earlier reports from Mark Hughes at Forbes and Sean Gerber of the Batman News podcast. That means The Batman won’t even begin production until 2018 at the earliest, which means that the rumored 2018 release date is impossible.

Kroll also warned that Reeves won’t even meet with any actors until the summer, so outside of Ben Affleck himself, no casting rumors that pop up between now and then will carry much weight.

According to sources close to the production, the screenplay for The Batman is being rewritten from the ground up, so it’s entirely possible that everything we’ve heard about the film’s story will no longer be in play.

The original screenplay for The Batman was supposedly in flux last month, when it was initially reported that the studio was eyeing a “fresh start.” A day later, it was reported that everyone was happy with the latest draft. Affleck, Chris Terrio, and DC Comics writer and CCO Geoff Johns were among those who worked the first version of the screenplay, which reportedly featured Batman facing off against Deathstroke.

At this rate, a 2019 release for The Batman sounds about right. However, the more important thing is that Reeves and Affleck aim to make a great movie, not hit a release date.

‘The Batman’ Production Delayed Until 2018 as the Script is Rewritten From Scratch

Update: March 14, 2017

Ben Affleck Reveals He Recently Completed Rehab for Alcohol Addiction

Ben-Affleck-Bar-031417-Dragonlord.png

Ben Affleck revealed, in a Facebook post on Tuesday, that he recently completed a stint in rehab for alcohol addiction.

“I have completed treatment for alcohol addiction; something I’ve dealt with in the past and will continue to confront,” he wrote on Facebook. Affleck checked himself into rehab in 2001 as well.

“I want to live life to the fullest and be the best father I can be. I want my kids to know there is no shame in getting help when you need it, and to be a source of strength for anyone out there who needs help but is afraid to take the first step,” he continued. “I’m lucky to have the love of my family and friends, including my co-parent, Jen, who has supported me and cared for our kids as I’ve done the work I set out to do. This was the first of many steps being taken towards a positive recovery.”

In the Facebook post, Affleck said he’s “lucky to have the love of … co-parent, Jen.” He and wife Jennifer Garner separated in 2015, but have not formally divorced yet. The two have three children together: two daughters and one son. Affleck recently exited as director of the Batman standalone film, but will still star in and produce the highly-anticipated superhero tentpole. Matt Reeves has since taken over directing duties.

Affleck’s last directorial effort, the gangster pic Live by Night, flopped, leaving Warner Bros. — the studio behind the period film — with a $75 million loss.

Syfy also recently canceled the sci-fi thriller Incorporated, which Affleck executive produced with longtime friend and business partner Matt Damon and Jennifer Todd.

Before he dons the cape and cowl in The Batman, the actor will next play the Dark Knight in Justice League, which hits theaters on Nov. 17.

Ben Affleck Says He Recently Completed Rehab Stint for Alcohol Addiction

Update: February 23, 2017

It's Official: Matt Reeves to Direct and Produce THE BATMAN

ma1xYTp.jpg

After Ben Affleck dropped out as director of The Batman a couple of weeks ago, it was said that Matt Reeves would step in and take his place. Reeves later backed away, and the search was on once again.

Today, Warner Bros. has reported that Reeves will, in fact, helm the upcoming Ben Affleck film. The press release from WB noted that he would direct and produce the film.

This is Reeves' statement:

“I have loved the Batman story since I was a child. He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen,” said Reeves.

Reeves' latest film War For The Planet Of The Apes is hitting theaters this summer. The director previously helmed the films Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Let Me In, and Cloverfield.

Warner Bros. Announces Matt Reeves is the Director for The Batman

To read the Comments section, click here.

Update: February 17, 2017

THE BATMAN Negotiations Break Down with Director Matt Reeves

Lq23FBH.jpg

A week after entering negotiations to direct The Batman, Matt Reeves has exited the talks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

A studio source confirms that negotiations have broken down. The possibility, however, exists that talks could resume when heads cool. The studio is intent on making the movie no matter what as the Batman franchise has proven to bigger than one person.

Reeves is currently deep in post-production on the Apes sequel, War for the Planet of the Apes, which is shaping up to be the biggest entry in the Fox franchise.

Ben Affleck was set to helm the superhero feature but ultimately decided not to pull double-duty as both director and Dark Knight. Affleck co-wrote the script with DC Films co-head Geoff Johns.

Prior to Reeves receiving the offer, Ridley Scott and Don't Breathe helmer Fede Alvarez were among the names being floated for the director's chair.

The Batman is the latest DC/Warner Bros. project to undergo a director shuffle. The Flash standalone has gone through directors, including Seth Grahame-Smith and Rick Famuyiwa.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ations-break-down-director-matt-reeves-977266

Update: February 13, 2017

Ben Affleck Reportedly Doesn't Want to Play BATMAN Anymore

Ben-Affleck-Doesnt-Want-to-Play-Batman-Anymore-Dragonlord.jpg

A month ago, while promoting his passion project Live by Night — which he directed, wrote, produced, and starred in — on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Ben Affleck confirmed that he would be directing The Batman, his first standalone film as the Caped Crusader.

However, after Live by Night bombed at the box office — causing a $75 million loss for Warner Bros. — Affleck reportedly experienced a crisis of confidence, questioning whether or not he could simultaneously direct and star in a big-budget superhero movie.

In the end, Affleck chose to step down as director of The Batman. And according to recent reports, Matt Reeves, the talented director behind Cloverfield (2008) and Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014),will take the helm.

While many of us had hoped that would put an end to all the drama surrounding The Batman, John Campea is now claiming that three separate sources have told him over the past four days that Affleck no longer wants to be The Dark Knight in the DCEU.

"Ben Affleck, make no mistake, he does want out," Campea shared on today's episode of Collider Movie Talk. "He doesn't want to be Batman anymore." He added, "I've been told, Ben Affleck is talking with Warner Bros. in an attempt to get out of being Batman. And if they do not let him out of being Batman, the standalone Batman film that ultimately happens will be the last time we see Ben Affleck as Batman."

Ben Affleck Reportedly Doesn't Want to Play Batman Anymore

Update: January 30, 2017

Ben Affleck Steps Down as Director for New BATMAN Movie

Batman-v-Superman-Batman-060116-Dragonlord.jpg

Ben Affleck has decided to step down as director of The Batman and remain on as a producer and star of the project.

Affleck is still on board to play the superhero, but sources close to the talent said Affleck and Warner Bros., after discussing how to best make the film possible, came to the decision together.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Affleck and Warner Bros. will now begin searching for a new director. Sources say there is a shortlist and that War for the Planet of the Apes helmer Matt Reeves is among those on the list.

“Warner Bros. fully supports Ben Affleck’s decision and remains committed to working with him to bring a standalone Batman picture to life,” the studio said a statement.

Affleck has completed work as the Caped Crusader in Justice League, which opens Nov. 17, and he was preparing to go into prep on the solo Batman movie this summer. Affleck co-wrote the script with Geoff Johns.

There had been rumblings that Affleck was considering not directing the film during the past month, but in recent weeks sources say the multi-hyphenate came to the decision it was best to let the directing job go and focus on playing the part.

Ben Affleck Will No Longer Direct 'The Batman' But Will Still Remain as Producer and Star (Exclusive)

Update: August 29, 2016

Joe Manganiello Cast as Deathstroke in Ben Affleck's BATMAN Movie

Joe-Manganiello-Deathstroke-031115-Dragonlord.jpg

Batman will face comic book villain Deathstroke, played by True Blood star Joe Manganiello, in Ben Affleck’s first solo movie playing the Dark Knight.

Affleck recently shared a video online of Manganiello in his Deathstroke get-up, but didn’t reveal the actor underneath the mask or what role the character would play in upcoming films. The actor is also known for his role in the Magic Mike Movies.

DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns confirmed the casting in his first interview discussing his new role overseeing Warner Bros.’ movies based on DC Comics characters.

Johns declined to comment on whether Deathstroke has a cameo in Justice League, which is currently shooting in London. Johns also declined to say when the Batman movie will be released, although the earliest it could likely hit theaters is 2018. Johns and Affleck are writing the script for the new Batman movie, which will be directed by Affleck.

Joe Manganiello Will Play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie

Update: August 29, 2016

First Look at Deathstroke, Reportedly Will Be the Main Villain in BATMAN Solo Movie

x3cpbo.jpg

Ben Affleck tweeted a video that appears to be test footage for the new movie, featuring the DC Comics villain Deathstroke.

Ben Affleck wasn't just teasing: Deathstroke will, in fact, be the main antagonist of the Batman standalone movie he’s directing, TheWrap has exclusively learned from an individual with knowledge of the situation.

Earlier this morning, the actor who plays the Dark Knight posted a cryptic tweet of the new villain walking toward the camera in very cinematic fashion, which sent fanboys into a frenzy of speculation.

Deathstroke was created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez. He is a mercenary and assassin who first appeared in “The New Teen Titans” #2 back in 1980.Wizard magazine rated him the 24th greatest villain of all time.

There is speculation that Joe Manganiello might be playing Deathstroke. The actor is currently in London, the central hub of all things DC Films. Justice League is shooting at Warner Bros. Studios London, so the location is right. In a picture he posted with his wife, actress Sofia Vergara, he's even sporting a variation of the 'ole high and tight, and a nice goatee - a similar look to what Slade Wilson usually sports in the pages of DC Comics and his animated style.

There's more from Twitter as well, though, as Manganiello's most recent follow is none other than Justice League director Zack Snyder.

Back in March 2015, Manganiello was rumored to be up for the role of Deathstroke in Suicide Squad.

Deathstroke Will Be Main Villain in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie; Joe Manganiello Playing Deathstroke?

Update: June 21, 2016

Ben Affleck Confirms Directing Solo BATMAN Movie and Shares Script Details

Batman-v-Superman-Ben-Affleck-Jeremy-Irons-Dragonlord.jpg

Batman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and The Flash come up with a plan to attack a nest of parademons with the help of some detective work from Jim Gordon. A bell rings and someone on set yells, “Cut!” Batman promptly removes his cowl, showing off some raccoon looking eyes from the eye black and walks over to group of reporters standing beside the gigantic Gotham City Police Department rooftop set.

Suddenly, Batman is a very enthusiastic and excited Ben Affleck.

Affleck fielded questions of all types from reporters for almost fifteen minutes. On top of promising a more fun and humorous film with Justice League by comparison to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Affleck confirmed he will go on to direct a standalone Batman film in the near-future.

“Why I'm an executive producer is because I'm directing another one of the movies, and so there's some cross pollination of story and characters and I don't want to give any stuff of that away, but it just basically means that there might be some things that happen in my Batman that are affected by [this film],” Affleck starts. “Here we are in the police station in Gotham City, so there's an example of something that might potentially also exist in that story.”

“It's a creative way that DC came up with, both being a filmmaker driven company and entity and also making sure that the right hand sort of knows what the left hand is doing.” Affleck explains. “If there's collaboration and supervision, so somebody doesn't go sailing off causing problems for your movie with their movie. Basically, it's also in a way a kind of courtesy. You know what they're doing and so one hand knows what the other is doing. I get to weigh in on stuff that impacts the Batman stuff.”

As for when the film will arrive, Warner Brothers and Affleck seem to be on different pages (literally.) “I think they have a date for it,” Affleck says before sharing his case. “Although I don't know that I would necessarily be able to make that date. I don't have a script that's ready yet. My timetable is just that I'm not going to make a movie until there's a script that I think is good, because I've been on the end of things when you make movies with a script that's not good yet and it doesn't pan out.

“I have a script. We're still working on it and I'm not happy enough with it yet to actually go out there and make a Batman movie, which I would have the highest of standards I would say. It's something that would have to pass a very high bar for me. It's not like, ‘Yeah, this might be fun. Let's go bang this out.’”

Ben Affleck Confirms Directing Batman Standalone Film, Shares Script Details

Update: June 21, 2016

First Look at the Upgraded Batmobile for JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie [Updated]

Though Batman's powerful ride looks mostly the same as it did upon its debut in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, some changes have been made to its weaponry, which can be seen in the images. Concept art for the Batmobile also showed a large cannon attached to the top of the vehicle, resembling an oversized .50 caliber rifle.

bamobile.jpg

While on the set of Justice League, production designer Patrick Tatupoulos pointed out the new additions to the Batmobile such as new machine guns on the front and sides of the ride, cannons and missile launchers. The armor of the vehicle is not improved but Bruce Wayne, at some point in the film, has realized the he'll need more weaponry to take on The Batmobile won't have any non-lethal weapons attached to it... Batman still means business.

r7qf5k.jpg

The Batmobile isn't the only vehicle Bruce Wayne has been working on in the time between Dawn of Justice and Justice League. We also got a look at the set and concept art for his new "Crawler" vehicle which will be used to infiltrate a nest of Parademons and saw the Justice League troopcarrier, a B-52 sized aircraft which will carry the team and the Batmobile into battle under the name, "Flying Fox."

25f183be-adca-4d71-9a16-e4da9bede967-186687.jpg

First Look at the New Batmobile for the Justice League Movie

Update: June 1, 2016

Ben Affleck Says BATMAN Standalone Movie Would Be an Original Story

2iji7ly.jpg

There's been a lot of rumors from both fans and publications about Ben Affleck's (currently untitled) Batman solo film and what it might adapt from the comics. One of the more notable rumors was the "Under The Hood" storyline, considering that Jason Todd's Robin suit was featured in Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice.

However, according to Affleck, who is also directing and co-writing he film with Geoff Johns, he plans to put an original spin on the film's story. "I think what I would do, what I probably would do, is in some ways what Zack did with this movie, which is to borrow certain things from the great comic books, but create an original story around it because I wouldn't want the fans to already know the story and be familiar, but I would borrow, steal, great things that have been done before in the comics."

Of course, this doesn't rule out elements from "Red Hood" or other stories making their way into the film; Batman V Superman pulled several elements from notable comics, including
The Death Of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns.

Ben Affleck Says His Batman Standalone Movie Will Feature an Original Story

Update: May 1, 2016

Rumor: BATMAN Movie Will Have Lots of Villains; Might Not Adapt UNDER THE RED HOOD

Batman-Rogues-Gallery-Dragonlord.jpg

Who will be the villain in Ben Affleck's standalone Batman movie?

A lot of people are speculating that it'll be a version of Under the Red Hood, in which dead Robin Jason Todd returns from the grave as a vengeful villain. Birth.Movies.Death is hearing that is not the case (and it's smart to avoid - it would look too much like DC is doing their own Winter Soldier at this point).

According to BMD's sources, many, if not most, members of Batman's rogue's gallery will be making appearances in the film. It's going to be crammed with Bat villains, which means that just about every major bad guy you've ever wanted to see in a movie will be in this movie.

Per BMD's sources, Affleck and Geoff Johns want to make the definitive Batman film. They want to tell the ultimate Batman story, and to do so they're going to bring in all the big guns. They're going to have a big, sprawling Bat universe already in place.

The site speculates that most of these will be cameos, possibly characters appearing in Arkham Asylum (could they be doing a weird adaptation of Arkham Asylum? But that still means we're gonna have a lot of villains showing up, which means a lot of interesting casting, and a lot of interesting possibilities for future films.

This certainly fits in with the larger DC movieverse model, which is to introduce everything already developed in one fell swoop as opposed to building it up. When it comes to Batman, that's acceptable since everybody in the world knows who The Penguin and The Riddler are, and audience probably don't need to watch their first meeting with Batman yet again.

You Will Probably See Your Favorite Villain in Ben Affleck's Batman Movie

Update: May 21, 2016

Dead Robin in BATMAN V SUPERMAN Confirmed as Jason Todd

Batman-v-Superman-Robin-Costume-032616b-Dragonlord.jpg

Several days ago, the Warner Bros. Studio Tour Hollywood official Facebook page posted video in which tour guide John Kourounis provided a live tour of the DC Universe: The Exhibit. When he got to the Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice portion of the exhibit, he revealed that Jason Todd is indeed the dead Robin.

“This was one of the big things from Batman v Superman, right across this way. The Jason Todd/Robin suit,” Kourounis said. “Spray painted on the front, ‘Ha-Ha. The joke’s on you Batman.’ Those of you that know the storyline, know what happened to this Robin.”

Dead Robin In Batman V Superman Confirmed As Jason Todd

Update: April 29, 2016

Rumor: Ben Affleck, Geoff Johns to Have Complete Creative Control Over BATMAN Movie

Batman-v-Superman-Bruce-Wayne-Batcave-Dragonlord.jpg

According to a new rumor on Heroic Hollywood, Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns will have "complete creative control" on the Batman solo film. The pair will be able to make every call on the film, as far as its direction, its story, and how it all plays out.

If the report is true, Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Charles Roven or any other frequent DCEU overseer will have no say on whatever Affleck and Johns ultimately cook up for the Batman standalone movie.

The site further reports that Affleck is taking the lead and Johns is more of a consultant, providing necessary references to comic book lore and not necessarily shaping the story.

The film is currently without a release date but Warner Bros. has snagged two dates in 2018 and 2019 for future DCEU installments. It's probable that one of those dates will be given to the standalone Batman film.

Ben Affleck And Geoff Johns Rumored To Have Complete Creative Control Over The Solo BATMAN Movie

Update: April 12, 2016

Warner Bros. Confirms Solo BATMAN Movie in the Works with Ben Affleck

Batman-v-Superman-Armored-Batman-032516-Dragonlord.jpg

At the Warner Bros. panel at CinemaCon in Las Vegas Tuesday evening, CEO Kevin Tsujihara first took the stage to give a general rundown of upcoming movies from the studio. After saying they have "at least 10" DC Comics movies coming in the next five years., Tsujihara finally gave studio confirmation to a long-rumored product.

"We're working with Ben Affleck on a standalone Batman movie," the CEO announced.

This is the first confirmation from a Warner Bros. executive that the movie exists, though there have been little quotes and hints here and there about the film. The rumors that Affleck would be writing and starring in a Batman film, possibly directing as well, have been going almost since he was cast in the role. More recently, it was said that he and Geoff Johns, CCO of DC Entertainment, were working on the script together.

That rumor was backed up by a talent agency CEO who said "there's a script [Affleck]'s written that's a really cool [Batman] idea." Affleck himself said that "Geoff Johns is a brilliant guy. He and I are working together on something and I really am excited about it, and I love him, he's the best."

Warner Bros. CEO Confirms Batman Standalone Film with Ben Affleck In Development

Update: March 30, 2016

Ben Affleck Has Written His Own BATMAN Movie Script

Batman-v-Superman-Wayne-Mausoleum-Dragonlord.jpg

For the fans who found Ben Affleck's Dark Knight to be the highlight of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, some good news: not only will he return for the Justice League movies, but there's the possibility of an additional Batman movie based on Affleck's own take on the character.

In a Hollywood Reporter covery story with William Morris Endeavor's co-CEOs Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell, Whitesell reveals how many movies Affleck has currently signed up for when it comes to DC's Caped Crusader.

"He's contracted to do at least Justice League One and Two, so at least three times wearing the cape," he says, adding, "there's a script that he's written that is a really cool [Batman] idea, so that's out there as an option."

This isn't the first time the Affleck-originated Batman movie has been raised. During San Diego Comic-Con last year, THR reported that the actor/director was developing a stand-alone Batman project with DC Entertainment CCO Geoff Johns, with Affleck tentatively attached to direct, as well as star in.

Ben Affleck Has Written His Own Movie Script for a Solo 'Batman' Movie

Update: October 30, 2015

Red Hood to Play a Major Role in BATMAN Solo Movie and Other Details

Red-Hood-Batman-103015-Dragonlord.jpg

JoBlo has got some juicy tidbits on the developing solo Batman film, as well as one of the key players that is set to make his big debut there: The Red Hood, aka the resurrected Jason Todd.

To put it simply: Red Hood will play a major role in it, especially for Batman. A while back Latino Review ran a scoop that Red Hood was a "priority" character and that lines up with what JoBlo has heard as well. JoBlo's sources indicate that Red Hood will be a key player in the first new solo Batman film, which is said to be adapting both the "A Death in the Family" and "Under The Hood" storylines from the comics.

Essentially, Red Hood is DC's answer to Marvel's Winter Soldier; former sidekicks gone evil and seeking a chance at redemption.

According to the site's sources, the basic plotline of Ben Affleck's solo Batfilm is that Jason Todd has returned from the grave as the Red Hood, working in the shadows to make people think he's Batman, while making Batman look like a criminal. At the same time he leaves clues about his identity for Batman to ultimately solve, leading to a confrontation that will involve Batman, Red Hood, and yes, The Joker, who will feature as a primary villain alongside Red Hood.

Dick Grayson is now Nightwing and will be referenced but not seen in Batman v Superman. However, Grayson is expected to show up in the solo Bat-film, assisting Batman in his battle against Red Hood and The Joker.

In terms of casting for Red Hood, it looks like the studio is looking for an unknown to fill the role, much like Ray Fisher for Cyborg. In terms of his look, he'll look very much like he does in the comics, as well as his Arkham Knight videogame series appearances.

Exclusive: Details on Solo Batman Film and Key Characters and Storyline Revealed

Update: August 7, 2015

Ben Affleck Reportedly Offered to Star in Three BATMAN Films

Batman-Affleck-Snyder-080715-Dragonlord.jpg

Just like he does with everything else, Batman is dominating the DC Cinematic Universe. According to rumors from Warner Bros. insiders, the future of DC Movie slate will now center around Ben Affleck's Dark Knight. The sudden (but really, unsurprising) pivot came after an early cut of Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice was shown to a small group of Warner Bros. executives. The big wigs were reportedly so impressed with the film, that they gave it a standing ovation.

And much of that applause was for Ben Affleck and his performance as Batman. The executives are so impressed, in fact, that they are reportedly trying to get Affleck on-board for three stand-alone Batman films. Affleck's Batman, and these movies, would reportedly become the cornerstone of DC's other movies, with one Warner boss reportedly calling Affleck the "definitive Batman."

Per Deadline, Warner Bros. has moved the the release dates of two films involving Affleck. The Accountant, which is to be directed by Gavin O'Connor and star Affleck, has been moved from its January 29, 2016 date to October 7, 2016 and Live By Night, which Affleck is on board to direct, has been pushed from that aforementioned October 7, 2016 date to a to-be-announced 2017 date.

The delaying of the Affleck-involved films seems to reiterate the rumor which spawned out of Deadline before San Diego Comic Con, entailing Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns teaming up to write a freestanding Batman movie for Affleck to direct and star in.

Batman v Superman Screening Gets Standing Ovation, Affleck Getting Long Term Deal

Update: July 9, 2015

Ben Affleck to Direct and Co-Write with Geoff Johns Solo BATMAN Movie

oMZ0AjK.jpg

Acting A-lister Ben Affleck is teaming up with comic book A-lister Geoff Johns for a new Batman movie. The two are developing a plan that Affleck will direct and star as the Caped Crusader in a feature he would tackle after he directs the Prohibition-era crime drama Live by Night.

That Affleck was to direct a Batman stand-alone movie isn’t new. The actor made that a condition when he signed on to act as Bruce Wayne/Batman in 2013.

And while Warners' slate of movies based on DC characters was missing a stand-alone Batman movie, the studio always planned for one (or more) to be in the works to complement a schedule that included lesser-known heroes. Affleck is also expected to appear in the studio's Justice League movies.

Deadline's studio sources reports that Affleck and Johns are well in synch and have more than found their rhythm. In fact, they are likely to turn in a script before the end of the summer, prior to Affleck going off to direct Live By Night in November. Affleck postponed that pic to star in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice. The Batman movie would shoot after he finishes Live By Night, and the plot would reflect the Batman character that emerges after Batman V Superman and Justice League, the latter of which comes out November 17, 2017.

DC and Warner Bros. have set a long list of superhero movies that take the Marvel formula of interspersing characters from one film to the next, so it’s unclear when Affleck’s Batfilm will be slotted.

But it clearly will take priority, and other movies might have to move to get out of its way. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige has defied the odds and turned one Marvel character after another into hit films, this new development is a confidence booster for DC Films. The best Batman blockbusters had a real sense of visual authorship, originated by Tim Burton, with the latest arc by Christopher Nolan. Now it falls to Affleck, who’ll creatively steer the Batman franchise after directing the Best Picture winner Argo and co-scripting and directing the gems The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Helped by the collaboration with DC-savvy Johns, this might be the most exciting news to hit the Con this weekend.

Comic-Con: Ben Affleck to Direct and Co-Write with Geoff Johns on Solo 'Batman' Movie

im still such a fan of Nolan's Batman that i dont know how is this gonna work, hopefully he does a good job because lets face it, nobody needs another batman forever disaster

Yeah.. hard to beat Bale as Batman imo

Just gonna throw this out there. Affleck's best acting jobs have been in movies he directs. It might work.

im still such a fan of Nolan's Batman that i dont know how is this gonna work, hopefully he does a good job because lets face it, nobody needs another batman forever disaster

I think you're thinking of Batman & Robin, Forever isn't that great itself but by no means the trainwreck that B&R was. But I think Affleck's track record as a director and the fact that he really seems to understand what makes Batman a great character by keeping the character dark that it won't go down that bad direction. A Batman movie is actually the DC stand alone movie I want to see the most of them all.

I'm interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back