It's not Damian Maia's opponents, it's Damian himself

Having no plan other than shooting for takedowns without any setup took him way further than it ever should have. To stop him, you have to fight super boring unfortunately. Either win super boring or lose to a spectacular submission. Not much in between.

Yes, yes it is Maia's fault.

You do understand the threat of a takedown is a thing right? Like the other guy listed, 4 of the most boring fights in the UFC have had Maia involved in them and they all pretty much looked the same

You can't expect everyone to just grapple with you, you can't be that 1 dimensional and still act like everyone else is the problem

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. Congrats.

Maia is a fighter which is more then most of us apart from the Sherbros millionare club.

Nate the Great is a one of a kind legend!

He's terrible. He has been for many years. He can only win when someone let's him get enough to get a submission.

It’s a very far stretch to say he’s terrible. He is very, very good at what he does. The only problem is if he were to walk up to his opponent and tell them his game plan they would say “Yeah, I know.”

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. Congrats.

Wanna explain why or you just gonna say "it's too dumb to explain"?

If one guy is consistently having boring fights despite fighting different fighters, it's clearly his fault.

It's so tough to watch because his desparation is palpable. Like you can see he knows he needs that TD. But if they don't give it up it gets to the point that it's sad.

His rock hard head makes KOing him stupid hard too.
he also has some of the worst takedown attempts ive ever seen. it amazes me he EVER gets anyone down with that sad looking shit.

I blame his opposition more often than not. They had the fight where they wanted it, but couldn't do shit. Fuck, Maia was chasing Silva around the ring and Silva got warned from the ref for inactivity.

2yvl7yd.jpg

But hey, it's Maia's fault.
Silva wanted to rock before but Maia was flopping so Andy said fuck it imma troll

His downfall is two fold. He's now 40 and his last 3 fights have been against awful styles for him. He looks dominant when he's able to grapple with guys like Matt Brown, Carlos Condit, Neil Magny, etc. Usman, Covington and Woodley are all standout wrestlers that Maia's trips and single legs don't work against. Combine that with the fact that his physical abilities have diminished in the last few years and he can look like a fish out of water. If you put him back in with an average to below average wrestler he probably grapplefucks them to a sub or UD.

He will be cut now imo. He has nothing to offer. The fights are boring and even his opponent who wins looks crap.

MIXED martial arts.

GSP is a “Karate dude,” and the best mma wrestler in the sport.

Hendo was an H-Bombing “wrestler dude.”

If you’re one dimensional in MMA, you’re gonna have shitty fights.

If all you are in MMA is a “BJJ dude”, then you’re very likely to suck.
ah ...who´s not one-dimensional... dont dream too much...

Maia vs Usman
Maia vs Anderson
Maia vs Woodley
Maia vs Weidman

4 of the worst fights in UFC yesterday. Maias a true gentleman but if he can't get you to the ground he sucks.

The Colby fight sucked too.

It’s a very far stretch to say he’s terrible. He is very, very good at what he does. The only problem is if he were to walk up to his opponent and tell them his game plan they would say “Yeah, I know.”
In MMA that means you suck.

One thing I do think people tend to ignore is that sub grappling is clearly dependant on agility just as much as any other part of MMA, indeed perhaps moreso than any other aspect. Guys like Maia, Jacare and Werdum are still obviously dangerous fighters but they don't have the same ability to grab quick submissions they did a decade ago.

Idk if you're speaking from experience, but imo the primary reason they don't get as many subs is 1. level of competition and 2. everyone in mma pretty much has black belt defense it's pretty tough to take down and submit a knowledgable fighter within 5 minutes

Back