It's distasteful to me that GSP has no interest in fighting Woodley

GSP GOAT. Woodley has a long way to go to even be mentioned alongside GSP. Plus he is not a draw and GSP only has a few fights left in him why not make the most $$$$ out of it?

GSP GOAT. Woodley has a long way to go to even be mentioned alongside GSP. Plus he is not a draw and GSP only has a few fights left in him why not make the most $$$$ out of it?

Because Khabib is a huge draw?

I guess you think it's coincidence that GSP got beat up in his last fight at WW and now he's avoiding his natural weight class?

And you have to be kidding me that you think GSP was ever going to fight Whittaker, let alone DC. That's absolutely laughable.

This is a guy who avoided Silva for years during his prime, saying he was too small.

You must be completely delusional if you actually believe the crazy shit you're saying.

GSP got beat up worse by Penn in his first fight than by Hendricks, and Hughes and Serra both finished him, which is worse than either GSP-Penn 1 or Hendricks. If being beat up was enough reason for GSP to leave WW he'd have quit after the Penn fight. If losing was enough reason for him to leave WW he'd have left after Hughes, and definitely after Serra, who hit him harder than anyone else has hit him.

Basically he left because after a decade he'd had enough - my guess is he got tired of the constant training and pressure (read some of what he's said about alien encounters, doesn't that sound like someone who's under too much pressure?). So he retired and did nothing for four years, and good for him. He'd made it to the top, and sooner or later everyone has to retire.

But somewhere in there his financial manager told him he's never going to make the kind of money he makes fighting doing anything else (unless he can do the Foreman grill thing), so he's come back for the money. Fine, I can understand that. But there's no way the UFC should allow him to do title fights - not at LW, not at WW, not at MW.

What I find weird is people who think it was wrong for him to get a title fight with Bisping, wrong for him to get a LW title fight, but okay for him to fight Woodley for the WW title. He hasn't fought at WW in five years, he's done nothing to deserve a WW title fight. Let's at least be consistent about earning title fights, he's either earned any of them or none of them. And I'd say one fight in five years means none of them.

He asked for that opportunity. That is certainly on him. Of course I criticize the UFC just as much.

There's nothing wrong with him asking for and receiving what he wants. GSP only had a responsibility to his own interests

There's nothing wrong with him asking for and receiving what he wants. GSP only had a responsibility to his own interests

Which is exactly what this thread is criticizing. His own interests in avoiding Woodley to fight weaker competition.

Tyron, who was destroyed by Red King Rory, and Rory is GSP's pupil.

Tyron's not a money fight - GSP wants a few money fights. He's earned that right, if anyone has.

This also has nothing to do with "weaker competition", that's just noise. In a week or two, everyone saying that will go back to making excuses for every GSP opponent, which is what GSP haters do. This is about money fights - Oh, and if Tyron went against GSP, we would see Tyron get tooled again just like he did by Rory. If this is about competition, GSP wants to compete for the most money - and Tyron isn't the most money.

Maybe Tyron should work on that. Though i am not sure being an unlikable racist will help him become that big money draw he's said he wants to be. After all, you must also be bitter that when Tyron won his strap he ducked the whole division with "injuries" and began calling out money fights instead of "the best competition". But you're not upset about that.

You're just a hater, and a bitter one at that. Save your hate. Tyron's a good fighter but not dominant, and he has a few hard tests coming up.

Woodley failed to earn a title shot against GSP more than once - and GSP went on to wreck the guys who Tyron couldn't beat, like Jake Shields. GSP also trained Red King Rory, who pushed Tyron's bunghole inside out and made him look like a low level guy. Tyron's "domination" has mostly been against fighters who GSP would eat for lunch and still have room for dinner. Tyron has really solid punching power in his division, he also has a good Cain/DC style of wall-n-brawl clinch. Tyron is a good champ - but he's no GSP. GSP has faced meaner strikers, better wrestlers, tougher opponents altogether.

Also - GSP is like, one year older than Tyron and they have a similar number of fights. Neither one outvets the other, and Tyron isn't some "next gen" 24 year old beast. He's a guy who failed to earn a shot every time he fought for one during GSP's reign.

As for Tyron's reign, let' not act like Damian Maia or Darren Till would be a threat to GSP. As for Wonderboy, he would give GSP trouble like he gave Tyron trouble twice, but GSP would beat him too - Tyron hasn't done anything GSP couldn't.

That's a whole lot of words just to say that GSP doesn't want to risk losing to Woodley.

It is an idiotic fight for GSP.

GSP is well past his prime. He is 37 and while that is about the same age as Woodley, GSP has many more miles on the tires. His prime was basically from the ages of 24 to 29.. During that time he was 11-1 at WW and whooped everyone outside of Serra and he avenged it. Then came the ACL injuries. He has never been 100% GSP since that first ACL injury. You could see in the Condit fight, he was going on technique, smarts, and heart more than his classic athletic ability. Still handily beat Condit, Diaz and won the controversial Hendricks fight.

So if he loses to Woodley, people want to crown Woodley as the WW GOAT even though GSP is well past his best. It's a stupid risk at this point. If he was still WW champ the fight would be on. GSP never ducked anyone at WW as the champion. But he can pick and choose now. He has earned it..

GSP is making no secret of the fact that he just wants to take on special challenges at this point

I don't think GSP is too concerned about making Sherdog posters happy.

personally - my preferred fight is GSP-Woodley.

I understand why the challege (and money) of fighting Conor or Khabib could be more interesting. especially since both of those guys would prob be open to a 160 catch weight

I also don't understand the sudden hype for Woodley. he is the same fighter he alwasy was. he destroyed Till. I mean, at the moment Till is not some sort of career defining fighter

GSP is not sticking around to defend a belt. let him have some fun

other than the occasional Anderson fan, nobody with a join date of when GSP was
fighting ever says stupid shit like this
Anderson was before gsp time duphis and i remember gsp rain long and boring pillow hands and lay n pray he built those terms then guy who decisions everybody...wait the clock gsp
Gsp has 12 defences even though many dont consider the hendricks one witch is why hes ww goat hughes only had 4 and hes was second now woodley has 4 hes second if woodley defends 7 to 8 more times not likley at his age hed be the ww goat unless gsp fights him witch wont happen .. But if gsp loses to conor ill throw all gsp goatness out the window and give it to tyron. Because mcgregor will duck him just like gsp

Anderson was before gsp time duphis and i remember gsp rain long and boring pillow hands and lay n pray he built those terms then guy who decisions everybody...wait the clock gsp
Gsp has 12 defences even though many dont consider the hendricks one witch is why hes ww goat hughes only had 4 and hes was second now woodley has 4 hes second if woodley defends 7 to 8 more times not likley at his age hed be the ww goat unless gsp fights him witch wont happen .. But if gsp loses to conor ill throw all gsp goatness out the window and give it to tyron. Because mcgregor will duck him just like gsp
I take it that English isn't your first language. If it is well.....

he loses at 170

he loses everything

Back