It's depressing to think that we may never be able to physicallty travel farther than Mars

Tabarnakos

Ghoul Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Yeah. Just finished watching a 3 hours documentary about the size of the universe and space travel and now i feel sort of depressed and overwhelmed. The universe is sooooooooo fucking huge with so fucking many crazy shits and yet we're probably we'll never be able to explore a fraction of it due to the mind boggling distances to cover and other factors. I mean reaching the nearest star system Alpha Centauri would take 80 000 fucking years and that's assuming you travel at the speed of light. this is batshit insane stuff

I mean only reaching Mars pose quite a few problems but that i think we'll be able to overcome soon enough. Farther than Mars however...i am quite skeptical. With probes like the Voyagers , yeah sure but physically ? Call me pessimist but it's gonna be tough. I don't think going to Alpha Centauri and beyond is feasible with energy based spaceships. I think if we actually do it at some point it will be via star trek like teleportation or some stargate portal stuff.

It pisses me off. I sooo want to know what it out there my curiosity is killing me but deep inside i know that there is a very good chance that we'll probably never know. Fuck this lol

What's you take on the whole size of the universe and space travel stuff ?

How fast could you transport your consciousness through quantum entanglement? That’s what I’m working on. I’ll get you to alpha centuri, my friend. Don’t you worry.

Last edited:
not really depressing, more like fascinating and reality. I'm sick of people saying " the Universe is so big there has to be more life out there" No that's bullshit. there is no life on Mars and there is are no fucking Aliens in other galaxies.

We would be lucky if we could even get some sort or stable space station city...

I don't even like going to the store for beer. But it's for beer so I have to.

I think we could/can, but we're kept shackled by a system where we compete against each other for profit and power rather than cooperate to expand our collective reach. In addition to that, what's really a bit depressing is that we're born as such a primitive species, when you consider the fact that there could very well be intelligent life on such a level (with regards to mental processing and ability) that they can do this:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Alpha Centauri A and B are 4.3 light years from Earth not 80,000

I agree with your basic point though. Knowing that we'll most likely never know what's out there is depressing.

Last edited:
I think we could/can, but we're kept shackled by a system where we compete against each other for profit and power rather than cooperate to expand our collective reach.
And yet competition breeds innovation and without it we would have never even gotten to the moon.
In addition to that, what's really a bit depressing is that we're born as such a primitive species, when you consider the fact that there could very well be intelligent life on such a level that they can do this:

giphy.gif

That's quite the imagination you have. Reality is humans are the most advanced, non-primitive form of life in the known universe. Not sure by what measure we are "primitive" except for these imagined worlds in your head.

Wormholes dude.

Yeah well i guess and it sort of fall into the same category as teleportation and stargates. By that i mean that wormholes could be a way to

not really depressing, more like fascinating and reality. I'm sick of people saying " the Universe is so big there has to be more life out there" No that's bullshit. there is no life on Mars and there is are no fucking Aliens in other galaxies.

We would be lucky if we could even get some sort or stable space station city...

In our solar system maybe not but behond that ? I simply cannot believe that there no other life out there. There are billons of fucking billions of galaxies so it's much more likely than not that there is life out there.

I mean....just look at us and the many different lifeforms there is right here on earth and we're not even a grain of sand in the scale of the universe. There has to be life somehere out there. It's much more probable there is than not imho

Last edited:
Yeah. Just finished watching a 3 hours documentary about the size of the universe and space travel and now i feel sort of depressed and overwhelmed. The universe is sooooooooo fucking huge with so fucking many crazy shits and yet we're probably we'll never be able to explore a fraction of it due to the mind boggling distances to cover and other factors. I mean reaching the nearest star system Alpha Centauri would take 80 000 fucking years and that's assuming you travel at the speed of light. this is batshit insane stuff

I mean only reaching Mars pose quite a few problems but that i think we'll be able to overcome soon enough. Farther than Mars however...i am quite skeptical. With probes like the Voyagers , yeah sure but physically ? Call me pessimist but it's gonna be tough. I don't think going to Alpha Centauri and beyond is feasible with energy based spaceships. I think if we actually do it at some point it will be via star trek like teleportation or some stargate portal stuff.

It pisses me off. I sooo want to know what it out there my curiosity is killing me but deep inside i know that there is a very good chance that we'll probably never know. Fuck this lol

What's you take on the whole size of the universe and space travel stuff ?

The movie Oblivion explores this. There is actually a way. AI can go anywhere and live indefinitely. A sufficiently capable AI will not only go further in terms of distance, it might even push the boundaries of human knowledge due to being free of biological death. Imagine something that can think nonstop and not have to eat, poop, have sex, sleep, war, etc. All the pettiness of humanity

That's quite the imagination you have.

I appreciate the compliment.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."

- Albert Einstien

Sure it may sound like complete science fiction right now but some scientists were able to teleport some data over 3 meters a few years ago. Yeah we're still far away from Star Trek like warp drives but it's a start i guess lol

We're slowly leaving the digital age and entering the quantum age. The more we'll know about quantum physics the more we may be able to do crazy stuff

I appreciate the compliment.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."

- Albert Einstien

Also an expert at missing the point. Touche!

And yet competition breeds innovation and without it we would have never even gotten to the moon.

We went to the moon to outdo the Russians. And ever since we haven't had either a competitive or financial reason to explore space. So progress has stalled and I don't see a reason for it to pick back up.

Nature makes it very difficult.. It's built into the rules tgat you have to advance far as a species to travel through space. It's going to come down to controlling gravity; warping space with mini blackholes or other gravity creating devices. Gravity warps space; that's what it does. Once we can create massive amounts of it focused in certain ways, we can travel further distances than somebody using speed alone.

Alpha Centauri A and B are 4.3 light years from Earth not 80,000

Yeah my bad made a mistake while typing. 80 000 years would be by going at 36,373 miles per hour. At the speed of light it would take 100ish years which is sort of humm.... reasonable i guess considering the distance and scale but the problem is actually attaining the speed of lighjt. Not surre it's feasible with any object that has mass

We went to the moon to outdo the Russians. And ever since we haven't had either a competitive or financial reason to explore space. So progress has stalled and I don't see a reason for it to pick back up.

So we agree then, yeah?

You are saying competition got us into space in the first place, which is what I said as well.

Far from depressing, if you love your life on planet earth there is no need to worry about what's going on out there.

Reason is space colonization for the preservation of the specie aka the human race. With the way things are going we're pretty much gonna be fucked u here on earthp at some point. If not by our very own hands then by nature. And since we've already colonized the whole planet there is only one other avenue and that's space.

Far from depressing, if you love your life on planet earth there is no need to worry about what's going on out there.

Oh i do but scientific curiosity and exploring the unknown is fascinating to me. Also as i said for the long term and preservation of the species when shit goes down here on our beloved earth.

Back